Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heading down to fish Fraser, Vetter, Harrison HELP!  (Read 6149 times)

NOFF

Heading down to fish Fraser, Vetter, Harrison HELP!
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »

1. Hello. My name is John I'm 19 years old new to River Fishing (From Kelowna) Going the weekend of 19th-24th of Sept and I'm heading down to "Bar Fish Fraser" and Bottom Bounce the Vetter and by Hope? at least thats what I was told you can mostly do on those rivers is that true?

2. I'm looking for suggestions on what type of fishing I should do and would love to find some quiet spots (I'm not asking for hunny holes) just asking for spots that don't have 20 people all 10 feet away. I was told STAY away from the Hope Scales as it's way to crowded and not worth it being new.

3. My 3rd question is, (I have the proper gear for spring) BUT is it the wrong season to use a spin caster with 8 lb line if you try and go for Coho or is it totally the wrong seasons?

thanks for helping out a young teen getting into a new fishery!

Shawn6o4

Re: Heading down to fish Fraser, Vetter, Harrison HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:52:08 AM »

Good luck.

Humpy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »

Keep the bottom bouncing for socks only and in the fraser only, don't do that in any other river you mentioned.
1. Bottom bounce or Bar fish Fraser and float fish vedder and Harrison.
2. Drive along Hwy 1 or 7 and look for cars. Less cars usually mean less people.
3. For the vedder it is fine, wouldn't recommend that for the fraser.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »

well NOFF. Its always good to hear new fisherman ask questions. after all thats how i started 20 years ago fresh from high school.

1. if you want to bar fish the fraser better do it after the bait ban around start of october. You can still bottom bounce on the fraser but its still better around hope......in a couple of weeks the crowds will lessen out. I see people doing it on the vedder but i dont recommend it because the salmon actually bite lures and bait.

2. if you are looking to get outfitted with the proper gear go to freds custom tackle in chilliwack and get yourself a baitcasting rod spooled with braided line...some weight and floats and some cured roe. float fishing for salmon is so effective on the vedder and they will gear you out and show you a map of popular locations

3. this may cost you a bit of money but at least you will be properly geared out and usually one time expense anyway. my baitcaster rod is 12 years old and reel is 7 years old. properly maintained and oiled they should last a long time.

the vedder is your best bet around this time of year but other systems get fish later on. btw if you have waders use them. You can use your gear for spring salmon and you can use your spincaster for with 8lb line for trout but not recommended for salmon. spool up to 12lb at least. This is what i do and been very successful at it. good luck.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:10:49 PM »

1. Hello. My name is John I'm 19 years old new to River Fishing (From Kelowna) Going the weekend of 19th-24th of Sept and I'm heading down to "Bar Fish Fraser" and Bottom Bounce the Vetter and by Hope? at least thats what I was told you can mostly do on those rivers is that true?

2. I'm looking for suggestions on what type of fishing I should do and would love to find some quiet spots (I'm not asking for hunny holes) just asking for spots that don't have 20 people all 10 feet away. I was told STAY away from the Hope Scales as it's way to crowded and not worth it being new.

3. My 3rd question is, (I have the proper gear for spring) BUT is it the wrong season to use a spin caster with 8 lb line if you try and go for Coho or is it totally the wrong seasons?

thanks for helping out a young teen getting into a new fishery!

Don't bottom bounce the "Vedder", it's a smaller river and that form of fishing isn't widely appreciated on the river. Float fishing, spinning with lures, or fly fishing are your best bets.

I think you may have the Fraser and Vedder rivers mixed up.

NOFF

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »

Yes I did, thank you! Thats why Im asking so pre plan and make sure everything goes as smooth as it can!

With bait ban on, is that on the Vetter aswell? And if it was what would you use float fishing?

Thanks

Humpy

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »

No bait ban on the vedder, use roe, wool, spinners, jigs, spoons. Colorado blades are great for coho.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Tenz85

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »

19 years old? So you have a lifetime of fishing ahead of you. Dont be surprised if you get skunked but won't matter as long as you enjoyed being outdoors. Tons of info on this website. Local tackle shops are great in person resources. Chat up anyone on the river. For the most part, we are all out there to have fun. Good luck and enjoyed your trip.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 05:29:47 PM »

Your time frame is perfect to just keep yourself fishing the Vedder for coho, springs and chum. Check out the links that Rodney has provided you, they are crammed full of excellent information.

I'll probably be on the river at that time. Send me an email (its on my profile) and we can work out a meeting or at the least I can direct you to a few spots or sections of river worth checking out

I also believe friends of mine from Kelowna will also be down here that same weekend. Hoping to gets buddies wife into a spring this time  :D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

NOFF

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 09:58:10 AM »

Your time frame is perfect to just keep yourself fishing the Vedder for coho, springs and chum. Check out the links that Rodney has provided you, they are crammed full of excellent information.

I'll probably be on the river at that time. Send me an email (its on my profile) and we can work out a meeting or at the least I can direct you to a few spots or sections of river worth checking out

I also believe friends of mine from Kelowna will also be down here that same weekend. Hoping to gets buddies wife into a spring this time  :D

Email sent

NOFF

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »

My friends are all stuck on fishing the Fraser (Hope area) next weekend, and not so much float fishing the Vetter..

Would I still get away with my little 10ft 8-17lb Shimano Convergence on the Fraser BBing or should I be using my 10.6 big heavy duty salmon rod..

I know if I end up Bar Fishing I'll use my bigger rod, but not sure about BBing

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 02:58:52 PM »

Convergence should be fine for bottom bouncing.

Pin-nook

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »

float fishing the Vetter..

Vetter?? ???