Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Derby reach  (Read 10526 times)

JamieHugh

Derby reach
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »

I was thinking of getting out to derby reach this weekend. Is anything coming through? What would you reccomend using this time of year? Is it even worth going? I appreciate any help as I am sort of an amature fisherman thanks.

Toprod

Re: Derby reach
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:47:26 PM »

Dont know about Derby Reach, but people fish for steelhead at duncan bar which is a bit further out. They use bar rigs with roe cast only about 40 feet out, apparently any further and there is a tackle eating underwater ledge that gets you snagged every cast. Remember to check the regs and release any wild fish gently.

JamieHugh

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:51:03 PM »

How do you get to duncan bar?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »

check a fraser bar map
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

colin6101

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »

It's on river road just past Poplar Bar, there isn't an actual parking lot there though just park on the shoulder. I've never personally bar fished for steelhead there but I've caught the odd coho and sturgeon in that area during the fall.  

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 03:28:28 PM »

http://www.anglingbc.com/index.cfm/page/187/map.html

South Fraser Valley

Crescent Island lies on the opposite side of the Fraser River from the Stave River, and shelters Glen Valley Regional Park's fishing bars from sight. (A fishing bar is an expanse of riverbed that lies exposed at low tide.) Glen Valley lies 4.3 miles (7 km) east of Fort Langley and, together with Derby Reach Regional Park, offers some of the best saltwater fishing on this section of the Fraser River. Head east from Fort Langley along 88th Avenue: Two-Bit Bar is located at the intersection of 88th Avenue and 272nd Street.

Follow River Road east of Two-Bit Bar to reach Poplar and Duncan Bars, a total distance one way of about 2.5 miles (4 km) between the three sites. Of the park's three fishing bars, Poplar Bar is the largest and offers the most interesting options. You can fish, launch a car-top boat, and explore several riverside trails.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:41:10 PM by troutbreath »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »

gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »

It's on river road just past Poplar Bar, there isn't an actual parking lot there though just park on the shoulder. I've never personally bar fished for steelhead there but I've caught the odd coho and sturgeon in that area during the fall.  
yes it can be rewarding if there at the right time...  i have done well with the jacks, and of course the course fish... but i have fished for the dinos that lurk the mighty fraser with no luck. but with soem exploring and not catching fish. i found some other holes close by that have been productive in the past.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

wonder

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:19:01 PM »

my buddies have caught quite a few stergeon @ derby

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:35:21 PM »

lol i must be blind i cant seem to find duncon bar  ???

You wont if you spell it like that.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 06:46:35 AM »

Above Crescent Island and across from Silverdale is Duncan Bar. Duncan Bar is considered one of the better salmon fishing locations. It produces Chinooks throughout the summer and coho in the fall.

I've caught a few sturgeon caught here and seen the odd coho/spring taken as well. Take River Road from fort langley and follow it along the river

JamieHugh

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »

What would you recommend using at duncan bar this time of year? Bar rig and roe? Spin and glo? Or BBing

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:28 AM »

What would you recommend using at duncan bar this time of year? Bar rig and roe? Spin and glo? Or BBing

I say use bait...maybe a passing steely will be interested. I've never bar fished for steelhead so I've no idea what the chances are.
There is no where near enough current for a spin n glo...well maybe one of those itty bitty small ones.
Don't bottom bounce, steelhead and salmon bite (no salmon moving up right now) and even if that was an option you dont have the curremt for it

JamieHugh

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 11:55:06 AM »

Yeah i was thinking roe and a bar rig might be the best ive never been to duncan bar but it sounds like the same water conditions as derby reach

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 12:11:22 AM »

The only species that you will most likely come across right now is bull trout, possibly a cutthroat trout and on a very rare occasion, a steelhead.

To target any of these species, a chunk of roe anchored on the bottom is your best bet, but it may seem to be a waste for a catch and release fishery (catch and release on all wild bull trout, cutthroat trout and steelhead). I usually prefer to save my roe for a kill fishery such as fall's hatchery coho fishery.

The alternative is to spincast for bull trout with either spoons or spinners. The weather is just a bit too cold right now so the chance of one chasing down your lure is pretty slim. As soon as we get a spike of temperature and some sunny days, fishing should be rather good.

February 19th 2009: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=93

February 20th 2009: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=94

Good luck.