Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best snagging day ever!!!!!  (Read 30869 times)

TheLostSockeye

Re: Best snagging day ever!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2014, 01:21:24 PM »

Or have you not figured out from my name that TNAngler means I am in Tennessee?  Or maybe that is just one of my fish tales like some of yours.

Since there is this magic catch a fish every cast place, you should tell everyone where it is and what to do so that people can stop wasting time and effort so they can get their two fish and go home.  We can just form a nice straight line.  A person will move up, make two casts, and then it will be the next persons turn.  I'm sure we can get through a couple hundred people in a day.

The way you described your rig would take someone ages to make a copy of it. If one could see a picture it would be easy to replicate.

I honestly wish people would get their 2 fish and leave but there are to any beaks out there that are trying to catch a spring. I for one get my 2 and leave. If i happen to catch a spring in-between catching those 2 *bonus*. But i will never deliberately try to floss a spring.

How am i supposed to know you are from TN? Im sure you could replicate your rig down there and get a picture up. As it seems you use knitting supplies. They sell that stuff everywhere.

The only reason why i'm disagreeing with you is because i find it very hard to believe that the sockeye are biting. Especially in the fraser. Guys in the tidal can't even get the to bite let alone at grassy bar.

TNAngler

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2014, 01:29:54 PM »

The way you described your rig would take someone ages to make a copy of it. If one could see a picture it would be easy to replicate.

I honestly wish people would get their 2 fish and leave but there are to any beaks out there that are trying to catch a spring. I for one get my 2 and leave. If i happen to catch a spring in-between catching those 2 *bonus*. But i will never deliberately try to floss a spring.

How am i supposed to know you are from TN? Im sure you could replicate your rig down there and get a picture up. As it seems you use knitting supplies. They sell that stuff everywhere.

The only reason why i'm disagreeing with you is because i find it very hard to believe that the sockeye are biting. Especially in the fraser. Guys in the tidal can't even get the to bite let alone at grassy bar.

But according to you, you can go down and get a fish every cast, in the mouth.  How is there even a possibility of catching a spring "in-between" those two casts?  Do you have springs coming up and eating the sockeye you are catching?

The rig isn't that hard.  Spin n glo, bead, hook with the color yard I gave.  If it helps, we take a piece of yarn about an inch long and fold it in half and put it through the hook.  We tie the hook with what we always called an egg knot where you can make a loop after the eye.  It just requires the right color yarn and the right size spin n glo, both of which are easily described.  Nobody else seemed to have issues figuring out what to do, let alone said it would take "ages to copy".

Why can't you give more details on how you are fishing for your two sockeye?  You obviously can get them inside the mouth on just about every cast.  If anybody else wants more details on my rig, I can give it but you are just deciding to be difficult.  Being difficult without actually giving any information on what you use other than if you cast in the right spot you can catch them in the mouth every time usually means that you are just talking crap when you are probably out there fishing with nothing on your hook.

Please enlighten us so that we can all be the fishing god that you claim to be.

Ambassador

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »

Or have you not figured out from my name that TNAngler means I am in Tennessee?

Here I was thinking that your name was a combination of your passion for the ladies and fishing!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

TNAngler

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »

Here I was thinking that your name was a combination of your passion for the ladies and fishing!

Ah, nice one.  I do love me the ladies, and the fishing.  Ladies fishing, wow.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »

But according to you, you can go down and get a fish every cast, in the mouth.  How is there even a possibility of catching a spring "in-between" those two casts?  Do you have springs coming up and eating the sockeye you are catching?

The rig isn't that hard.  Spin n glo, bead, hook with the color yard I gave.  If it helps, we take a piece of yarn about an inch long and fold it in half and put it through the hook.  We tie the hook with what we always called an egg knot where you can make a loop after the eye.  It just requires the right color yarn and the right size spin n glo, both of which are easily described.  Nobody else seemed to have issues figuring out what to do, let alone said it would take "ages to copy".

Why can't you give more details on how you are fishing for your two sockeye?  You obviously can get them inside the mouth on just about every cast.  If anybody else wants more details on my rig, I can give it but you are just deciding to be difficult.  Being difficult without actually giving any information on what you use other than if you cast in the right spot you can catch them in the mouth every time usually means that you are just talking crap when you are probably out there fishing with nothing on your hook.

Please enlighten us so that we can all be the fishing god that you claim to be.

Im not claiming to be a fishing god. But the majority of the guys out there fishing have no idea what they are doing. So when i show up and get y fish in 2 casts they are astonished. It doesn't matter what you use i have flossed the with everything. But if it makes you feel better. I use 4 oz weight with line saver. A 20lb leader that is 3 arm lengths long. green wool with pink in the middle.

Next time i go to peg i take a picture of the run and show you how to read the water to get a fish every cast.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »

This thread is becoming interesting.

TNAngler

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2014, 01:57:47 PM »

Im not claiming to be a fishing god. But the majority of the guys out there fishing have no idea what they are doing. So when i show up and get y fish in 2 casts they are astonished. It doesn't matter what you use i have flossed the with everything. But if it makes you feel better. I use 4 oz weight with line saver. A 20lb leader that is 3 arm lengths long. green wool with pink in the middle.

Next time i go to peg i take a picture of the run and show you how to read the water to get a fish every cast.

Catching one most every cast right now doesn't seem that difficult.  I wouldn't have to read the water.  When the run is this big, just about any cast should get you bites.  It is when the run isn't big.  But please, post your pictures and show us your wisdom.

