Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: c/o 1 poachers 0  (Read 10507 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: c/o 1 poachers 0
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 09:12:04 PM »

While fishing the Stave River on the afternoon of October 24th, a male person (I absolutely refuse to refer to him as a man, and especially as an angler) across from me was snagging chums.

By his methods and actions, I knew that he was snagging fish, and didn't realize the full extent of his actions at first, as I tend to put on my "blinders" and look away from the ugliness that salmon season brings to the banks of our rivers during this season. But after I had repositioned, and was facing in his general direction, I witnessed his "dirty deeds" in action!

He pulled the female salmon backwards onto the gravel banks, holding them with his boots as he pulled and shook the hooks from their back with a pair of pliers, picked them up and squeezed and shook the eggs from the female chum into a square bucket and then chucked the fish back into the river!

I pulled out my camera and began to shoot a sequence of photos showing his violations as I watched in disgust. I became so upset with his actions, that I could no longer bite my tongue! I reeled in my line and waded across to where he stood and told him that what he was doing was completely illegal and a disgusting abuse of these fish! His response to me was for me to "mind my own business, and that it was totally legal as he hadn't ever heard that it wasn't allowed" (there are laws that regulate the possession of roe).

I told him that I had recorded his actions with my camera and that I would be forwarding a full report and the photos to the conservation officers that regulate and enforce the angling laws for the river. He just laughed sarcastically, and said "good for you", and went back to his "snagging". I kept my cool and as I walked back to my vehicle, I called the DFO report line on my cel phone and told my story to an agent at the "report desk" and was told that they would send someone over right away to check-out the situation.

I received a phone call seconds later, from an officer that just happened to be on the Mission side of the Stave River. She told me that they were on the way over to check for any violations and to speak with the angler. After retelling my story to her, she said that the person would most likely receive a substantial fine (a few of hundred dollars) for possession of illegally obtained roe and for molestation of these fish.

They also asked if I would be prepared to appear in court and testify, and provide my photos for a court case if it came to that. I told them that "I wouldn't have it any other way, and would be more than happy to help send a strong message to this guy and his friends!"

She also said that they are stepping up enforcement, and are trying to take active measures to catch fine and arrest those who are breaking the laws and are obviously abusing the fish in our rivers.

I guess reporting violations that we see is having some positive results these days after all!

Regards,

The anonymous angler (coming to a river near you soon).

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 09:55:54 PM »

They have also been seen on the Allouette now  ;D . Herd of one fellow getting a $300 fine and his sage and calcutta taken till he paid the fine at their office. He got fined for molestation of fish. He was cutting the gills out of the dead fish. This was of course after he bonked a chum which by the way you can not retain on the Allouette.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 09:56:59 PM »

I would suggest calling in everything you see, to make sure the service know they need to hire more staff...

The only way they know is if you call.

:)
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 09:20:22 AM »

Are you kidding me?  He got his rod back after he paid the fine.  If I poach a deer or stab someone, do you think I get my gun or knife back after I do the time?  I say that who ever is in charge needs to grow some B@!!$.  Otherwise, we'll be complaining about snaggers forever. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 01:08:20 PM »

Here's a follow-up to my above posting. The information was sent to me by email and also posted on a couple other discussion forums. It should motivate all to make the necessary calls next time you witness a violation.

This morning, I spoke with the conservation officer (CO) that attended the incident, and “yes” they did catch him with “dirty hands”. I watched from the side-lines to make sure that he didn’t attempt to leave before they arrived (or if he did, to record his license plate). I was also concerned for the female CO’s safety and wanted to make certain that they didn’t require my “assistance” if he caused them any trouble.

Not only was he caught with the illegally obtained roe in his square bucket, but he had also killed a male chum and had it in his possession, without a salmon tag.
BUSTED!!!!

