Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coquitlam river chum  (Read 10545 times)

yakideath12

Coquitlam river chum
« on: September 26, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »

I just came back from coquitlam river, saw four chums under the kingsway bridge. yay! ;D

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: Coquitlam river chum
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:57:02 PM »

Very interesting - I did not know there was much left in that river.  Is is possible to fish there?

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »

:-X :P :-[

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

Guess I will post one here since that is such a nice river...  No retention of chums, pinks or chinook at all.  One hatchery coho per day. between oct 1 and dec 31...

No retention of WILD trout either just in case you hook one.

Have fun!  ;)

Oh yeah, since there will now be 10 people fishing under that bridge till the end of the season, here is a link to help you identify your catch.  PS, hatchery fish are missing the little fin on their back between the dorsal and tail.

http://www.ecosystems.bc.ca/Clay%20Valley/CD-ROM%20project/Assets/salmon/salmon_id.htm
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:32:41 PM by Jonny 5 »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 02:43:25 PM »

Oh yeah, since there will now be 10 people fishing under that bridge till the end of the season, here is a link to help you identify your catch.  PS, hatchery fish are missing the little fin on their back between the dorsal and tail.

That's ten fewer people on the Vedder, Stave or Chehalis.  ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 04:15:10 PM »

KWB = Kingsway Bridge on the Coquitlam River.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »

you want to reconsider about harming the fish in that river after reading the following:

http://www.savecoquitlamriver.com/

...yummy.............

Its funny because some people do not have the slightest clue about what goes on in this river. Just absolutely sickening and disgusting what the gravel mines dump into that river every single day. Makes you wonder how they get away with it.

also is #5 on b.c.'s most endangered list
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:16:52 PM by Coho Cody »

yakideath12

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 05:18:22 PM »

is this post going to  affect the river?  ??? you dont have to send me the email to delete the post.   ;D

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:23:18 PM »

is this post going to  affect the river? 

Depends how you look at it..

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »

Well let's talk about more problems of the Coquitlam. We are lucky to even see chum in the river....any fish at all. Last year, BC hydro was working on the Buntzen/Coquitlam Line, releasing water for over a month straight on and off, with the river flowing over 2-3ft than normal. Now this was during the spawning of the chum. Hmmm, I wonder how many chum are going to return in 2011? Chances are none. Last year there were a select few chum in the river....a few in the river last year that spawned...and those few that spawned were screwed over because of the high water.

Another thing is the amount of fish released from the hatchery. There are 30,000 coho in the 2 tubs at the hatchery (15,000 in each). This is definately not a large amount of fish for a release expecting a huge run of fish back. Add up the survival rate of a release. Around 1% survival rate. Now add on the silt, mud, pollution, and garbage dumped into the river EVERY SINGLE DAY. The survival rate for the fish drops considerably lower.

Now, add on fishing pressure to this system. Oh, and add on all the snaggers and bonkers down at kingsway and what do you get? A fragile system than literally cannot sustain Shi* like that.

A few times every year, us at Riverside have river clean-ups. You would not believe the shi* we pick up from the river. I have already counted 4 shopping carts on the river bottom from kingsway and 200yrds down river.

Oh, one last thing. The steelhead program was shut down 5 years ago. Due to this, the hatchery is not expecting any steelhead back this year. We've tried to get the program back this year, but so far it looks like it's not going to happen anytime soon.

You choose

OGrady

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 08:16:36 PM »

This is the last thing that the coquitlam needs. Sad  :'(

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 09:39:44 PM »

I am all for helping the coquitlam build stocks but I think that we run a very uphill battle as all it takes is one gill net in there as I have heard of before and our efforts are all for none,

hmm very frustrating, such a great river system to lose.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 09:45:01 PM »

What is sad is that the Municipal government there just turns a blind eye to what is going on. You got to wonder how much money they gave to their campaigns during the last election.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

salmon river

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »

thanks for posting the coquitlam river saga. the more people that learn about whats going on in our rivers the better, but unfortunately there will be 10 people or more harassing the fish of this already fragile ecosystem(under the bridge) :(

Well maybe you and others should pressure the province to close fishing in that river, especially if it is as fragile as many say? As long as it is legally open people can fish it.

I think it should be closed until it is cleaned and fixed up but I do not think this government or any municipal government is going to do anything to help it.  The dam played a huge part in destroying this salmon river as dams have on so many other rivers from California to BC.

But we need water...so I dunno what can be done in a meaningful way to repair this eco system.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 12:56:14 AM »

The first thing to be done is fine the gravel pits dumping TONNES of silt into this creek.  Make them pay for damaging what belongs to everyone.

Anyhow, the fish would come back if that were fixed... apparently the Coquitlam used to be a trophy steelhead fishery.  I even saw a nice summer run come out of there about 15 to 20 years ago, and even saw one jump about 5 years ago. Remarkable considering how silty it gets at times. As well had lots of nice salmon not too long ago.  It is sad, but maybe the best thing to do is to let people come to appreciate it, and then maybe (but not likely) politicians would be able to get something done.

I am also surprised that anyone cares about this river given that it has very few fishing opportunities.  I am glad to see that I was wrong about that.