Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: C&R fish handling  (Read 11052 times)

whereismyfloat

Re: C&R fish handling
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »

No. That study shows that if the trout ability to breath is removed for prolonged period mortality rises quickly. It's reasonably assumed that the fish can't breath when not in water. There is a significant change at around 30 seconds of air exposure.

If you read the specific study in  your link- they recommend fish be held out of water for no more than 20 seconds

I did read it RalphH. :)

The study was done using "exercised " trout as I posted. They exhausted them first to simulate having been tired out during a fight and then deprived them of water. The second paragraph in the link I provided discusses briefly the physiological effects due to angling duration, which are significant. "Add" to that, oxygen deprivation and the mortality rates spike.

Nonetheless, I think we both agree a quick picture is fine as long as one is using common sense and not holding a tired, stress out fish, out of the water for extended periods.

Cheers,

wimf

losos

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2016, 11:44:12 AM »

You're talking about lactic acid?
Yes the longer you play the fish the more lactic acid builds up which can kill the fish.
I'm not trying to start an argument with you maybe it came across that way when I read back. However the fact that I've caught fish with old hooks in them in fresh and salt kind of debunks that at least somewhat.
Can you provide a link to this study I must have missed it on here.

Noach, unfortunately the link was provided here by someone else , it was about a year ago if memory doesn't fail me and you should not count on it. The substance was not lactic acid since I'm familiar with it for my entire life ,after all I used to be sportsman, but something else. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »

I did read it RalphH. :)

Nonetheless, I think we both agree a quick picture is fine as long as one is using common sense and not holding a tired, stress out fish, out of the water for extended periods.

Cheers,

wimf

Sorry, it was just a figure of speech. I knew you read it and by 'you' I more intended to mean anyone who read my post. Yes we agree.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2016, 01:16:54 PM »

When you are new and excited about catching a fish, you do not stop and think about the survivability of the fish. They drag them up before checking whether its hatch or native. I see it during both coho and steelhead season.

I think education is the main thing for fishermen. I think we all did it once or twice until we were told not to do it. It is heart wrenching when you see someone dragging a chum up 10 feet and then slowly kicking it back into the water....