Whatever.  If people want to try my rig, go ahead.  If you wish to report back and tell whether it increased your production, or even post pictures of what you tied up and I can tell you what to do different, go ahead.  I'm just trying to help some of these people that have no idea what they are doing.  Give them something that will help.  Help them catch more fish, snag fewer.  Sounds like you just leave them there wondering and upset and then complain when they don't know what they are doing.  Perhaps you should spend part of your day down there offering lessons on how to read the water so more people can know what they are doing.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »

This is brutal. You've got countless guides out there trying everything under the sun for years to get these fish to bite, but you've found the magic green wool. Your stories have no merit.
I'll say it again, show us the magic lure! You ramble on about all these precise conditions that need to be met for this lure to work, then wont show us what it looks like. Being rude for asking a family member to take a picture of it for you? And we're unbelievable?
I'm done with this thread, just admit to yourself, you're flossing.

TNAngler

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »

This is brutal. You've got countless guides out there trying everything under the sun for years to get these fish to bite, but you've found the magic green wool. Your stories have no merit.
I'll say it again, show us the magic lure! You ramble on about all these precise conditions that need to be met for this lure to work, then wont show us what it looks like. Being rude for asking a family member to take a picture of it for you? And we're unbelievable?
I'm done with this thread, just admit to yourself, you're flossing.

I'm in TN.  My dad doesn't have a phone to take a picture.  Nobody else but my mom who doesn't even have a cell phone in the house.  Who else should I ask?  My sister?  So, maybe in the middle of her cancer treatments she should go over to my parents house to get a picture for you?  Or perhaps the brother that I haven't talked to in four years?  Maybe he can drive an hour one way just to get your picture?  Or the other brother who works so many hours he doesn't have time to go fishing himself?  Maybe he can drive the hour one way to take a picture?  Or me?  Maybe you want to pay $750 for me to fly home just so I can get a picture for you because you can't follow simple directions?

Believe me or not.  I don't care.  If people want to try it, they are free.  If they don't, their loss.

fisherforever

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »

3 posts, and this topic?

Smells like bait to me... :(
. I think you're right, just trolled everyone! Notice the originator of this topic hasn't been online since the original post.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2014, 05:18:08 PM »

The sockeye c&r study found 18% of fish were hooked inside the mouth.
100% of the fish were flossed.

here's a link to the actual study: http://www.thinksalmon.com/reports/FraserSockeyeHookReleaseMortality08FSWP175.pdf
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »

Too funny. Buddy is bottom bouncing horizontally in zero visibility 1-3 feet off the bottom with a special coloured wool and can't admit he is flossing.
If you are dead drifting under a float with a weighted lure then you can say you're not flossing.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »

The rig isn't that hard.  Spin n glo, bead, hook with the color yard I gave.

Actually, the one thing that makes this somewhat plausible is the spin-n-glo.

One can cast for pinks and cohos successfully in the fraser with almost no visibility using spinners, spoons, spin-n-glos etc.and obviously no one doubts those fish actively bite. Fish have excellent ability to detect vibration and movement. It's not beyond belief that using a spin-n-glo instead of a corkie or plain wool is the major factor in your 'magic rig'.

Requiring any specific shade of wool is probably overstated and I would guess is a result of confirmation bias. Nothing I have ever seen nor heard about salmon fishing in any condition would suggest that an exact specific colour exists that would consistently get fish to strike day after day when no other colour is even remotely effective. The suggestion that it would make much difference at all in the silty Fraser is hard to believe. Not meant to be a criticism, but it's in direct conflict with what we seem to currently know about salmon fishing. If it turns out to be true, it would truly be a revolutionary and amazing discovery.

As for leader length? I dont know, it's clear that a leader of sufficient length is probably required to give the spin-n-glo enough 'freedom' to operate properly in an uninhibited manner for the right action. Whether that is 1', 3', or 10' is speculation. But you also cant deny that the probability of flossing, intentional or not, increases exponentially with leader length.

I'll accept your claims at face value, but you have to realize that using what can only be described as a flossing rig yet have almost all your sockeye legitimately bite puts you in the 0.01% of fishermen. You are literally out-fishing all the other casters on the Fraser combined. Congrats on your success, but the implication that any technique requires such a specific set of conditions such that the top fisherman can outperform the next 1000 competitors collectively is what is making others so skeptical, to say the least.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »

Actually, the one thing that makes this somewhat plausible is the spin-n-glo.

One can cast for pinks and cohos successfully in the fraser with almost no visibility using spinners, spoons, spin-n-glos etc.and obviously no one doubts those fish actively bite.

once I was fishing a side arm for Pinks in mid-Sept, it had been hot and visibility was dreadful as coloured as mid July best I can recall. Couldn't touch anything on a fly. I resorted to an old trick - a small pink and white dick nite which can be cast and I  just held it almost directly downstream in a about 3 feet of water with a clear intermediate tip and just below the surface.  - I had a limit within an hour. All these fish were hooked in the mouth near the tongue.

As for leader length? I dont know, it's clear that a leader of sufficient length is probably required to give the spin-n-glo enough 'freedom' to operate properly in an uninhibited manner for the right action. Whether that is 1', 3', or 10' is speculation.

anyone remember Charlie White and his underwater camera rig? Charlie had a TV for a season and took his rig to the Cowlitz River to fish for King Salmon and Summer steelhead with a guide. The guide fished with roe and a spin and glo and several feet of leader with the bait more or less tethered to the botton via a weight (like bar fishing). Charlie's camera recorded 2 interesting things 1) though fishing was slow the pool was full of salmon and steelhead 2) the spin and glo worked it's way some feet up the leader to the swivel over a period of time. Both these things were very disconcerting to the guide.  You  make what you want of that.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

KevinR

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2014, 06:42:46 AM »

What i would like someone to explain to me is how is swinging a weighted fly line through a pool of fish any different from bottom bouncing ...YOUR FLOSSING THEM !!!!!  I've seen many fly fishermen drag fish in by the tails on the Vedder over the years . Just my two cents .