Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It finally happened  (Read 13338 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: It finally happened
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 07:17:38 PM »

Hmmm...I wonder if Fisheries Officers would attend?  Yes, they are peace officers, but would they be concerned about theft of crabs. Is that covered under the Fisheries Act, or any other acts that they enforce?  Would theft of crabs from traps instead be a matter for municipal law enforcement?
I'm not sure, but it couldn't hurt to call them. Police/Sheriff would be another option - is this the same as cattle rustling??

wizard

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »

How cool would it be for law enforcement either dfo, rcmp or whoever do a sting operation...set some traps in a known crab thief area, surveil it and bust the guys red handed...like they do for bait cars, or bait bikes?!  I know dfo is stretched pretty thin as is to do operation like that but it would be nice to see these guys get busted for once.

Low life trap thief bringing his kid out to steal people's stuff, that's disgusting.  No worse then bringing your kid to steal out of people's cars or yards...

Electroman

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 07:18:22 AM »

I think next time I go crabbing I will be bringing my paint ball gun.

Don't most people have their names on their floats? Pretty easy to identify if it is your trap or not. Were they just messing with your float of did they have the trap in their boat?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 08:16:20 AM »

Caught red handed trap was in their boat. Unopened.
My floats all have my ID on them.

ShaunO

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 10:30:45 AM »

Hmmm...I wonder if Fisheries Officers would attend?  Yes, they are peace officers, but would they be concerned about theft of crabs. Is that covered under the Fisheries Act, or any other acts that they enforce?  Would theft of crabs from traps instead be a matter for municipal law enforcement?

It's all about statistics.  With the limited enforcement resources available, they are deployed based upon stats.  If people are not reporting incidents like this, then the stats won't show whats taking place.  Please, please, please report everything.  These stats are not only useful for assigning officers to an area, but are also used to calculate how much manpower is needed.  The squeaky wheel will get the grease!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 10:58:56 AM »

It's all about statistics.  With the limited enforcement resources available, they are deployed based upon stats.  If people are not reporting incidents like this, then the stats won't show whats taking place.  Please, please, please report everything.  These stats are not only useful for assigning officers to an area, but are also used to calculate how much manpower is needed.  The squeaky wheel will get the grease!

It's not all about statistics; it's also about reporting to the correct law enforcement agency...which may not have been entirely clear in my post. I was questioning if FOC is the appropriate agency to investigate theft (of crabs).

You can be a squeaky wheel all you want, but if you are being squeaky to the wrong agency, your squeakiness is likely having minimal effect.

ShaunO

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »

It's not all about statistics; it's also about reporting to the correct law enforcement agency...which may not have been entirely clear in my post. I was questioning if FOC is the appropriate agency to investigate theft (of crabs).

You can be a squeaky wheel all you want, but if you are being squeaky to the wrong agency, your squeakiness is likely having minimal effect.

I disagree because statistics are what is used to put the most number of good guys where the most number of bad guys are.  Calling the wrong agency does not devalue how statistics are used, but it could be a lost opportunity to track illegal activities.  The onus is upon the reporter to know how to make that complaint count.  That is why forums like this are great resources for those who have seen something illegal but might not know who to call or if they should even report it.  With respect to DFO being the correct agency, that is up for debate, but it is my personal opinion that if someone is going to raid traps that do not belong to them, then they do not have any regard for licenses, daily limits or releasing female crabs.  Where there is smoke, there is almost certainly fire.  I am certain that DFO would appreciate the report.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 01:25:42 PM »

but it is my personal opinion that if someone is going to raid traps that do not belong to them, then they do not have any regard for licenses, daily limits or releasing female crabs.  Where there is smoke, there is almost certainly fire.
Agreed

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »

Hopefully next time someone catches these low-lifes stealing traps they can get some photographic and/or video evidence and report them appropriately

BananasQ

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »

Hopefully next time someone catches these low-lifes stealing traps they can get some photographic and/or video evidence and report them appropriately

Was thinking of hitting up south of Belcarra for some crabbing this weekend; I'll bring the telephoto lens with.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »

I guess we should watch out for them to show up at Tsawwassen next . Now they've been spotted at Bel . >:(
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »

And when the commercial guys have their opening There's a few accidental pulls....
Not all, but there are some who will drop traps and they can pull and drop again quicker than the average crabber.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 12:07:14 AM »

I don't crab around the commies, heard of too many stories of buoys getting cut off.

kanuckle head

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »

That's so wrong, a crab trap with a buoy cut off is a death trap for crabs in the area.....forever

I had a trap missing north of the coal port and I estimated I dropped too close in between a commi string line 

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 08:38:54 AM »

Your trap is illegal if it doesn't have a hole large enough for crabs to escape with rot cord tying it shut.
Whether or not it actually works I don't know. The trap will only fish as long as there's bait in the trap.