Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: slinky weights  (Read 2437 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
slinky weights
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »

has anyone used slinky weights before and is there an advantage to using them.

thanks scruffy

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: slinky weights
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 01:04:43 PM »

The advantage is that it's supposed to cut down on the amount of snags. I've used them but I still prefer pencil lead.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:17:38 PM »

excellent sinkers for bottom bouncing (not flossing) on rivers with larger rocks. The shoelace outside helps it glide over the bottom and being made from multiple lead balls it will "slink" over the rocks instead of stick to them like lead does. The negative part of this is it will not seem as sensitive to the less experienced bottom bouncer. Works well on rivers like the Thompson and Skeena.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 01:49:16 PM »

excellent sinkers for bottom bouncing (not flossing) on rivers with larger rocks. The shoelace outside helps it glide over the bottom and being made from multiple lead balls it will "slink" over the rocks instead of stick to them like lead does. The negative part of this is it will not seem as sensitive to the less experienced bottom bouncer. Works well on rivers like the Thompson and Skeena.

Excellent post Rin...
I in my limited experience with gear I have and tried the slinkys...ideal for drift fishing (no float)..I used it with my gear a couple times and you lose about 80% of your feel with lead...Also, if your fishing small holding water etc. lead will get you down faster...

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 02:31:22 PM »

i dont understand how can it be less sensitive

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:46:24 PM »

the "shoe lace" covering the lead balls inside dampen the feel. When using straight pencil lead you will have the lead stick to the bottom somewhat and this will trasfer up your line with a more solid "tick". Just does not happen with slinky's

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »

ah i see now thanks :)

DanTfisherman

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »

Not sure if it makes a difference, but a darkish green looking "stick" coming down the river can be a bit less intimidationg than a flashy piece of lead which may spook the fish.

I use size 000 buck by Hornaby to make mine, so I have found they are usually shorter than an equally long, stiff piece of lead.