Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho in Lafarge Lake????  (Read 13533 times)

Britguy

• Old Timer
Re: Coho in Lafarge Lake????
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »

did I miss something here
ey, was at Lafarge on saturday and I saw 2 dead Chum on the side closest to Pinetree.
Chum! where did they come from? certainly no chum in Lafarge lake :-\
Now I know we had a bit of rain but the rivers did not get that high :D

Shawn6o4

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »

did I miss something hereChum! where did they come from? certainly no chum in Lafarge lake :-\
Now I know we had a bit of rain but the rivers did not get that high :D

The waters indeed did get high enough, seen a few of these lafarge lake chum washed up on shore myself. I wonder how hit the return will be?  ;D

Quin

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »

Here's a link to a video for landlocked coho i.d.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY7XxDwWZcU

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 10:10:59 PM »

Was fishing there today for trout and noticed a smell and was Suprised to see a dead chum on the bank

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 11:11:34 PM »

Coho can also be found in Rice Lake.  Unfortunately most people (and neither did I until a year ago) don't recognize them and keep them.  Not sure if they are land locked or not.  I presume not because they are never very big.  People have speculated that they are an excess or accidental cross stock, but they do not have the same wear patterns on the tail fins that stocked fish have.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »

Might bring some roe to rice this week :P

Tylsie

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 11:04:55 AM »

Coho can also be found in Rice Lake.  Unfortunately most people (and neither did I until a year ago) don't recognize them and keep them. ...

Not to pick on you Knnn because I wouldn't of thought there were Coho in Rice either, but I think that is the problem. The only place I can find mention of Coho being in these lakes is in this thread. Unlike Kawkawa where it is clear in the regs, in signs and all over online. These lakes are promoted as places to go and learn about fishing, to take kids fishing, and develop a basic understanding of what is involved. Yes, identifying fish is part of fishing, but when you go to websites such as GofishBC and under species present it only lists Catchable size Rainbow Trout most people will not look for Coho let alone a beginner.

In my opinion they should up the place the information in the regs, and up the signage at these lakes.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »

So is it presumed that that dead chum swam into Lafarge on their own?

Although I have fished the lake many times, I checked the City of Coquitlam's watershed map to confirm that their is no natural drainage from the lake. Remember it is an old gravel pit... Typically water flows into these, not out. However, I do recall that there is a overflow/storm drain in the SE corner of the lake, which I presume leads to a trib of the Coquitlam River (maybe Maple Creek?).

So is the thinking that the chum salmon migrated up a Coquitlam River trib and then through the underground storm water system to the lake.  If I recall, the overflow infrastructure at the lake is heavily screened off so there if no easy way for a salmon to make the transition from storm water system to open lake...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 12:18:24 PM »

why would Federal Regs apply to landlocked coho when they do not apply to kokanee? I sort of think the Feds don't have jurisdiction over Pacific Salmon that are not anadromous. It would be interesting to see how this would be interpreted in court or otherwise.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hrenya

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »

Not to pick on you Knnn because I wouldn't of thought there were Coho in Rice either, but I think that is the problem. The only place I can find mention of Coho being in these lakes is in this thread. Unlike Kawkawa where it is clear in the regs, in signs and all over online. These lakes are promoted as places to go and learn about fishing, to take kids fishing, and develop a basic understanding of what is involved. Yes, identifying fish is part of fishing, but when you go to websites such as GofishBC and under species present it only lists Catchable size Rainbow Trout most people will not look for Coho let alone a beginner.

In my opinion they should up the place the information in the regs, and up the signage at these lakes.

don't need to pick on him , I can confirm his words , there is coho in rice lake .

hrenya

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »

Here's a link to a video for landlocked coho i.d.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY7XxDwWZcU

37 seconds out of the water ) is you not supposed to keep them , I wonder what happened after ?  c&r ? :)

Quin

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 02:28:17 PM »

hrenya

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 07:10:22 PM »

How did the chum cross the road ??  ;D  ::)

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/chum/graphics/seattle_times_chum.jpg

Sliding on hormones.
Wouldn't you cross the road if a willing doe were waiting for you to play with her on the other side? ;)

Tylsie

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 09:07:28 PM »

don't need to pick on him , I can confirm his words , there is coho in rice lake .

Didn't think I was. I don't doubt that there are coho there. I do however think that for lakes such as Rice and Lafarge that are specifically promoted as places to learn to fish, and as catch and keep fisheries they should promote the fact that the Coho are there. It would allow people to be able to identify them and reduce the amount taken. If I was learning to fish, and I was everywhere I looked the only mention I could find was rainbow trout if I caught another salmonid I could very likely conclude it is a different strain of rainbow trout.