Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: casting pins  (Read 1846 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
casting pins
« on: December 01, 2006, 10:15:40 PM »

as being new to the pin i was wondering what type of cast does everyone tend to use,right now I'm using a side swing cast it's what found to work when i was playing in the park with it ,by allowing my weight to drop a little first and then i cast out it seem's to be working fine as i can get all-rite distance but trying to hit the target well ::) i figure with some practice i could fine tune that.I'm not getting any bird's nest now not like the beginning   :P so that seem's to be okay i've seen some videos of casting techniques and they are Wallis,side,spinning side,casts does anyone use any of these casting methods, and the side cast that i do is not even the same as the one in the video,i tried all three casting meathod's and all i can say is i was chopping more than casting i found them to be pretty hard to do,are there any more ways to cast that are easier .

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: casting pins
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 10:21:37 PM »

The new methods will always be extremly challenging!  Be patient and its just a matter of time!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Ribwart

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 10:39:40 PM »

Scruffy...I think it would be good to take into account what rod you are using. Length, rating...and what reel you are using, how well worn in it is, etc...this will give a better idea how the rod is performing.
As it gets worn in over time one of the most valuable casts you will use is that variation of the flip cast that Fishfreak mentions...works really well under almost all conditions. You can use your fishing rod as a sling shot and need virtually no room behind you to cast 30-40 feet, sometimes more...the control you can get with this cast is very useful. accuracy and distance can be picked up easily with a little practice...
The key to casting a pin is controlling the spool. If you can stop it spinning on a dime with the tips of your fingers, then you won't be afraid to really getter hummin' ....you can get that spool rippin' with a big "swing", or you can generate that power by grabbing the hook and creating some torque with the rod...
But like I said what are you using? Fishing rod, reel type,  right or left hand...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 10:41:27 PM by Ribwart »

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 11:14:41 PM »

i have two pins an Avon and a kingfisher the rod I'm using is a Loomis GL2 rated at 8-12lbs light,med pwr and for action it's med and it's 10'6".I run 12lbs mono Ande and 8-10lbs leaders

Ribwart

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 11:25:01 PM »

You mentioned the weight dropping a bit first...this is good....it is a good way of describing how you cast with the swing, but the reason it works is you are getting a "feel" for the weight. In the same way you can generate torque with rod flex and holding the hook, the weight acts like your fingers to create torque...if you can feel the weight swinging, then you can create an arc with the rod that will sling that terminal gear out there much like the flip cast mentioned before. As you get more proficient with it you can tighten up the arc the rod takes and still generate lots of distance. Tight quarter casts will be full casts but the arc of the rod will only travel within a confined space. You will find that concentrating on using the rod flex, and control of the spin of the reel will be the quickest way to learning to cast well with a pin.
It would be easier to show you, than to try and type it out for you...
rib

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 12:16:37 PM »

thanks for the input you guys much appreciated  :)