Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Squamish River access closure  (Read 7212 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
New Squamish River access closure
« on: April 26, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »

Please note that there are some new access closure in the Lower Squamish River.

fishyfish

Re: New Squamish River access closure
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »

Hello Rod. Please excuse my map reading abilities but are you able to explain where that sign is in   relationship between this closure sign and where the squamish meets the mamquam at the CN railway bridge? Is it quite a bit further South (the closure) of the bridge? Does it include both the East and West sides of the squamish?  Any roads or physical landmarks that would explain that area that is closed? Much appreciated.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:14:53 PM »

This sign is located at Fisherman's Park on Brennen Road off of Judd Road in Brackendale. It is nowhere near the Mamquam River - Squamish River - CN Rail Bridge. The sign is on the Dyke just north of Fisherman's Park and is indeed on IR # 15. They do have the right to restrict access as this is not public property. That being said, Reserve property only extends to the high water mark as defined by the "Regina vrs Lewis " case of a few years ago. You just may not access that land by crossing Band property.

Why this sigh has appeared is unknown. It could have been the result of all the people on that area of the Squamish last summer and fall that angled at one of the traditional netting sites or it could have been caused by all of the garbage that was left in theses areas by anglers or it may be a preemptive strike before this years Live at Squamish campers start looking for a free camping place for the festival.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 02:57:47 PM »

Most of the problems are due to so called "anglers" pooping in their own nest. Anglers have dumped their garbage and abused the land everywhere, and when it is on native land the natives naturally get upset.

fishyfish

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:18:18 PM »

Thank you for the clarification. I think I know the spot. I guess I will figure it out when I go next. If it is where I think it is few people used to fish there until a couple of years ago. May I email you privately BKK?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:27:16 PM by fishyfish »

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »

Bummer.  There is getting to be precious few access points remaining on the Squamish and Fraser compared to the number of potential users.  Those that remain are often via either native or private property so it is only a matter of time until some of the last close  Some of the larger bars on the Fraser have been closed off since the last big sockeye run so there will probably be an access crunch this year.  It would be so wonderful if our local promoting politicians included recreational access to the rivers in their priorities.

Time to buy a jet boat.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »

Why this sigh has appeared is unknown. It could have been the result of all the people on that area of the Squamish last summer and fall that angled at one of the traditional netting sites or it could have been caused by all of the garbage that was left in theses areas by anglers or it may be a preemptive strike before this years Live at Squamish campers start looking for a free camping place for the festival.

B, is the Sea-to-Sky SFAC communicating with the band to find out what the exact reasons are so perhaps a compromise/resolution can be developed for recreational access this fall?

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 09:58:52 PM »

If it is where I think it is few people used to fish there until a couple of years ago.

With that statement, Fishyfish you don't know where this is.

Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »

I can appreciate why First Nations groups do this but it to me it seems they do it in a very inconsistent fashion. Signs like this go up every number of years ending access for a variety of users. In my experience the area north of the sign is more popular with Dog walkers etc than anglers. As time goes by the signs fade or are torn down. Exclusion aren't enforced and slowly people realize this and use goes up followed by erection of new signs and the process starts all over.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »

Is the Sea-to-Sky SFAC communicating with the band to find out what the exact reasons are so perhaps a compromise/resolution can be developed for recreational access this fall?

Nothing official I am told but there have been informal discussions with the Band. The big issue I have been told is that some of the Band members were getting grief from some members of the public while they were engaged in netting activities at one of their traditional fishing sites. Will be interesting to see if this expands to any of the other lower Squamish fishing sites that anglers access ( Leskies).

fishyfish

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »

With that statement, Fishyfish you don't know where this is.

I think I know where it is but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. Like someone said there are a lot of dog walkers etc. there. I don't want to get too specific on a public forum.   The years go by so fast and become blurred when you get older. It is easy to miss a few years with something like a chum run being closed for  two or three years and next thing you know what seemed like a few years can be six. I just hope it is clearly marked. The sign looks vague to me but hey I don't pretend to be a technical  sign reader. If it is clearly marked trespassing beyond this point then that is self explanatory.  Wouldn't be until fall until I would go if the chum were open  anyway so I wont lose too much sleep. Maybe someone will need firewood and the sign won't be there. Who knows.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:20:53 AM by Rodney »

fishyfish

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »

How long has it been since sport fishermen were able to retain a chum in this system?

ALBA CHIEFISH

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »

if you were to float a pontoon boat down there, and/or stay within the high water line could you still fish ?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:52:55 PM by ALBA CHIEFISH »

salmonlover

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »

if you were to float pontoon boat down there, and/or stay within the high water line could you still fish ?

no. you can't fish on any of their land unless you have permission.

fishyfish

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »

if you were to float a pontoon boat down there, and/or stay within the high water line could you still fish ?

I believe you can as long as you stay below the high water line. They own the land not the river.