Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Wrestling  (Read 10508 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Wrestling
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »

Hey now, Chris and I were just spectators in that incident.... ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2009/01/29/presentation-changes-enticed-a-fish-and-a-half/
That why we called it the "Soccer Field" run. ;D ;D ;D

yoda

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:25 PM »

Thank's rod, iknew there was more than two of you, but yeah, that's the place and time :)
And yes, it was pretty comical to watch.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 04:37:08 AM »

Here is one to mull over. Light is waning and you are the last one left. Last cast time to go. As you are breaking down your rod to head back to you vehicle, you spot a chrome fish rolling and spinning comming down the river from above. This fish is close to the  bank so you go and investigate. It is a wild doe around 12lbs. that is now bellyup with blood pouring out of its mouth and gills. Vehicle is 5 mins. away no one else around. You take the fish or it becomes seagull bait? I took the fish. So which infraction of the law is worse? What you  just read now or the guy who really landed the fish and took out the hook before he bonked it and it tried to get away.
Really? If you don't know that your example is poaching you shouldn't be on the water. Wilds go back. No question.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »

Really? If you don't know that your example is poaching you shouldn't be on the water. Wilds go back. No question.

I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on that...
Lets just say I don't want a $500 fine, no matter what the ethics are behind it. Not to mention potentially having your vehicle and gear seized.

Grabbing a fish that fell off your hook is a lot different (once again) than trying to explain to a CO why you have a wild fish fish in your possession.
I'v had to release a couple bleeders over the years, just something you have to do. Death happens naturally on the systems, a bear or something would have gotten it.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »

Even a dead steelhead won't go wasted as it will feed wild life and/or provide nutrients for the river system.
I don't see justification for picking up a dying steelhead from the river. Especially a wild one.

norton

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 12:40:04 PM »

Island dude what you did is an infraction because you can't retain a wild steelhead. If a fisheries officer stopped you hed charge you . He's probably been given that story a hundred times. , doesn't matter if its going to die or not. The hatchery fish the guy caught isn't an infraction because he hadlready beached the fish and then it flopped to the edge of water.

obie1fish

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »

Bottom line... Man playing fish: great drama. Man rasslin' fish: great humour. ;D ;D ;D

I see it as a good opportunity to remember that we should laugh at ourselves once in a while.