Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lac La Hache .... Looking for Kokanee advice .  (Read 10528 times)

James

Lac La Hache .... Looking for Kokanee advice .
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:06:37 PM »

I am going up to Lac La Hache for the week . I have never targeted Kokanee before . As well , I have never fished in this lake .

What is the typical Kokanee setup ? ... We won't be fly fishing , so gear only . Trolling wedding bands ? Flatfish ? What do you guys use to get down deeper ?

Thanks  :)

Also ... I tried searching for 'kokanee' but didn't get any results , but if there is a thread or something with the info let me know .

fishfulthinkin

Re: Lac La Hache .... Looking for Kokanee advice .
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:06:26 PM »

when you first type in www.fishingwithrod.com up at the top where you clicked on the forum tab there is also a tab that says "fish species" and there is alot
of useful information on alot of different species of fish that you can use
here is a quick link that will take you right to the kokanee:
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fish_profile/kokanee.html
you may find that somewhat useful for them as well as the other species listed
hope that helps
~thinkin'

paulbish

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »

Small gang troll with worm tipped red wedding band and 18" leader on the surface works pretty well. Early morning or late evening is best. Watch for afternoon strorms on that lake the sneak up and are very nasty.

There are also lake trout if you get down deep in the middle of the lake with a big plug (blue and white).

camtheman

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:41:05 AM »

a small lake troll or dodger with bait or wedding band (pink red orange chartruese or black) with bait works really good for me
for bait try a couple garden worms a piece of dew worm white corn or a leach
hope this helps

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »

Orange and pink power bait was doing the trick for me earlier this year. My worms had all died.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 07:56:25 AM »

--I might see you on the lake.. was planning to go to Puntzi in chilcotin but waiting to see about the fires in the area.
--100 mile very smokey as well but no other danger from fires so might just stop at lac la hache.. also have never fished it but am targeting kokanee..

--I prefer wobble type spoons... alone on line or behind small dodger/flasher or troll.
--I don't use bait but sometimes use scent as it does not affect the action of the dodger.

--For colours... chartrues, orange, pink... then black green blue.
--you can get some good information on dodger style fishing and kokanee facts from www.fishwithgary.com a kokanee lure manufacturer.

--many large spoons can be used as dodgers...I use compleat angler crock style spoon with short leader to a tumbler lure.

--the tumbler was intended for river casting as it has reversed spinner blade.. I find when trolled bahind the spoon that the blade has a bit of a wobble plus spins one way then another giving it a unique action.  II use the glow with pink, orange or red combo spoons with a matching crock blade.

--I use downrigger in hot weather to get to the cooler 54 degree water or you can get up a 4 am same as salmon fishing and get some with an ounce of weight long line

--I use Oki tackle mini dodger/flasher.. I call it both as at slow speed it will dodge rather than flash.. especially if trailing a spinner.
--I usually try to match the dodger with similar colour to what is being trailed behind.. seems to help especially if bites are sparse.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:58:08 AM by skaha »

lovetofish

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 04:47:01 PM »

Quite often, those targetting Kokanee will use a snubber? as a bit of a shock absorber between the hook and the lure because the kokanee have very soft mouths

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 08:58:51 PM »

--snubber is valuable especially behind a larger gang troll as even with a flexible rod tip the fish is pulling against the troll.
--I target larger kokanee 3 lb plus.. these are often found in larger lakes that have single barbless hook rule so can be a challenge although I don't find these larger fish have as soft a mouth as the shore spawn kokanee or smaller kokanee.
--I find if you bring them to net or just sweep them into the boat in one motion without hesitation they will not usually get off.
--If you stop the pressure they will shake loose. For whatever reason they don't like being near the boat which is often where you loose them.