Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012/13 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 129201 times)

mvelasco

out for around 5 hours this morning at the mid. No luck for me, one person said he got into two wild at first light. Upper had great visibility, about 1.5-2 feet visibility in the mid-lower section. Water has dropped since my last time out last week, but not significantly.
Still zero for the season, one of these days will be my lucky break!!

-Andrew
With you there man, putting up goose eggs right now. The spot I fished had the branch structure hauled out. Vis is exactly where I want it to be.just a matter of hunting

jpar247

Im will both of you guys. First year fishing for these slabs. Thinking about putting the Pin away and loading up the good old spey and give her a try...

HOOK

• Old Timer

at least with the spey rod you will be having more fun throwing up those goose eggs LoL  ;)

so far two on briefly on the starvation stick, maybe saturday will be my day or sometime next week while i work evenings for the week

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Drewhill

Upper was low and slow today with a surprising amount of people out. Water was very clear. After no action, for me or anyone, went mid river and still nothing and heard of nothing. Finally went lower and saw a wild one landed and one lost but again lots of people around.

liketofish

• Old Timer

Thanks for the report. Is the lower river super clear too? What is with these people? No fish and yet so many show up. I guess no body cares about the gas $$$ in the name of fishing.  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Thanks for the report. Is the lower river super clear too? What is with these people? No fish and yet so many show up. I guess no body cares about the gas $$$ in the name of fishing.  ;D
Yes and I drew another blank, only heard of one fish, maybe time to cut the lawn instead as fishing seems as slow as watching grass grow. :o

jpar247

at least with the spey rod you will be having more fun throwing up those goose eggs LoL  ;)

This is true! What areas would you guys recommend best for tossing the Spey? I've always thought above the rapids looks decent...

Carich980

This is true! What areas would you guys recommend best for tossing the Spey? I've always thought above the rapids looks decent...

Definatley the Train bridge.

HOOK

• Old Timer

train bridge run is overrated. I could list almost every run along the river that will fish ok, decent, good to great with a spey rod. Some runs are a little more technically difficult on how to mend and what not, where as some are just toss, mend and let it fish. I fish everything with spey rod in hand if there is room to flip out my fly and of course if there isnt a horde of people jamming up the place. You may even see me out there at times fishing my fly like its under a float by using just tossing the sink tip and high sticking it through a piece of water LoL  ;)

the tug is the drug !!!

after the tug its basically like fighting a fish on a gear rod that is once you get the fish under control and providing you have allowed the fish to turn with the fly before trying to set the hook. setting the hook early alot of the time results in a missed fish, im horrible at waiting !!!

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

oscar

A long walk with no luck on the upper yesterday.Sat down and watched a novice feather-flicker hook his first steelhead on the fly.Was a short battle, but he was pretty stoked to just get into one.Sometimes witnessing hookups is ALMOST as cool as hooking into one yourself.Time for a rain-dance, levels are crazy low.Only two brief hookups seen were the fly-guys.

Funeral Of Hearts

Im hoping to be one of those guys on the fly experiencing a first time hook up tomorrow... first time for everything I guess.

Carich980

train bridge run is overrated. I could list almost every run along the river that will fish ok, decent, good to great with a spey rod. Some runs are a little more technically difficult on how to mend and what not, where as some are just toss, mend and let it fish. I fish everything with spey rod in hand if there is room to flip out my fly and of course if there isnt a horde of people jamming up the place. You may even see me out there at times fishing my fly like its under a float by using just tossing the sink tip and high sticking it through a piece of water LoL  ;)

the tug is the drug !!!

after the tug its basically like fighting a fish on a gear rod that is once you get the fish under control and providing you have allowed the fish to turn with the fly before trying to set the hook. setting the hook early alot of the time results in a missed fish, im horrible at waiting !!!

I used to think that way but thankfully I went to rehab & now I know..

The pin is the win !!!

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing

noticed the water around lickman started to get milky looking around 1-2pm maybe a slide from claybank?
Please honey can i go fishing now???

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

water did get silty around 11ish, but cleared up around 3:30...fishing was relatively slow.

mikeyman

lots of water to fish to find those biters this year. Not bad today, 2 wilds, 2 dollies, one resident, and a miss. Not as easy to get fish compared to the past 3-4 years.