Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Master Fisherman or Unethical Meat Fisherman-Comments???  (Read 10498 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Master Fisherman or Unethical Meat Fisherman-Comments???
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 10:51:58 AM »

True but don't forget Chris did mentioned they were catching more sockeye on the bar rig than spring.
Is there a absolute selective fishing method?
No matter how you fish. Please be gentle with them if you are not planning to keep them. And if you are not planning to
keep the fish you catch. Try not to put too much stress into them. When you do keep your catch please stay with allowed
limit and what you can consume, no waste.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 04:28:34 PM »

Ok, people are tell me that polarized glasses will help you see fish in water in the right water conditions. I bought a pair of polarized glasses for 5$ a while back and they dont really seem to make a difference, they give you a darker view and take away most of the glare off the water. Is this all they do? Or is my cheap 5$ pair of polarized glasses not doing the trick? Also what exactly helps you see the fish with polarized glasses, and how well do they work?
The Bigger The Better!

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 04:39:12 PM »

Polarized sun glasses takes the glare away on the water,therefore enabling you to see or spot fish easily.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 04:40:44 PM »

Do you think a 50$ pair is any better then my 5$ pair?, other then looks....
The Bigger The Better!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 05:33:26 PM »

Polarized lens filters out certain angle of lights. For most of those polarized glasses only 50 % of light will pass through (darker view). At deep angle (60 degree view angle it does 'see' though water very well. But once view angle decreases say at 30 degrees, it won't make much difference with or without polarized glasses.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 05:43:53 PM »

Big Fisher...read the thread called "know what happened to my cheap gear".  Of coarse quality and effectiveness of a tool is dirtectly corolated to price...unless they're stolen you are not going to get a good pair of polarised glasses for 5 bucks.

Colour of the lens plays a role too.  if its cloudy out then amber or smoke/grey lenses are much better than black as the lighter lenses wont darken things too much.  Some times when spotting fish, you are simply looking for a contrast so every bit of light helps.

As well, I find that a tight fit is critical.  Polarized glasses are to block reflected light off the water, if they sit too far out on the bridge of your nose then the light sneaks in underneithe the frames and this minimises their effectiveness.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 06:29:41 PM »

thanks gooey, yo sound like you know your stuff. Could you recommend a type of polarized eye wear to me. thanks
The Bigger The Better!

reeler

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 08:19:54 AM »

JoeW:

First of all , there are no quasi-or otherwise secret spots anywhere on the Vedder. Even if you bushwack for hours to what you think is virgin territory,you will find a beer can, discarded line and a roe container. The technique is known as the method and some are so adept at it that you can stand and watch them hook several fish and still  not realize what happened. Everything is shortened up, there is no "bait" to be snatched away from an infuriated fish
(I like that part) A small piece of chartreuse or red wool is there only to help the "angler' guide the hook that has been placed slightly upstream and past the fish.  The flow takes it to a point where a sharp upward tug will place the hook right in the mouth. There's no casting,you simply hold the line in your left hand like fly fishing and
swing it out. There's no movement until fish are actually sighted. An expert can select the fish he wants and let others pass. All you need is good polaroids and to find the exact location where fish will certainly pass through. There is one favourite method area at the top of Allison where the canyon pool dumps into the fast chute. You
better get there early! It's jealously guarded by certain individuals. It can also be done by just casting and yanking but this is unnecessary work. The practiced artists dip their offering only when fish are sighted and give the appearance of just watching the water casually. The hardest part is locating the favoured spot in terms of water speed,and most of all,visibility.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 08:36:29 AM »

Well now that I have heard this explanation "the method" does sound like flossing or what have you.  Hard to charge some one on something like this but the fish certainly did not bite the presentation. And with regards to flyfishing there is a big difference in how the fish takes the fly. Whether it be dryfly fishing, streamer fishing or nymph fishing the fish bites the fly because it has been fooled into thinking it is eating a food source. Big difference from this method of fishing.

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2005, 12:18:02 PM »

what makes you a master fisherman??

Double Underhooks

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2005, 12:39:10 PM »

How would it be flossing if the fish bit the roe and was hooked inside the mouth? The tugging just caused the fish to instinctively grab the offering thinking it could lose the opportunity. The fish went to the bait and not the hook 'going' to the fish.
Its the same as when a fish follows a spoon and takes it right before it reaches the shore.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2005, 02:01:15 PM »

#1 - unless you (reeler) where there and saw it then who really know what was going on.  Yes there are a lot of unscrupulous fishers on the vedder but there are a lot of top notch guys too.  With out seeing it first hand, no point in casting stone.

