Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Wrestling  (Read 10505 times)

dave c

Steelhead Wrestling
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:40:53 PM »

Saw something interesting on the Vedder the other day.  Watched a guy fighting a nice steelhead.  As it got close to shore we could tell it was a hatchery.  Nice fish, about a 10 lb buck.  Just as the fellow was beaching it,  the hook comes out of its mouth.  Now the fish is flopping toward the river (only a couple inches away) the guy drops his gear and literally tackles the fish.  He then proceeds to bonk it.  Now I know he had the fish hooked legally in the mouth, but for some reason him tackling it and bonking it didn't seem right.  Does this mean, when fish are stacked,  lets say at end of coho season .... one can stand very still and tail a fish in a pool and bonk it. Just doesn't seem right. I would think that you should have to gain possession of the fish while the hook is still in its mouth.  Any Thoughts????????????????

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:46:27 PM »

are u effing kidding?! I hope so. The guy obviously did not mind losing all dignity for his fish which sure is not a crime. I remember my brother doin that for me our first season fishing and it was a pink salmon :P

dave c

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »

i am not kidding :-\

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:57:57 PM »

I highly doubt a CO would ticket you if he saw you tackle a fish that you lost.
It is much different than standing in the river and catching fish by hand.

dave c

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »

I highly doubt a CO would ticket you if he saw you tackle a fish that you lost.
It is much different than standing in the river and catching fish by hand.

Agreed, didn't feel right though.  Guess I was pulling for the buck.  Going for the underdog (Leafs fan .... its in our blood)  :)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »

Agreed, didn't feel right though.  Guess I was pulling for the buck.  Going for the underdog (Leafs fan .... its in our blood)  :)

C'mon even the Leafs have developed a bit more of killer instinct this year....   and fishing is also about the meat.  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:30:19 PM »

I catch most my fish by hand. First thing in the morning is the best as they sit in the shallows and are far more easier to grab. It takes a whole hell of alot more skill to catch a fish by hand instead of tricking it to bite.
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:35:08 PM »

I catch most my fish by hand. First thing in the morning is the best as they sit in the shallows and are far more easier to grab. It takes a whole hell of alot more skill to catch a fish by hand instead of tricking it to bite.

I was going to say in my original post... any one that is able to stand in the shallows and grab fish gets props, and I'd let them slide away with their fish in peace  ;D

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 10:55:24 PM »

Maybe his first fish of the season? Seems abit desperate to drop the gear and tackle the fish. If it been me,I would of smiled as the fish swam away.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:04 PM »

If it been me,I would of smiled as the fish swam away.

i have yet to see a fisherman be happy to lose a prize hatch on the beach...now if it was wild, that would be a different story...then again, if you only fish c&r that would also make sense.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:45:57 PM by blaydRnr »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 06:49:21 AM »

Maybe it was the guys 1st Steelhead and i surely would have done this same thing if it was my first.

Sounds like a little bit of jealousy or maybe even sour grapes here.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »

Do the regs say its illegal to catch fish by hand? (Without using a net or spear)
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

chronicfisher

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 08:19:45 AM »

I was going to say in my original post... any one that is able to stand in the shallows and grab fish gets props, and I'd let them slide away with their fish in peace  ;D

x2 probally ask for a few lessons too.but c&r only or in my case mostly releasing without the catching part.

Pin-nook

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »

X3  Seen it quite often actually especially during salmon season! Are people that desperate that they have to drag the fish in quickly and as far up the beach as they can just to retain a fish? I've seen guys drag a fish onto the beach but still be far from the float and leader only to have the hook pop loose and see the guy chuck his gear in pursuit of the fish trying to get back in the water. It's sad really....you have waders and you don't use them?

Hatchery or wild my friends and I play the fish into a good enough landing postion where we can tail it or easily unbutton the hook without putting more strain on the fish but if we happen to lose the fish in the process well it's too bad and carry on.  It's not hard but I guess it comes with experience cause there's still people that can't tail a fish confidently.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »

I find it more silly than offensive.  :D