Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Size of hook for pink salmon  (Read 10550 times)

Dr. Backlash

Re: Size of hook for pink salmon
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »

I agree with Rod - 1/0 or 2/0 in Tidal Fraser

fishman254

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »

For salwater hoochies it's 2/0. 1/0 will do great too. I think 3/0 is too big (good for Chinook though.)

For Spin-n-glows though, I don't think a big hook will work well on the small sized Spin-n-glows.

On freshwater jigs for pinks, I've done terrible when the SHANK is too long to interfere with the action of the plastic part of the jig.

A pink salmon spoon I used recently came with a #6 hook standard. Not sure I'd put on a bigger one in that particular case, though, since I don't know what it's balance would be then.

When fishing saltwater, get a saltwater-rated hook.

Fat hooks are nice, because you'll probably lose fewer pink salmon than with real thin hooks, because of their soft mouths.

A little meat (when legal) on the hook usually results in them holding on longer, so you lose less fish that way. Same goes for a good shrimp scent on the lure.

I'd rather have a super-sharp hook that's a bit off in size, than the perfect-sized hook that's real dull. Many hooks out of the package are not real sharp, by the way. Put a triangle-cut into the point of the hook when sharpening.

Always checks the regs, but in the saltwater when I've legally used a TANDEM hook setup on hoochies (years ago) I lose fewer fish.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:09:46 AM by fishman254 »

fishman254

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »

I agree with Rod - 1/0 or 2/0 in Tidal Fraser
Usually a good policy to agree with rod.   :D

MoeJKU

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »

Wow  you guys use bigger hooks for pinks than i do for springs.
I used 2 for pink, coho  steelies with my jigs and 1's for jigs for  springs and chums.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »

size 4 on my spoons & jigs, size 6-8 for flys, less chance for my to foul hook fish I find, especially the water that i fish.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 08:49:04 PM »

9/0 so I can catch 2 on the same hook  :P

they aren't hook shy nor are they shy of other pinks struggling on a hook  8)

Thanks for the chuckle, but you are not far wrong... salmon and steelhead are not shy.

I use stainless size 4 Mustad 34007 for 90% of my Pink flies. Occasionally I use size 6 and occasionally size 2. I've seldom needed anything larger and it all depends on the size of the fly I want to tie. If I want a really BIG fly then I use a tube fly and a size 4 hook.