Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canoe in the fraser  (Read 7566 times)

BananasQ

Re: Canoe in the fraser
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »

Hi, I'm in a similar situation - want to get out for salmon, have a 17.5 Kevlar clipper tripper. I was wondering, does going for Coho at Ambleside sound realistic?

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 10:05:17 AM »

Hi, I'm in a similar situation - want to get out for salmon, have a 17.5 Kevlar clipper tripper. I was wondering, does going for Coho at Ambleside sound realistic?

I take a canoe out there a few times a year.  That being said, I never go alone - when you're messing with gear, hard to watch the large waves and boat traffic, not to mention paddle to them.  Also, watch out for the rip - it can get pretty aggressive in places.  Make sure you have all your safety gear (both for practical and legality check reasons).  And this is NOT the place to use your PFD as a seat cushion!  Check the wind reports too, when it blows it tends to take a light canoe for a ride!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »

Have boated on the Fraser from Port Mann to Sandheads  in car toppers / 9 hp , 13 ft runabout with 35 hp & two 16 fters with a 40,60 & 70hp outboards. Also many trips from McDonald Beach by airport to Georgia Straight via N Arm.
Never tried with a canoe.
95% or higher % our time on the Fraser was pleasant & had no problems.

But when you spend literally in the 1000s of hrs on this waterway there will be times you will have some hair raising times !!!
At times some strong current at at the Pitt R / Fraser R area.

N Fraser has some places where we seen dangerous deadheads just submerged under the surface. At times lots of floating debris. Plus the only place we had water come over the windshield of our Arima make of boat was on the North Arm. Some big tug full throttle going up river. ( no tow )
It created some major wake waves!
For the 9 years or so that I did floor waxing at literally 100s of locations one was called "North Fraser Harbour Commission" The building was under the Arthur Lang bridge & where the North & Middle Arms meet.
Many times I'd go outside the building & just mere feet away was the river.
In winter & the dead of night & seeing the racing current going out to sea one got the idea just how much ya have to respect this river.

The main Fraser R has scared us a few times.
Coming down river from New Westminster to Richmond in our 13 ft runabout was so enjoyable.
We were doing aprox 15 KMs per hr with good water conditions. Then we seen 2 of the biggest tugs I've ever seen on the river ( ocean going tugs ) They were going up river & full throttle & they had nothing on tow.
The operators spotted us I assume as the tugs throttled down but a little too late.
Must of been  6ft wake waves & about 20 of "the suckers".
Water came over the windshield on each wave!!!!
We were soaked.
Rocked our boat pretty good.

Plus we have hit some of the craziest water conditions on the south & middle of the Fraser near Steveston Village. Water that pushed the boat at the stern plus another time got into very very tall standing waves.

Plus other crazy water at Sandheads.
So the idea I'm pointing out is that though this river(s) can be very peaceful to boat in there are " times " it can be scary!!!
So just be careful & aware & if in a canoe or smaller boat use your PFD as scouterjames said.
2x on that point.

BananasQ

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 07:45:55 AM »

I take a canoe out there a few times a year.  That being said, I never go alone - when you're messing with gear, hard to watch the large waves and boat traffic, not to mention paddle to them.  Also, watch out for the rip - it can get pretty aggressive in places.  Make sure you have all your safety gear (both for practical and legality check reasons).  And this is NOT the place to use your PFD as a seat cushion!  Check the wind reports too, when it blows it tends to take a light canoe for a ride!

Thanks! I've got an able seahand lined up and have all the necessary gear.  Looking to get out weekend of the 13th and will try some mooching and jigging and see what happens. Wish me luck!

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »

The other thing to be prepared is to have electronics (ie phone, camera) waterproofed and tied to you or the boat.  Also, never leave your tackle box open - keep it closed and locked (Personally I tether it to my canoe as well, in case of a spill).  Basically plan ON tipping over; what do you want to salvage vs. what do you want to replace LOL - scrambling while you're swimming for floating or sinking gear is not a safe bet.

Good luck, be safe and have fun!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.