Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canoe in the fraser  (Read 7565 times)

bmynbr

Canoe in the fraser
« on: August 13, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »

Hey guys, anyone ever fish from a canoe in the fraser. Was thinking of going out at derby or glen valley. I noticed that all the fish I could see rolling were out of casting distance. I would only go out during incoming tide and into slack. Was thinking about anchoring, but not sure how safe it would be. Anyone ever try?

TheFishingLad

Re: Canoe in the fraser
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:35:34 PM »

I would only use the canoe to travel across the river to a different location. Even then I have a slight disregard for my health and safety.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:06:26 PM »

Given all the boat traffic - I would never advise anchoring a canoe in the Fraser during salmon season.

Having said that, I have seen canoes go past Laidlaw and down PegLeg during sockeye openings but never have I seen one anchored.

bmynbr

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:19:24 PM »

Thanks guys, I think I am going to try it one of these days. Not gonna anchor, and probably wouldn't need to anyways. Not really any current during incoming tide anyways
Thanks again
Dave

brownmancheng

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:32:28 PM »

Canoe tipped few weeks ago. Everyone had to be rescued.

Lyall

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »

If you know what you're doing, and have the proper safety equipment, a canoe is perfectly safe on the fraser. I've paddled down many rivers and canyons in one...just watch out for boat wakes, trees, know how to read the current, ect.

I would strongly recommend against anchoring....that's just asking for it.

StillAqua

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 04:26:05 AM »

Check with Simon Fraser....he did it about 200 years ago with a bunch of buddies. And they had a lot of gear in their canoes.  ;D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 08:20:12 AM »

Canoeing in the Fraser should not be an issue.

Anchoring a canoe in moving water on the other hand is a great way to make sure that you and all your gear gets very wet.  :o
Actions speak louder than words.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »

Check with Simon Fraser....he did it about 200 years ago with a bunch of buddies. And they had a lot of gear in their canoes.  ;D
I'd like to see him try it with jetboats, tugs and barges.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »

The river in the area from Langley Derby Reach on up to Hope is usually pretty quiet. The most common river traffic are sturgeon anglers and pleasure craft this time of year. From Hope on down it's popular with canoeists and kayakers. Some clubs do group paddles for new members on the river. I'd guess you could anchor provided you are careful and stay alert to what's going on around you depending if you have experience anchoring in comparable situations such as windy lakes etc.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 02:07:24 PM »

You could try to stick to the Bedford area.  No wake zone and out of the main river.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »

I've paddled a canoe from just north of Hope to New Westminster with no problems, and camped along the way. But, I have paddled and rafted rivers for over 50 years. I also had a map. Like others, I highly recommend NOT anchoring a canoe in moving water... even though I know it can be done. The main problem will be getting back to your vehicle drop off point. The Fraser is MUCH faster than it looks and unless you are a very strong paddler it in near impossible to go back up river to your launch site.

That said, my paddle down the Fraser was a marvelous experience. I caught trout, char and salmon all along the journey. I met lots of friendly natives, but I was always deferential that I was on their land. I always asked first before I set up camp. One group didn't want me to camp at first, but once I smiled, said I understand and was prepared to move they changed their mind. After that we were just fellow anglers sharing the water.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 04:12:17 PM »

I've anchored my canoe (used a motor on it) on the Fraser and kept kayak paddle in there if I had to point the sucker into the wake of a wave coming my way. The canoe is pretty wide and not very tippy. I just leave enough slack on the anchor line that you can paddle free of it. When there use to be a lot of tugs and log booms it was pretty scary though. The lower Fraser it's best to be able to disconnect from your anchor line (bouy on it) and have a log boom or something to hide behind when some of the big traffic comes by. Upper Fraser need a heavy anchor I used a cast iron pipe strainer that weighed about 25 lbs but sometimes you would still be pushed downstream. Always wear a life jacket and keep your personal affects in a plastic bag attached to your body in case of accident or death.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »

North Arm is slower flow and less traffic.
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

Dogbreath

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 12:09:52 PM »

North Arm is slower flow and less traffic.
The North Arm is notorious for being full of floating wood and heavy commercial traffic makes for some huge waves crashing into retaining walls & beaches and then washing back out it's not a paddle friendly place at all.