#2 BigFisher, 3 vets has good polarised glasses for 14-25 buck (thats were I got mine).  I would recommend calling them...any more questions, just PM me.

reeler

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2005, 03:02:54 PM »

No, I was not there and I don't remember calling anything illegal, unethical or otherwise casting stones. I read the post and it sounded familiar so I related my experience, that's it.
I stood behind two people and watched them one year, limiting on coho and avoiding chum in a very short time.
I had approached only because I wondered why these guys were  standing on a rock in the fast run below the Cedars wearing sunglases on a dull day, staring at the water and not moving for several minutes. Then - swing, plop, fish on. I even tried it when they left - not a hope in hell, it's a knack I don't have.
I made some inquiries afterward and was told of "the Method" nothing new,both the guys were definitely in their late 50's or so and very efficient.

Rybar

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2005, 06:14:40 PM »

First of all , there are no quasi-or otherwise secret spots anywhere on the Vedder. Even if you bushwack for hours to what you think is virgin territory,you will find a beer can, discarded line and a roe container. The technique is known as the method and some are so adept at it that you can stand and watch them hook several fish and still  not realize what happened. Everything is shortened up, there is no "bait" to be snatched away from an infuriated fish
(I like that part) A small piece of chartreuse or red wool is there only to help the "angler' guide the hook that has been placed slightly upstream and past the fish.  The flow takes it to a point where a sharp upward tug will place the hook right in the mouth. There's no casting,you simply hold the line in your left hand like fly fishing and
swing it out. There's no movement until fish are actually sighted. An expert can select the fish he wants and let others pass. All you need is good polaroids and to find the exact location where fish will certainly pass through. There is one favourite method area at the top of Allison where the canyon pool dumps into the fast chute. You
better get there early! It's jealously guarded by certain individuals. It can also be done by just casting and yanking but this is unnecessary work. The practiced artists dip their offering only when fish are sighted and give the appearance of just watching the water casually. The hardest part is locating the favoured spot in terms of water speed,and most of all,visibility.

Wow! I fished one time with a guy who did EXACTLY as described. He picked out nice Coho out of a pool of hundreds of Chum. I was amazed and watched him do this, he also showed us and it was almost impossible to do. He did use a center pin reel which I am not sure if it makes a difference or not.

I too have always wondered about this "method" and couldn't figure it out, but you have described it almost to the T.

No, I was not there and I don't remember calling anything illegal, unethical or otherwise casting stones. I read the post and it sounded familiar so I related my experience, that's it.
I stood behind two people and watched them one year, limiting on coho and avoiding chum in a very short time.
I had approached only because I wondered why these guys were  standing on a rock in the fast run below the Cedars wearing sunglases on a dull day, staring at the water and not moving for several minutes. Then - swing, plop, fish on. I even tried it when they left - not a hope in hell, it's a knack I don't have.
I made some inquiries afterward and was told of "the Method" nothing new,both the guys were definitely in their late 50's or so and very efficient.

Again, you describe this exactly as I observed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 06:17:52 PM by Rybar »

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 11:49:53 AM »

True but don't forget Chris did mentioned they were catching more sockeye on the bar rig than spring.
Is there a absolute selective fishing method?
No matter how you fish. Please be gentle with them if you are not planning to keep them. And if you are not planning to
keep the fish you catch. Try not to put too much stress into them. When you do keep your catch please stay with allowed
limit and what you can consume, no waste.

Chris and a few others got into a unusual amount of sockeye on bar rigs this year that almost equaled the number of springs they got into. But if you look at it as a whole, the number of sockeye Im aware of being caught on a bar rod over 20 years is about the same as the number caught this year. Very weird!! Would be nice if this trend continued so we can perhaps get this snagging toned down, but also maybe it will reduce openings when sockeye runs of concern are in the river. Dont think either will happen as sockeye just dont seem to reliably bite the current bar fishing method.  :'(
So, I dont know if you can say that bar rods are 100% selective since they do get a very small % of sockeye.  Extremely small numbers yes, but 100% selective, no. Still, much better than snagging which is non-selective, but inaccurate to call it 'selective'.
Im not aware of a method 100% selective for one species of fish, but there are many angling methods that can slant the odds in your favour (in varying degrees depending on the method) of catching a certain species.

Sound advice on the last couple sentences!  Right on. ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?