Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smallmouth and largemouth bass in bc?  (Read 4818 times)

fishnjim

smallmouth and largemouth bass in bc?
« on: March 11, 2016, 08:49:14 PM »

I am thinking of trying my luck this year for Bass.  I am based out of he Thompson Okanagon.  What areas have smallmouth and what areas have largemouth?  And what are the differences to tell them apart?

I hear many sloughs on the lower mainland have them, are these smallmouths? or largemouths?  what about say Skaha Lake and Osoyyos Lake?

I would like o catch one of each if it is possible to do here

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: smallmouth and largemouth bass in bc?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 10:01:34 PM »

If you're looking for bass, you're sitting in the place to be. No smallies out in the mainland but there's plenty where you are. Skaha is great for them, and I have caught them in the Okanagan Channel plenty of times. Vaseux Lake is also one of the lakes that is really well known for it's bass fishing.

fishnjim

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 10:40:59 PM »

thx man!

so most bass on mainland are largies?  and I have heard in Skaha and area are smallies?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 08:14:44 AM »

Only largemouth in the lower mainland. A few lakes around Osoyoos have both small mouth and largemouth like Vaseux.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 09:26:20 AM »

there are also smallmouth VanIsle - plus in the Kootenay's - Christina Lake, Pend Orielle River and other waters  along the border. Large mouth are also present in many of the same areas. I have in the past enjoyed excellent Large Mouth fishing in Duck Lake north of Creston.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Schenley

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 07:55:11 PM »

Both large and smallies on the rock....  Many years ago Spider lake near Qualicum gave up a 9lb small mouth. Close to a record. Elk lake near Victoria has both smalls and largemouths-- you just have to compete with the rowers!  8)  Lots of other lakes with bass there too.  Check with the Fresh Water Fisheries Society if you need more info.