Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon baitcasting rod question.  (Read 9964 times)

losos

Salmon baitcasting rod question.
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »

Hi guys.
A friend of mine wants to start fishing for salmon and he doesn't want to invest too much shekels initially . My advice was 11' Fenwick HMX ,but I've learned since Fenwick is owned or made by chinese. Since I haven't bought  new rod for a long time I don't have knowledge of recent products. Could anyone help ?

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Salmon baitcasting rod question.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »

Why would you think there is anything wrong with rods made in China? New rods have warranties.

I've never looked at or worries about where a rod has been made - couldn't care less. I only buy rods based on need/application, personal feel for the rod and with most consideration to cost.

Buy it if it feels right for the targetted fish and water system - then use it. If you don't like it sell it and get something else. No need to over think this. If the Fenwick seems right - get it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:23:50 PM by Rieber »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »

Shimano Clarus CSC96M2B

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 08:47:08 PM »

Shimano Clarus CSC96M2B

Nice rod.

Golfer

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:53:30 PM »

A couple days ago i picked up a 10`6" 10-20lb Fenwick HMX from highwater.  I have zero complaints.  It is nice and light and was perfect for the couple early bluebacks I have caught recently.  I have mine paired with a c3 5500 and 12lb UG.  Great for spoon tossing. 

Daguru

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »

The clairus is an awsome rod, but if you want a to spend less the shimano convergence is pretty good too and also come with shimano a lifetime waranty.

Wool

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »

I have beat up a lot a fish with my Fenwick and use a Convergence as a back up. Both with 6500 C4. Great rods.

losos

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 09:25:26 PM »

Shimano Clarus CSC96M2B
Thanks, however as I myself am using 10.6' Fenwick HMX I think 11' or 11.6 ' would be better for a long distance casting.
Owning myself 9' Clarus it is a very good rod imo for the price just a tad short plus 10.6' is about $60 more expensive than 11' Fenwick.
I'll will even lend guy my baitcaster until he decides whether to invest more money in fishing.

losos

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 09:39:24 PM »

Why would you think there is anything wrong with rods made in China? New rods have warranties.

I've never looked at or worries about where a rod has been made - couldn't care less. I only buy rods based on need/application, personal feel for the rod and with most consideration to cost.

Buy it if it feels right for the targetted fish and water system - then use it. If you don't like it sell it and get something else. No need to over think this. If the Fenwick seems right - get it.
It is just that many complained about China made  Abu being not up to par with Swedish sibling. There is general consensus that Chinese products are of lower quality hence they can keep lower prices. As for warranties Chrysler at one point had 120k 7  year warranty and I wouldn't touch it with 20 foot pole since it is up to the warrantor how he is going to execute claim and we all know how it works..

Archer

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 09:42:50 PM »

I really like my Fenwick Canadian Methods 10'.6 rod paired up with an Abu Garcia C3 6500.  The combo is $209 at Army & Navy in Langley.  It handles salmon well, slayed many Chums last fall on the Stave.  As usual the baitcaster takes practice, but I got the hang of it fine, and there was no backlash I couldn't pull out in under a few min.  Keep the reel oiled, and it will be a lifer!

Archer

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 09:46:18 PM »

My combo is less then 1 year old, well used, and the reel is made in Sweden.  The Fenwick rod, I am not sure, don't care cause its tried and true, and had no cheap feel to it at all :P

losos

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 10:12:11 PM »

I really like my Fenwick Canadian Methods 10'.6 rod paired up with an Abu Garcia C3 6500.  The combo is $209 at Army & Navy in Langley.  It handles salmon well, slayed many Chums last fall on the Stave.  As usual the baitcaster takes practice, but I got the hang of it fine, and there was no backlash I couldn't pull out in under a few min.  Keep the reel oiled, and it will be a lifer!
Like I wrote above I have a couple of baitcasters serviced by myself of which one I'll lend to this guy (it'll be C4 6500 with some upgrades) however since I was off fishing gear market for many years I'd like to get advise on 11-11.6' rods . Anyway thanks for the  response.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:11:23 AM by losos »

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 07:29:08 AM »

I like that rod because its realy flexible i had 4lb bull trout fight like a coho on that rod.

sbc hris

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 11:47:22 AM »

I also have a Fenwick Canadian methods and like it just fine. I've caught many fish over the last 5-6 years with it, and feels a lot better than the convergence it replaced.

As far as Chinese made rods go, I'm pretty sure most of them out there under $300 are made in China, so unless he wants to pay up for a Sage or Loomis, he's probably getting an overseas rod.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »

I also like the Trophy line of rods.
Good bang for the buck and probably made offshore no doubt.
Not sure about warranty but im sure as good as the other lower end rods mentioned.