Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Wrestling  (Read 10506 times)

oscar

Re: Steelhead Wrestling
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »

Free entertainment is hard to come by.Would have been pulling for the fish, but understand the "desperation dance" for a CONFIRMED hatchery fish - most of us have been there at some point. IMO - Stay cool, play em' out quickly, and bring them to hand... not as fun to watch, but the most controlled technique.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »

Funny story. LOL
With wilds out numbering hatchery by a wide margin this season, I guess he really wanted to keep it.
As a fisherman I think I can understanding what's driving him.
More of a humourous episode I guess. :)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »

With wilds out numbering hatchery by a wide margin this season, I guess he really wanted to keep it.

Really?  Does anyone else out there think there have been more wild than hatchery fish this season?

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »

Ya, definitely more wild this year.
By the way, how many of you guys will not jump in if you like to eat steelhead and yet has no hatch to show so far, and the hatch is fairly hooked but it pops at the water's edge? I admit I am just human.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »

Ya, definitely more wild this year.
By the way, how many of you guys will not jump in if you like to eat steelhead and yet has no hatch to show so far, and the hatch is fairly hooked but it pops at the water's edge? I admit I am just human.
Many of you may have seen this but on Boxing Day this angler wanted his fish.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA7tKf_8J0o&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ

StillAqua

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »

Do the regs say its illegal to catch fish by hand? (Without using a net or spear)
Yes, it's illegal to catch and retain fish in BC by hand...the regs specify the only ways you can take fish other than angling.
But I guess if you let it go, nobody is going to bust you for "trout tickling".......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tszDNiPqm5c

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »

Yes, it's illegal to catch and retain fish in BC by hand...the regs specify the only ways you can take fish other than angling.
But I guess if you let it go, nobody is going to bust you for "trout tickling".......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tszDNiPqm5c

That fish is so dead...

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »

i have yet to see a fisherman be happy to lose a prize hatch on the beach...now if it was wild, that would be a different story...then again, if you only fish c&r that would also make sense.

Not happy,just amused by getting beat. Once in awhile the fish wins. Some fellas act like its a life or death situation out there when playing a fish. Relax and enjoy it.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »

Do the regs say its illegal to catch fish by hand? (Without using a net or spear)

The regs say the only legal way to catch fish is to "angle" with a line and hook (rod optional), including using down rigger (with quick release), a set line (one unattended line and one hook) in some areas for burbot, and ice fishing (with a hook and line), although you may spear fish (in some areas) for burbot and non game species and trap cray fish.  All other methods of taking fish [including the hand grab] is illegal.
Not all those who wander are lost

dave c

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

Maybe it was the guys 1st Steelhead and i surely would have done this same thing if it was my first.

Sounds like a little bit of jealousy or maybe even sour grapes here.
Not sour grapes at all,  I was happy for the guy when he was fighting it.  I've had my fair share this year.  FAIR share,

norton

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »

First of all Bigfisher your a  real sportsman.lol. Happened to me once , my rod snapped in half just as I was about  to land a steelhead. I jumped on the fish and grabbed it. Got 3rd place in the Boxing Day derby. The difference was the hook and line was still attached to the fish.

islanddude

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »

Here is one to mull over. Light is waning and you are the last one left. Last cast time to go. As you are breaking down your rod to head back to you vehicle, you spot a chrome fish rolling and spinning comming down the river from above. This fish is close to the  bank so you go and investigate. It is a wild doe around 12lbs. that is now bellyup with blood pouring out of its mouth and gills. Vehicle is 5 mins. away no one else around. You take the fish or it becomes seagull bait? I took the fish. So which infraction of the law is worse? What you  just read now or the guy who really landed the fish and took out the hook before he bonked it and it tried to get away.

yoda

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »

Thank's for that clip Chris. I was hoping that you would post that video :)
By the way, I seem to remember Rod and you flopping to get a hatch that popped off above lickman a few years ago.
I was in stitches, too bad that one was only filmed in my mind. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »

Thank's for that clip Chris. I was hoping that you would post that video :)
By the way, I seem to remember Rod and you flopping to get a hatch that popped off above lickman a few years ago.
I was in stitches, too bad that one was only filmed in my mind. ;D

Hey now, Chris and I were just spectators in that incident.... ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2009/01/29/presentation-changes-enticed-a-fish-and-a-half/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »

Does this one count as a catch and release? ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNCQJaO-gUg