Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinner Making 101  (Read 10548 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Spinner Making 101
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 11:18:48 PM »

sweet choice in tacklemakers.  I love mine.  I think the pen tac size 3 should fit.  You could always call them and ask.  They've always been more than helpful to me.  You might think about going with the size 3 blade, I use 4's and 4.5's for coho, chum and springs, 3's when they're spooky.  As far as the body combo thing goes, I'd keep it simple and either use a pen tac body or use a painted bullet weight with a colored bead at the bottom.  There used to be an outfit out there called mortac, but their website is down.  They basically had the same stuff as pen tac, but with slight variations. 

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 11:32:18 AM »

Nuggy, you bought the Tacklemaster ? Right on, I was thinking of getting one for myself as well. Where did you purchase it from if you don't mind me asking?

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 12:08:14 PM »

Hey Nuggy, thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I looked at the Tacklemaster two weeks ago and thought it looked pretty cool. I told the guys at Army and Navy about it and they are going to see if they can carry it as well. I've looked at Pen Tac as well and I agree their stuff looks good. I like the satisfaction of making my own lures and catching something with them, not to mention that it does make the hit on the wallet a little easier to manage.;D

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 12:12:36 PM »

I do attach the swivel directly to the spinner.  It is a small black barrel swivel rated at either 30 or 40 lb strength.  I have never broken these and being that they're low profile, they don't seem to hinder the spinner in any way.  

I also attach a split ring on the spinner.  This does 2 things for me.  1) makes it easy to change hooks if you bend or break one, 2) reduces the chances that a fish can use the spinner to leverage the hook out of it's mouth.  

You are right about the pen tac components being better.  I will never buy a nickle blade again after seeing how much better real silver shines in the water.  I also did quite well on coho this year using the all copper body and blade spinner.  

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »

I too like attaching a swivel to my spinners.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 07:44:37 PM »

If you're using open ringed Siwash hooks then no need for a split ring.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 09:28:54 PM »

As a general rule, tape is placed on the concave side. For a change of pace, try some on the convex side.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 07:10:11 AM »

I could see that by adding a layer of epoxy to a blade, you could dampen its effects in the water by changing its weight and hydrodynamics.  I have cuaght fish on brand new shiny blades right down to old tarnished ones so I have really never worried about the finish/tarnishing etc.  Just gives me a bigger variety of blades to throw as the conditions change.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 04:32:50 PM »

I'll be interested in knowing how the RVR products perform.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 04:40:13 PM »

looking forward to seeing the new spinners you make.

EZ

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 11:08:58 PM »

Cool Nuggy. Post some pics when you've got a few done.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 06:53:59 PM »

Pen Tac is expensive and their handling charges don't help any. ::)

Too bad rvrfshr has such poor photos would like to see more of what they offer.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 08:12:54 PM »

I place tape on inside of blade.  The book I mentioned before said it reflects better that way.  I would be interested in the rvrfhsr products also, but there is no info on their site.  If you're going to take the time and spend the money, I would want to make sure I'm buying genuine silver, copper or gold blades in a .031 thick. 

When it all comes down to it, if you buy Pen-Tac, or other quality components in enough bulk, you only pay about 1.20 US a spinner.  You can then sell some to off set your costs. 

norm_2

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »

Nuggy, to keep my brass ones shiny, I dip them in a solution of 50% laquer and 50% laquer thinner.  It works really well.  I have some from a couple years ago and they are shiny.  I dipped the blade before assembling and just hung them to dry.  I bought my laquer from Lee Valley Tools and the thinner from Canadian Tire.  If you want, I can trade you some laquer for a few spinners.

Nuggy

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2006, 09:13:56 PM »

Nuggy, to keep my brass ones shiny, I dip them in a solution of 50% laquer and 50% laquer thinner.  It works really well.  I have some from a couple years ago and they are shiny.  I dipped the blade before assembling and just hung them to dry.  I bought my laquer from Lee Valley Tools and the thinner from Canadian Tire.  If you want, I can trade you some laquer for a few spinners.

Hi Norm, I`m still not sure what I am going to do yet in regards to a finished coating. It seems if fishing for winter steelhead these spinners are gonna get bruised up regardless of any finished coating on them. Just curious as to how often you used your coated blades and were you banging alot of rocks and debris with them?

Norm, I`ll let you know how my progress goes when I get all the materials as I will probably try coating a few with different products  just so I know how they work in certain conditions.

I`m getting stoked now as my new spinning rod and reel have arrived :D and I`m ready to join the crazy people who fish in winter for steelies.

On another note, here`s a link for a forum discussion on spinner steelhead tactics.  http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1144692148/0

Cheers

Nuggy