Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Master Fisherman or Unethical Meat Fisherman-Comments???  (Read 10500 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Master Fisherman or Unethical Meat Fisherman-Comments???
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »

Chris and a few others got into a unusual amount of sockeye on bar rigs this year that almost equaled the number of springs they got into. But if you look at it as a whole, the number of sockeye Im aware of being caught on a bar rod over 20 years is about the same as the number caught this year. Very weird!! Would be nice if this trend continued so we can perhaps get this snagging toned down, but also maybe it will reduce openings when sockeye runs of concern are in the river. Dont think either will happen as sockeye just dont seem to reliably bite the current bar fishing method. 

So you see fish is unpredictable. One year one method might be for a specie the next... skunk.

funpig

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2005, 03:47:56 PM »

This is a legitimate way to fish.  It's called high-sticking;  I read it in some trout fly fishing book.  You pull out five ten feet of line and you basically drop the fly (bait, hook or what have you) in front of the fish and entice it to bite without casting.  In fact, in the days before reels and when they used braided horse hair died to the end of a stick, that was how they fished.

I've watched a couple of guys do this on the vedder.  At first, I thought they were snagging, but each time the fish was hooked in the mouth.  Also, they were not yanking or snagging.  I've seen guys liimit out after a couple of hours when everybody else is skunked after fishing all day.  I've tried it but I just don't have the patience to sit there and watch the same spot for five, ten, fifteen minutes for a fish to swim by.

I'm one of those guys who really enjoys winging that fly or float out there (whether there's fish out there or not).  I know it's stupid but it seems like I (as many others) am always trying to cast to the other side of the river to catch fish.  Logically, there should be just as many fish swimming right by my feet.  I guess I get more of a rush out of 50 foot casts and long drifts instead of just dropping the hook and leading a fish for 50 inches.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 03:58:51 PM by funpig »

funpig

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2005, 03:57:05 PM »

BTW Regarding polarized sunglasses, a cheap pair should work as well as an expensive pair.  An expensive pair may have less distortion with higher quality lens (and the fancy name) but the polarizing filter effect should be just as good.  You can increase or decrease the polarizing effect by rotating the lens clockwise or anti-clockwise (just move your head from side to side).  You will notice that they seem to get darker or lighter.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 04:14:26 PM by funpig »

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2005, 02:16:10 AM »

If these skilled master fishermen can consistently hook fish in the mouth without yanking their rod and they are so selective that their technique does not harm any unwanted species, why not?  I have seen another version of this technique done by an older gent at the Vedder.  He limited out in coho consistently while others failed.

His technique requires total stealthy set up.  He dressed in camouflage, used a small 6' rod, very light line, 12" leader, small size 4-6 soft hooks, spilt shots & no float.  When I asked him why no float, he replied that the float can sure spook the coho because it makes a big splash, and because it is too visible. He walked upstream & stalked coho from behind or concealed behind bush to make sure he is invisble to the fish.  When he spoted a coho from behind the fish, he stripped out the line, then make a skillful and accurate under-handed cast without the slightest movement of the small rod to avoid spooking the coho. His smalll hook baited with a small piece of coloured foam would land about a foot infront of the coho which inhales it because the fish is totally unspooked.  He explained that unspooked coho will bite the light & momentary presentation out of instinct because it has no time to think.  Every fish I saw him caught was hooked in the mouth. He made no attempt to floss the fish, as his leader is short, and he did not set the hook until the fish was head-shaking.  Who will use that kind of light outfit to intentionally snag fish? There was no way to land a fish with those small hook if not hooked in the mouth.

There are a few of these master fishermen skillful & artful in their own brand of techniques out there.  Who is to say that their style is less ethical than yours, when yours can be foul-hooking a lot more fish than theirs.  I don't think it is fair for us to make harsh judgement of other fishermen's style while we don't fish their style, particularly if their style catches fish legally.  There is always the danger of stereotyping and piting one group against another.   Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 02:22:21 AM by liketofish »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2005, 10:27:53 AM »

Completely legitimate technique IMHO.
When the terminal is simply sitting in the flow, it will be immediately DOWNSTREAM of the weight that takes it there. A lift of 6-12" as described is by no means a flossing rip! It is instead a subtle movement to do exactly what it does, make the target fish believe that offering is escaping. It works well, and I've used it on occasion myself. Sounds to me like that fellow knew exactly what he was up to!

Flossing requires the leader to be as close to 90 degrees to the flow from the weight, and generally employs a rather purposefull rip to engage the hook. Not commenting on the method, nor wishing to open that particular can of worms!! Just an observation.

I think "liketofish" said it best:

There are a few of these master fishermen skillful & artful in their own brand of techniques out there.  Who is to say that their style is less ethical than yours, when yours can be foul-hooking a lot more fish than theirs.  I don't think it is fair for us to make harsh judgement of other fishermen's style while we don't fish their style, particularly if their style catches fish legally.  There is always the danger of stereotyping and piting one group against another.

aYup!

Cheers,
Nog - who occasionally has been known to fish for meat  ;)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2005, 11:50:11 AM »

I agree with Iron.  Unless you are a vegetarian or a pure catch & release guy, every time you go out fishing & bring fish home, you are fishing for meat. Perhaps meat fishermen are the norm.  :D

We have to be careful to label some one who is good at limiting out in coho as 'meat' fishermen.  If we develop a popularized mentality that every time we see a guy walking out with 4 chrome coho while others seem to struggle, he is suspect of illegal activity, or his technique must be questionable or unethical, then we are into stereotyping.  :(

This is particularly dangerous for younger fishermen who have a year or two under their belt and then start formulating this opinion that any one not fishing the way he or his buddies fish does not fit into the norm, and therefore subject to criticism or suspicion.

I treat fishing techniques like martial arts.  There are different masters of different schools or disciplines, and each spent a life time to perfect his/her style, and each is effective and skilled. If you don't practice, say, Tai Chi or Judo, how justified is it to comment that their styles are not legitimate because they don't knock the opponent out with a power punch or a lightning kick?  So should Ali deem Bruce Lee not a legitimate fighter because he does not fit the mode of a boxer and knock you out with his lightning kicks rather than using the fists?   ;D ;D ;D

In fishing, you have guys good at baits, hardwares, flies, artificials and what have u, and within each are subdivided into various types. There are also the people who like to fish w/o spotting the fish, and those who prefers to cast to sighted fish.  I always get a kick out of some of the fishing shows when they cast to huge tarpons crusing by, or barracuda, or bone fish.  The polarized sunglasses are needed for these folks. There is nothing wrong with that. It is up to you to choose how you want to fish legally, and how you enjoy your style is none of the business of others.

Let's have an open mind.  If you see obvious violations, then report.  Otherwise, have some respect for the success of others.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 12:25:01 PM by funfish »

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2005, 10:08:22 PM »

I totally agreed with funfish(well said and well read) and respect others..tight line and have fun. ;)