Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barry Penner comments in the Legislature on Cheakamus Steelhead Recovery!  (Read 2291 times)

cohochinook

Barry Penner and the MOE great recovery plan for the Cheakamus for Steelhead as a result of the CN spill! Here's some live transcripts of discussion in Victoria Legislature. As you can see the river has already begun it's incredible RECOVERY!  ???

RECOVERY OF FISH STOCKS
IN CHEAKAMUS RIVER

R. Austin: We learned today that the Cheakamus River is the most endangered river in B.C. as a result of a chemical spill from CN Rail. The Minister of Environment has been advised by numerous groups involved in the clean-up of the Cheakamus River to choose the brood recovery option, which will allow natural steelhead stocks to replenish the river. The minister has stated that he won't choose this option. Will the minister reverse his position? [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

Hon. B. Penner: I'm not aware of having made that statement. The member might want to do his research. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
What I have said, though, is that we need to make decisions based on sound science. It is the science being put forward by professional biologists within the Ministry of Environment that because the Cheakamus is designated a wild steelhead river, it would be best to pursue a wild or natural recovery process. I'm also advised that that position was taken to the Cheakamus River steering committee for discussion last Friday and that we're awaiting official word of what took place at that round-table discussion. I think it's important that we make decisions based on sound science. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

[1435]

I had the opportunity to be there two weeks ago, and I saw some people fishing

H042/dot/1435

for discussion last Friday, and we're awaiting official word of what took place at that round table discussion. I think it's important that we make decisions based on sound science. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
I had the opportunity to be there two weeks ago, and I saw some people fishing. I asked them what they were fishing for, and they said steelhead. I said: "Have you caught anything?" They said: "Yes, three fish." They caught three steelhead, so the river is recovering. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
Obviously, we're angry at what took place, in terms of the derailment and the spill. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

Interjections. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

Mr. Speaker: Members. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

Hon. B. Penner: CN is being held fully responsible for all the costs of not just the immediate response but also the recovery which is ongoing. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

Mr. Speaker: Member for Skeena has a supplemental. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

R. Austin: I'm delighted to hear that there are still three steelhead left in the river. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

Interjections. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

Mr. Speaker: Members. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

R. Austin: Issues surrounding the rehabilitation of any damaged stream are often controversial. However, all stakeholders need to be engaged and heard. In this case the minister has only listened to scientists in his ministry but has ignored the suggestions and concerns of the community involved. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
Concerned groups are requesting the Ministry of Environment take the precautionary approach to capture and breed natural Cheakamus stocks before all steelhead are extirpated from the river. This approach does not commit the Ministry of Environment to anything, and a decision could be made in the future not to use captured broods once the science is clearer. Will the minister reverse his position and listen to the suggestions of the community and their experts? [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

Hon. B. Penner: I'm very surprised to hear a member of the opposition so quickly discount the professional advice of our civil service — people who are trained fisheries biologists. That's a very risky proposition. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
If he took the time to inform himself of this issue, he would take a look at what happened at Mount St. Helens for example around the time of that eruption in 1980. I still remember, having grown up here, the vivid images on television of the Tootle River completely clogged and plugged for two years. That river took time to recover, but I'm told it's back, healthier than ever before. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
There is an opportunity, if we do things right in terms of habitat enhancement, which we are doing along the Cheakamus…. If we look at nutrient additions into that river, and we are looking at that…. If we direct the new conservation corps program and ask them to develop programs, which they're doing…. There are a lot of things we can do to help nature help itself. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
It's really not helpful to people who rely on the tourism industry for members opposite to get up and say that that's a dead river or somehow imply that it's a dead river. The river was essentially oxygenless for 12 hours on August 5, 2005. But fish that entered the main stream after that 12 hours are doing fine. They're breeding. People are fishing, actively angling. We want to continue that effort, and we will, based on sound science, not short-term politics. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

Eagleye

• Old Timer

I had the opportunity to be there two weeks ago, and I saw some people fishing. I asked them what they were fishing for, and they said steelhead. I said: "Have you caught anything?" They said: "Yes, three fish." They caught three steelhead, so the river is recovering.

What a load of malarky! 

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics

you gotta love it when someone with no education on the matter takes it into his own hands to see if the River is going to recover.... so he thinks that making one trip to the river and talking to a fisherman who was probably full of it shows that the river is in full recovery???  what an idiot!!!  I hope he is made to look like the idiot he obviously is

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!