Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New way to get feathers  (Read 2211 times)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
New way to get feathers
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:05:13 PM »

On my recent trip to Saltspring Island, not many fish were biting. I got so bored that I went down to the rocky shoreline to adventure a little. In the water, I could see a few feathers floating around. I was so bored that I decided to grab them. After getting anfew, I carefully dried them out and looked at them. They were really beautiful flank feathers of different colour patterns. Some were just plain black and some white. There were a few good mallard flank feathers that looked like wood duck, and a few feathers that even looked like feathers from a jungle cock cape.
Overall, I think this is a pretty good way to get fly tying feathers. With a bit of luck and the right conditions, you can get some great feathers without buying them.
Someone was here

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: New way to get feathers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:33:53 AM »

even if you found these in salt water make sure to wash them in mild soap to eliminate any bugs that may be there otherwise you may find your feathers eaten. You also can store them with moth balls afterwards.

This isnt usually necessary with store bought because the companies have already cleaned theirs however from time to time it can still happen.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:20:38 PM »

Keep em in a ziplock bag, and stick em in your freezer for a couple of weeks, that will cure any bug worries.
Take the T out of Morton.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »

Just tied a few extended bodied dries with some of those feathers. Turned out nice.
Someone was here

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:18:45 PM »

two options for storage. I was told by a fly shop to microwave them (I BELIEVE I was told for 1-2 minutes.) I havent tried that, so im not sure if it would affect the strength or anything. Another more accepted way, is to freeze for a week to kill any bugs. Remove from the freezer for 3 days to a week to allow any eggs to hatch, then refreeze for another week to kill anything left living. Your call.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!