Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whonnock Lake  (Read 3928 times)

FishOn36

Whonnock Lake
« on: May 02, 2015, 12:37:54 PM »

Just wondering if any of you guys have been to Whonnock lake lately? Thinking of taking the girlfriend out there in the inflatable, to hopefully catch something cause she's never been fishing before. Are the crappies biting around this time of year? And has the lake been stocked lately?

thanks!

wizard

Re: Whonnock Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »

Just go, what's the worse that will happen?  you don't catch anything but have an enjoyable day out with your gf?

There will always be small crappies around the shoreline and lily pads which are popping up everywhere right now. 
I'd suggest casting a small leach type fly or anything buggy, or a small chironomid under a float either with a light fly rod or light spincast.

Capt. jack

• fishing on piers bc
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »

#10 pumpkin heads work well there, I've had good results with leech pattern with a bit of red.
"What? Every body knows I drink coffee when I watch sonar"

FishOn36

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 01:42:01 AM »

Went out today, had one bite on chartreuse crappie jig/float combo... Drowning worms didn't produce at all. Overheard a guy who was fly fishing saying that he caught four fish along the shoreline, on a floating line. There was a lot of fish surfacing, taking stuff off the top of the water. 

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 08:27:22 AM »

Stripping leaches works wonders in there.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:45:06 AM »

there can be nice chironomid hatches and even dry fly fishing on nice sunny days with a good breeze.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chomperman

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:32:35 PM »

I have been learning lots from everyone's posts and reports so here goes.  Fished whonnock on sat between noon and 3 and brought a sounder. Schools of fish in the 8 to 9 meter water column but couldn't get them to bite. Was targeting trout and was jigging with bait and a small spoon. Well try again in a few weeks.