Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing stocked trout from boat  (Read 2768 times)

fish fear me

Fishing stocked trout from boat
« on: April 01, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »

I recently got a boat its actually a porta boat there cool folding boats really easy to store its 12 feet long and can hold 4 people (is pretty wide) but with just me and my son inside theres lots of room. Anyways I was thinking of taking it out for some trout probably como, but although I have done some float fishing from shore for trout I've never targeted them from a boat. we have yet to get to get rod holders so although possible trolling would not be ideal. Just wondering what methods are best? (for como and other lower mainland lakes). also I couldn't find weather or not you can use an electric motor in como. (I do have a flyrod but am centenary at beginner level so conventional is my preference)  Thanks.     

BananasQ

Re: Fishing stocked trout from boat
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 08:15:03 AM »

Congrats on the porta bote - I've been considering one of those myself. My little family does fishing from our canoe and after not a huge amount of success we popped rod holders on it and started trolling - its definitely a very productive method of fishing as you cover large areas and the presentation is good. Otherwise you may want to invest in an anchor and a depth finder (humminbird fishin buddy perhaps), but the challenge I found was that if you weren't actively moving your boat, then the wind would likely be doing it for you. Put another way, the reason you see so many people trolling is because it works.

fish fear me

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:29:49 AM »

Thanks I suppose we will give trolling a try we do have a fish finder but since we don't have an anchor the wind will be killer were kind of just buying the accessories we need over time so we will be getting the rod holders/anchor soon.

BananasQ

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »

At Como and Lafarge you may be okay, my experience is more sasamat and buntzen. Good luck and tight lines!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 07:25:30 AM »

Save up 50$ and get two scotty rod holders with gunnel clamp on mounts.  So easy to put on and take off without having to make holes.

2nd Buntzen and Sassamat.  Maybe Mike, Rolley, Whonnock as well.  Easy to catch some crappie float fishing.

Either way, you will want an electric motor and a battery soon.  Deer lake in Burnaby too, for trout and bass could be an easy trip, depending where you are.

Have fun, and check the stocking reords.

kalex60

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 04:27:19 PM »

would troll little shaver spoons slow they work great on any of the stocked lakes make lots of turns in you boat with a rod on either side of the boat it will make your lures rise and fall a bit in the water column with the changes in speed