Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What setup would allow me to straighten snagged hooks?  (Read 4761 times)

dandybike

What setup would allow me to straighten snagged hooks?
« on: September 13, 2014, 02:15:46 PM »

Hi!

As a newbie spinner cheapskate I’m afraid of losing too many Blue Fox gear on the stony bottoms hunting coho and—later in the season—steelhead. I'm committed to learning the technique, though, so the losses will be unavoidable; hence the question.

I read in numerous places that it’s possible to arrange a setup (involving main line, leaders or lack thereof, swivels, and etc.) that allows to straighten the hook when a snag occurs and lose only it, instead of the whole $5 sparkling goodness.

So my question is: what spinner setup would do that job and what would be the tradeoffs?

P.S. I'm aware that building spinners at home should lower the cost but first I'd love to hear your opinions on possible anti-snag setups.

Thanks!

A Frayed Knot

Re: What setup would allow me to straighten snagged hooks?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 03:02:40 PM »

I would imagine making sure you had a bead on the line would help depending on the weight of the lures making sure they are barbless ofc.
Another would be just making sure your leader isn't to long so it doesn't hit bottom. You might also try circle hooks, they are just as effective for fishing as J hooks but less damaging to the fish and great for avoiding questionable fishing spots with a lot of dead fall or large rocks.

Other then that I have no idea, I rarely use lures any more.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »

The mainline on my spin caster is 20lb green power pro. I tie the sinner to the mainline with no leader, I straighten hooks on snags all the time. Also the power pro cast further then mono.  Coho are not leader shy, I fish in crystal clear water and sometimes see the coho accelerate from 20' away and smash my spinner.
Oh yes, I think I will hunt coho in the morning.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »

go buy yourself some braided line of heavy strength but thin diameter

two I really like are

Berkeley Nano braid
Sufix Elite 832 braid

just bought some Sufix Elite 20lb with a thickness of 8lb mono in the white colour but I think its more like 6lb mono thickness by feel. The 30lb also says 8lb thickness but I figured 20lb was plenty for the uses my spinning rod gets used for.

Fish get stuck on looking at the lure so much they don't even notice the line in most situations. Only time it may matter is fishing in ultra clear water over stale fish. Mono will also never beat the sensitivity or hook setting capabilities of braid
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

dandybike

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »

A Frayed Knot, canso, HOOK, thank you all for input! I will definitely try the "braided line + spinner" option.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »

The mainline on my spin caster is 20lb green power pro. I tie the sinner to the mainline with no leader,

Just wondering who are these "sinners" that you're tying to the mainline ? Flossers ? ;D

dandybike

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »

Just wondering who are these "sinners" that you're tying to the mainline ? Flossers ? ;D

Spot on. I'd guess he means the devout followers of St. Fraser.

Trophy Tackle

• Trophy Tackle
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 11:08:30 PM »

That's the right attitude!  In a river setting, if you're not occasionally losing gear, you're not getting down to the fish. 

As already mentioned, I'd recommend using 20-30lb braid as your mainline.  Ideal for breaking strength, sensitivity and casting.  I do however suggest running a 15-20lb leader.  I'd also downsize the stock hooks on a Vibrax to something smaller but particularly a thinner gauge. 

Before you attempt to straighten out the hook or break off, make a good effort to free the snagged lure.  Jiggle it, wiggle it, let out some line to try to get the river current to pull the lure the opposite direction....and...the number #1 lure saver ever...the slingshot.  Tighten up the slack line.  Using your hand, pull back on the line just above your reel like you would do with a slingshot or bow.  Pull back enough to put a bend in your rod.  Release.  If it doesn't work the first attempt, try a few more from various different angles. 

Hi!

As a newbie spinner cheapskate I’m afraid of losing too many Blue Fox gear on the stony bottoms hunting coho and—later in the season—steelhead. I'm committed to learning the technique, though, so the losses will be unavoidable; hence the question.

I read in numerous places that it’s possible to arrange a setup (involving main line, leaders or lack thereof, swivels, and etc.) that allows to straighten the hook when a snag occurs and lose only it, instead of the whole $5 sparkling goodness.

So my question is: what spinner setup would do that job and what would be the tradeoffs?

P.S. I'm aware that building spinners at home should lower the cost but first I'd love to hear your opinions on possible anti-snag setups.

Thanks!

sugartooth

dandybike

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 08:41:31 AM »

Thanks, Trophy Tackle and sugartooth!

Two more techniques added to the arsenal: the "slingshot" and sending weight down the line. Love their simplicity!

As tutorials go, by the way, this is the one from Bent Rods that got me interested in learning how to unsnag with fewer losses (the link will skip to the relevant part that starts at 5' 35"): http://youtu.be/GDAeud_LX9Q?t=5m35s.

Cheers!

wonder

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »

Could use the technique 'everyday' uses with a trailer hook tied on with line, if u used line lighter than your main ideally it would snap before the main and you would just have to tie a new hook to the lure.