Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Yellowknife area - next week. Suggestions?  (Read 7948 times)

Pat AV

Re: Fishing Yellowknife area - next week. Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 11:48:01 AM »

"You might fall in love with the place"

Good call, I spent 8 months in the Yukon and the time there haunts me: the solitude, the fishing, the wildlife and even the sourdoughs (local Yukoners) were all unforgetable! After being in the Yukon I went to Terrace for a month of being a fish bum.

Those 2 areas that I just mentioned still haunt me to this day, and I feel that every day I live in the lowermainland now is a waste. Don't go up there Dragon!

I am looking for the first chance I have to move up north 2 problems 1) Convincing the Girl and 2) Finding a decent job. IT WILL HAPPEN!!!

Sorry for the off topic rant!

Some north country fishing tips for you dragonspeed from a fly chuckers point of view:

1) Pike love big dry Flys: Row or walk around the perimeter of any good pike lake and cast big (1/0+) dry mouse or frog patterns at the heavy structure. The best areas are where heavy structure meets deep water. Just cast the big dry's tight to the structure and twitch em back in. The takes are explosive and I would reccommend wire tippet as well

2) Grayling are the finest dry fly fish you would want to target find yourself a good grayling creek and walk a KM from the bridge and you should find unreal fishing. I did the best on size 12 elk hair caddis but any good small dry will work.

3) Lakers will be staging for their fall spawning period they might make an unusual apperance in the shallows where they can be targeted with streamers on sinking lines

These things all worked in the Yukon for me and I hope they help you with your NWT quest!

Good luck

Pat
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 11:34:56 PM »

And the results of my one day fishing expedition:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11994.0

Thanks for the ALL the tips guys!  It's easier to fish with confidence when you have an idea that you MIGHT be using the right thing ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 02:42:40 PM »

Hi DS any photos you can share? (Scenery)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 03:49:48 PM »

Hi DS any photos you can share? (Scenery)

I took about 200 or so.  I have to find a few spare minutes to see what I can filter.