Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help needed to choose my first Zodiac inflatable  (Read 24442 times)

Tangles

Re: Help needed to choose my first Zodiac inflatable
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 08:21:28 PM »

Great info guys, big Thanks! I'll follow your suggestions and scout the net for a good quality used boat.
Also does anyone know what's the formalities if you are to bring a used one across the border? Is there any paperwork that you need for customs, etc.?
Cheers
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:38:17 PM by Tangles »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 10:12:41 AM »

1) Check to see if inflatable boats require Washington State (or whatever state you buy it from) Title (this is a must have, if they are required)

I just brought a boat up from the states this January.  Absolute breeze.

I had with me;
-Bill of sale for boat
-Bill of sale for trailer
-Copy of the boat advertisement
- State Title for Boat signed by the seller
- And various odds and sods that they never looked at (email chain showing negotiation process, copy of the cheque I sent to the seller matching the final price, ICBC binder of insurance for the trailer)

I had no title for trailer (came from a state that doesn't require duty on trailers below a certain GVW). Came with current registration and license plate from the state it came from that I will be sending back to the seller.

No RIV for me as my trailer is a year 2000.  Doesn't effect you as I don't think you're buying a trailer.

Couldn't have been easier. I brought it over at like 9pm across the 176 crossing, zero lineup at the border, nor in the services office.

I might have over prepared, as I accumulated all the stuff + the 'nice to haves' just in case as I was really worried about not having the title to the trailer.

76t7

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 11:28:16 AM »

look up porta bote
comes in 8 10 12 and 14 foot sizes
 folds to 4 inches wide
 will fit on any rooftop carrier
made of ballistic plastic, kind of like Kevlar
very portable and no problems with deflating
I have a 12 footer and love it

BananasQ

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »

look up porta bote
comes in 8 10 12 and 14 foot sizes
 folds to 4 inches wide
 will fit on any rooftop carrier
made of ballistic plastic, kind of like Kevlar
very portable and no problems with deflating
I have a 12 footer and love it

Very interesting! Are you able to put downriggers or rod holders on it?

76t7

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 01:08:20 PM »

yes to both
I've seen pictures online
there is a dealer called Maple Marine that sells them
they are located on the Langley bypass by Bunsmaster
and they sometimes come up on Craigslist
I believe that they have been  made in California for about 40 years
with about about 150,000 being built so far
there are various videos on youtube and you can check out their site at
porta-bote.com

BananasQ

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 02:06:33 PM »

Thanks 76t7 - I am going to go check those out.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »

I believe Porte Boats are made of polypropylene. An inflatable of equivalent length is much more stable and will carry far more payload and a bigger outboard.

But Porte Boats are not inflatable and that's means they won't leak air. They've been around for years and are a proven design.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ShaunO

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 01:52:15 PM »

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/5476102632.html

This is a great used Zodiac brand boat made from hypalon.  I have this model myself and I love it. 

I'm considering buying this one but I know the wife will kill me if I do...

sbc hris

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 08:36:47 AM »

Zodiac's haven't been hypalon for a looong time. That one is actually my buddies boat. He got it from my parents. I'm 90% sure it's PVC...

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 09:27:56 AM »

You are Mayor of Wrongville, wrong.

Zodiacs have different product lines as well as options to buy the same boat in different materials.  Many of which are Hypalon™-Neoprene™ fabric.

sbc hris

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 10:02:47 AM »

Alright, guess I'm wrong then. I'd just advise anyone buying an inflatable to research the particular model they're interested in before assuming that it's made out of a particular material.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 10:50:05 AM »

Here's how I see it.
For the occasional user, a PVC boat such as the Aquamarine is just fine. For the frequent user, a hypalon boat is the way to go.

Hypalon is somewhat sturdier and much lighter, but PVC is much cheaper. Other than that, there is not much about it.

I am on my second Aquamarine 10-footer. The first one gave up the transom after six years of use. It was my mistake, I stored it for the winter without drying it out thoroughly and the transom rotted. Repairing the transom would have cost me the same as getting a new boat from Aquamarine.

The reason I recommend Aquamarine boats is Michael, the owner of the business and his extraordinary customer service. Plus, it is a local company (Richmond) and the price to quality ratio is just right. The new red and black Aquamarine boat which is already set up for fishing looks amazing. Sure beats having to pimp it yourself.

Good luck in deciding. Buying a boat is always a nice adventure. :)

sbc hris

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 11:03:03 AM »

I think you summed it up perfectly Milo. My last boat was PVC, and well over 20 years old when I retired it this year. It was very well made, but the seams were starting to come undone pretty easily, and the valves were a little leaky, so it was time for an upgrade. I have heard some questionable things about the aquamarine boats, especially regarding the transoms coming apart. My friend has had one for a few years, and has a had a few problems with his, including a broken seat, and a transom issue of some kind. The fishing specific model looks pretty slick though  8)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »

I think you summed it up perfectly Milo. My last boat was PVC, and well over 20 years old when I retired it this year. It was very well made, but the seams were starting to come undone pretty easily, and the valves were a little leaky, so it was time for an upgrade. I have heard some questionable things about the aquamarine boats, especially regarding the transoms coming apart. My friend has had one for a few years, and has a had a few problems with his, including a broken seat, and a transom issue of some kind. The fishing specific model looks pretty slick though  8)

The first Aquamarine models (2005-2008) did indeed have issues with breaking seats and weak transom. Over the years, Aquamarine listened and sorted things out and made a bunch of improvements on their boats.
My second boat (bought in 2012) is problem-free so far.
I believe their new red and black fishing model fills a nice void in the local inflatable market. If I was looking for a 1-2 man inflatable fishing craft, that would be it.

Tangles

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 02:14:08 PM »

So I started calling around and all those CL offers you guys recommended me are now either sold or pending sale already LOL
It's the power of the internet  8) I'll just keep looking and I'll let you know how it goes :)