Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinner Making 101  (Read 10549 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Spinner Making 101
« on: November 11, 2006, 06:10:01 PM »

Feel free to add what you know about making in line Spinners to this thread.
I'll start with an old catalogue illustration.
Even if it's a bit tough to read you can see the steps.
I just use a single hook.

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: Spinner Making 101
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 08:17:03 PM »

Cool.  And thanks!
President Club S. C. & P.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:30:46 AM »

Great... now ANOTHER thing I git ta ditch work around the house for!  Won't THAT make my wife happy! LOL  Finally convinced her to start coming fishing next year in the warm weather - maybe I should get her to start making lures now! LOL
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 05:33:34 PM »

This is a very basic diagram.  It forgets to mention things critical to making a spinner like: using a bearing, hydronamics of the body, weighting, blade size and thickness, using a split ring for the hook attachment, etc.  If you want to get serious about making spinners, I'd start by reading the book (Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout by Jed Davis).

As I've said before in previous posts, making spinners is a great hobby and when you get good at it, you'll outfish any store bought spinner 5-1.  I supply all my friends with spinners and get many orders year after year.   

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 04:15:10 PM »

This is a very basic diagram.  It forgets to mention things critical to making a spinner like: using a bearing, hydronamics of the body, weighting, blade size and thickness, using a split ring for the hook attachment, etc.  If you want to get serious about making spinners, I'd start by reading the book (Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout by Jed Davis).
If you knew much about Jed Davis you'd know that the illustration as linked is from the Pen Tac catalogue back when he owned the company-he designed the thing!
Spinner making is easy and like anything there are always people who want to make it as complicated as possible.

fisherforever-great link Thanks!
The only thing I do differently since I only use single Siwash hooks is to never bother with split rings.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 07:56:46 PM »

I never said spinner making was complicated.  It is basic and if you want to make a spinner right, look at other diagrams and read books like the one I mentioned.  Jed Davis does not own Pen Tac any more, the diagram may be linked to Jed a long time ago, but it is not in the book I mentioned and not on the Pen Tac website. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:48:05 PM »

If you order the book, look on Ebay or Amazon.  I have found great condition used ones very cheap there.  Also, look at tacklemaker.com   They make a great tacklemaker for a decent price. 

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 11:44:52 AM »

That tacklemaker tool looks very cool. Be sure to check out the video section they have.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 02:29:39 PM »

Nuggy,

Glad you liked the videos. Good link to the French Blades, I am still waiting for my 100 Colorados and 50 Crocs from ebay then I can get started.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 03:30:03 PM »

I typically use .031 wire size.  I'll use it for trout, bass, and salmon spinners.  If you want to make a salmon trolling spinner, or spinner bait, you might want to step up to the next size wire.  As far as the tacklemaker goes, I rarely if ever change out the part for the different gauge wire.  I have had it for 4 years now and it still works like a charm. 

I buy a lot of my stuff from the stamina web site you mentioned.  I also make a spinner with a diamond blade I buy at http://www.fishermans-corner.com   

When I don't use the pen tac bodies, I buy lead bullet weights at any old store and paint them with powder paint.  (hint, buy an old toaster oven from a yard sale to bake the bodies)

It can seem a little over-welming at first, but don't worry, it's not that complicated.  Whenever I need ideas, I go to websites like fishermans corner for ideas.  When you get going, it's a blast.  I love catching fish with my own designs.  Also, you'll never have to or want to buy another spinner again.  These spinners really do work better than store bought ones.  They don't need any start-up speed to get the blade going and fish really do react better to these than store bought blue foxe's or rooster tails etc. 

Have fun!

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 04:24:18 PM »

Bentrod,

Good call on the toaster oven idea. I  guess you can do about 8 - 10 at a time?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 04:38:50 PM »

The biggest benefit to using the cheap yard sale oven, is it keeps you out of hot water with the wife. 

I take some wire and make hooks so I can hang the bodies from the top heating element guard.  I can usually get 10-12 in at a time.  You don't want to put too many in because it takes a while to take each one out, dip them in the paint then hang them.  Once you have coated each one, you can get a harder finish if you bake them for 15-20 minutes. 

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 04:41:32 PM »

Good advice, I'll take it. Grilled cheese sandwiches and ... Hey, what's all this paint in here? ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 09:14:20 PM »

^^^Bump^^^

1. When using a Pen Tac size 2 French blade what size/weight  Pen Tac body do you use for normal conditions?

Use the corresponding number body with corresponding blade. ie. #2 body with #2 blade.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 11:07:08 PM »

You're right Nuggy. Pen Tacs comes in size 3, 4, 4 1/2 and 5's