Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River Access  (Read 2004 times)

idspuds

Stave River Access
« on: October 13, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »

Haven't been there for a few years but was wondering what the access is like for the Stave River. I enjoyed fishing it in prior years but have not been there for 4 years or so and heard of construction and parking issues. Will have my 75 year old father in law with so long walks are not really an option. Also any reports on how chum fishing, we don't care to keep fish but would like to catch some. Any advice is helpful thank you in advance.

bobby b

Re: Stave River Access
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »

East side is accessable but is a long walk from where you can park.
West side is not too far or difficult a walk from roadside parking, although might be a bit muddy/slippery in places. Parking is not bad even when busy...
Apparently Chum are there but not sure of numbers... might check it out later today.

HTH

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »

Although plenty of roadside parking, the east side is usually pretty swampy wading. Not sure I'd take a 75-year-old through that.

bobby b

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »

Depends on the 75 year old.
I talked to a 77yr old yesterday who was fishing the Vedder that just spent 2 months camping and fishing alone in north Van Island.

Yes it is swampy but not extreme at all.

idspuds....you should really just go check it out and see for yourself, only you are gonna know if your father in law would be capable.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:04:26 PM by bobby b »

idspuds

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »

Thanks everyone for your responses I talked to my father in law (who's in pretty good shape for his age) and we decided to check it out when we get there, sometimes a little more effort and hiking  could mean fewer fishermen. He's looking forward to fighting his 1st chum so hopefully the fish are there and agreeable to being caught. Thanks again guys.