Here what he was ultimately charged with:
Angling and retaining salmon without a tag. On record and notice for molesting with intent to injure fish (roe stripping) and the roe and male chum were ceased. Along with a lecture on ethical angling and the laws that he was breaking, he also received a substantial fine (big dollars) for his crimes.

During my conversation with the CO, she told me that they have stepped-up their presence on many of the “popular” rivers, such as the Stave River, and are observing and recording violations from afar. They still walk the beats, but at times, observing from afar can be far more effective as the anglers that are committing the violations have absolutely no idea that they are being watched and recorded.

This along with the cel phones and digital cameras that many anglers carry these days, makes prosecuting the violators a much easier and more successful process! The CO’s in this case really deserve a “pat on their backs” as well!

So violators be warned: We will no longer tolerate your illegal and unethical actions and many of us are willing to step forward, record and report your actions…

See you on the river soon…

The Anonymous Angler

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 03:20:11 PM »

Hello Everyone,

Are we legally allowed to fish for salmon (legally, barbless single hooks) without a salmon tag if we plan to catch and release?

Thanks,

Joe

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »

that is awesome rod!

i always call in and dont say anything to the guy(s).most of them , if not all of them know that they are breaking the rules.i say throw them under the bus!!! >:(
girls suck throw rocks at them!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 05:37:23 PM »

They have also been seen on the Allouette now  ;D . Herd of one fellow getting a $300 fine and his sage and calcutta taken till he paid the fine at their office. He got fined for molestation of fish. He was cutting the gills out of the dead fish. This was of course after he bonked a chum which by the way you can not retain on the Allouette.

I called that in a week ago, along with the wild coho i found in the bushes still half alive (hook mark in the mouth).

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 06:55:04 PM »

I can't say for sure if you are allowed to fish (C&R) in BC for salmon w/o a salmon card.  Personally, I don't think it's that ethical however.  Even though you don't plan to kill a fish, you are still using a resource you are not paying for.  Everyone else is paying for "salmon enhancement".  Also, many of these C&R fish end up dead soon after they are released, no matter how well they were handled.  Many fish look fine when they swim off, however the stress incurred is too much for many fish and they end up TU.  Also, if you happen to accidentally kill a fish before you can release it, and a C/O is watching, you are covered by a salmon card. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 07:56:21 PM »

I can't say for sure if you are allowed to fish (C&R) in BC for salmon w/o a salmon card. 

You don't need a tag if you don't plan on retaining the salmon.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 08:41:57 PM »

Yup they have stepped up. Saw a co watching with binoculars at the stave today.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 08:47:23 PM »

Yup they have stepped up. Saw a co watching with binoculars at the stave today.
Nice.  Great to hear it. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 09:32:41 PM »

Yeah, right on - If licence fees went up to guarantee increased enforcement on our rivers, I would gladly pay it. 

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 10:44:22 PM »

hey joe if you are going to use the resource why not buck up the 16 bucks for a tag???not an unreasonable price i'd say.
always a student

salmon river

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 12:30:21 AM »

Re: c/o 1 poachers 0 is quite mis leading, the reality is poachers have a lot more than '0'......But it is nice to win the very very odd one.

I wish they would come to Como lake and ticket all the adults fishing there, I can fish it because I am disabled (Sawmill accident)  but I never see a fishery officer there....... ??? Yet I get people telling me it is under 16 over 65 and I reply "If you read the regs you would not say that to me'.  ;)

I fish there because it has easy access for me, I love fishing and it gets me out of the house and I apologize if I dragged this off topic a bit but I have always bought a license, now it is only a buck but I have always followed the rules my whole life and have reported things many times over the last 40 years and never heard back on anything and it just really annoys me so many people cant follow the regs or even read them.

I have seen morons using bar rigs with two hooks at lafarge but fisheries does not seem to interested.

We need to hire a lot more federal and provincial fishery officers.

Well that is my 2 cents for tonight.  ;)

ps. I have to learn how to use the spell check ha ha
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 12:44:15 AM by salmon river »