Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the best line setup on a center pin?  (Read 21586 times)

Wool

What's the best line setup on a center pin?
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »

Is there a difference in what type of line and rating to spool a center pin? I guessing most people are a one size fits all? The reason I ask is I want to spoon a 5" Campell for springs and I don't want to be wrong. Seems like a lot of choices hanging on the walls of the stores.

Daguru

Re: What's the best line setup on a center pin?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:36:51 PM »

I spooled up with 20lb of berkley transoptic and love it. Really helps you see your line and it's pretty supple

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 11:52:44 PM »

Big Game mono 20# for big spring salmon. ;D

Kenwee

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:33:21 AM »

The line I like best is Damyl Tectan 24.6 lb test. It is strong and small in diameter, 0.014 inch. Easy to cast and does not twist.Easy to mend and does not create a bow in your line in long casts.
In the recent months I have tried and tested many brands Sufix Elite, Siege, Promix, P-Line hydrofloat, CX,CXX, Raven, Sunllne Mono Shensei (this is very good too but expensive),Siglon FF , Siglon F(expensive and after a while breaks easily), Berkleys, and more……..but Damyl Tectan 24.6lb is my go to line. It is not cheap at $US$17.95 for 300m, allows you load into 2 CP of 4.38inch. I bought the 5000m bulk spool for US$159.95. This gives me 36 CP spools which will cost me more or less US$4.45 to spool one CP reel.If you wish to see it in action contact me and you will be convinced that this is possibly the best mono available today. This opinion is just my preference and my personal choice and my opinion does not at all claim that all the other lines available are not good.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:15:10 AM »

I don't CP, but why not one of the new superlines (suffix 832, PowerPro UltraSlick 8)?
They are limp enough for use on spinning reels, float, are higher visibility than mono...

Kenwee

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:30:22 AM »

The problem with Sufix 832 and P-Line hydrofloat is they are braid lines. If you get a birds nest with these lines, you will have a nightmare on your hands trying to untangle it. When you get too many kinks on the Hydrofloat line , it breaks easily. Also the yellow coating on the Hydrofloat line wears off after some use and the core is exposed and this weakens the line.

I have used ultra green for years. Being mono it is stable and does not peel like hydrofloat. But I find it too thick in diameter and sinks, always creating a bow in the water in moderately long casts.

In my attempt to find a line I like, I have tried so many in the market and spent quite a bit of money in this search. Many lines twist and have memory which creates more twist and can cause problems in casting the line out. I find Dam Tectan has low memory and has practically no twist. Also being thin in diameter it casts out effortlessly. Just lifting the line allows u to mend easily and it floats down river off the water. Its a dream line.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »

anyone especially beginners, deciding to use braided line for centerpin is asking for trouble...stiff mono is the best way to go.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »

i also use ultra green 15lb test, never had an issue. best part walmart carries it for cheap. dont over think it. their are many other things that are far more important than the main line. 15lb test will be fine for just about every fish you encounter in the lower mainland besides big white springs and a few large chum. if you are targeting these two types of fish i would use a baitcaster anyways. just my 2 cents

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 06:50:36 PM »

I Use 30lb braid as backing, But I fish 12lb ultra green as main for all salmon,, I've found its plenty strong enough to handle springs and chum on a centerpin if you don't horse around the fish, And light enough not to spook fish in Clear waters.   I used braid for one season on a casting reel, I was not a fan in the least bit, It was completely unnecessary, And took away from the sensitivity that mono gives.

Daguru

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »

I hear a lot of people say this aswell but never really understood why, wouldn't braid be more sesitive since there is no stretch? For me I have found that braid is so far better in terms of sensitivity, I can usually feel bites before I can see my float go down. But I use mono on my pins because I like to replace my line often and it's much cheaper.
I Use 30lb braid as backing, But I fish 12lb ultra green as main for all salmon,, I've found its plenty strong enough to handle springs and chum on a centerpin if you don't horse around the fish, And light enough not to spook fish in Clear waters.   I used braid for one season on a casting reel, I was not a fan in the least bit, It was completely unnecessary, And took away from the sensitivity that mono gives.

lightsorcerer

• Leather Fly Fishing Wallets
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »

Maxima Chameleon 15 lb
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 09:32:06 PM »

Its Just personal preference for me I don't like the lack of sensitivity when fighting a fish with braid, I prefer the stretch of the mono when fighing fish, Especially when I personally use such light leaders (never using over 10lb leader) fishing for salmon.    I fish for fun, I only keep 2 or 3 small springs or coho a year, so I like to challenge myself with lighter gear, And I would only break off fish using braid.   That and its cheaper to replace as you said, I re spool my center pin quite often during summer.

Wool

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 10:57:49 PM »

Amazing info.

Daguru

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »

Yah the mono acts like a built in shock absorber and pertects light leaders

Drewhill

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 11:14:57 PM »

12 is way too light. You'll either end up breaking off and losing everything or spend way too much time fight a fish and stressing it out. 20 pound Chameleon is perfect for springs. If you want a challenge just stick with a lighter leader.