Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho in Lafarge Lake????  (Read 13533 times)

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
Coho in Lafarge Lake????
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »

Hey, was at Lafarge on saturday and I saw 2 dead Chum on the side closest to Pinetree. Also when I was fishing, I caught a few fish that were not rainbow trout(I wish I took a pic), but they were very shiny and almost looked like a small Coho. The meat was really red after I fillet them at home. After looking it up, I thought maybe they were small cohos because the tongues were black with white gums. BUT HOW? is there a connection to the coquitlam river at Lafarge Lake? or does anybody know what kind of fish it could of been? Have you caught one like that there?

Description: Shiny, couple of spots around the fork of the tail, white mouth, black tongue, more slenderish head.

Thanks!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Coho in Lafarge Lake????
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »

Those are landlocked coho salmon and you actually can't retain those.

Salmon, both adult spawners and juveniles, find their way into Lafarge Lake from Coquitlam River during rainy days when the connecting drains and creeks are flooded.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »

Oh shoot, thanks for the info Rodney, I'll make sure not to retain those next time :-[

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »

Best advice I can give you is that if you are not 100% sure what the species is that you are catching and about to retain please release it safely back into the water.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Shawn6o4

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:57:44 PM »

Are there other lakes around here with land locked coho? Never encountered one. Are they all catch and release and why? Thanks

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »

Are they all catch and release and why? Thanks

Unless stated in regional tables, daily limit is zero for salmon.
Lafarge Lake is not stated in the Region 2 table.
Thats the way regulation is set up for salmon.

rickjames_2

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »

Best advice I can give you is that if you are not 100% sure what the species is that you are catching and about to retain please release it safely back into the water.

X2 Next time just take Geff's advice.

Are there other lakes around here with land locked coho? Never encountered one. Are they all catch and release and why? Thanks

I have caught and released lots of these landlocked Coho at Kawkawa Lake. I don't personally know of any lakes where you are allowed to retain them.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 01:03:23 AM »

They are not allowed to be retained for several reasons. To start with, the length of just about all landlocked coho salmon does not exceed the minimum length requirement (25cm). They are also mostly wild. Unlike kokanee, landlocked coho salmon are not managed as a separate species. Finally, we know very little about the biology of these fish. Are they exclusively landlocked or will start the migration after a couple of years if given the chance?

Shawn6o4

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 09:20:42 AM »

Thanks rod! That's exactly what I wanted to know

Nucks

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:49:51 AM »

or does anybody know what kind of fish it could of been?

Thanks!
Well done  ???
This in a nutshell if a classic example of where the state of fishing is at in the lower mainland  :-\

Get to know your regulations and understand fish identification BEFORE you go fishing.

1son

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »

Well done  ???
This in a nutshell if a classic example of where the state of fishing is at in the lower mainland  :-\

Get to know your regulations and understand fish identification BEFORE you go fishing.

Agreed quite sad I tell ya >:(

noobfisher

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 08:21:15 PM »

Agreed quite sad I tell ya >:(

X 2, between this and all the snagging on the vedder .... it's depressing. :-[

bcguy

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »

Well done  ???
This in a nutshell if a classic example of where the state of fishing is at in the lower mainland  :-\

At least he is asking to gain knowledge, and now understands, which is much better than some other individuals who knowingly practice poor fishing techniques, and knowingly pass these practices on to others. Just my 2 cents...
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Nucks

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »

You're absolutely right and I'm trying to educate him and others :). The key is gaining this type of knowledge before hand. Certain things you can learn along the way but there are also other things that should be prepped ahead of time. In my opinion, this is one of those cases.

The pics and identification of all species is in the paper form of the regs, the internet version, and you can even get those plasticized tags with photos and points about each species that you can clip onto your vest for a quick reference. It's all out there, one just has to do their homework ahead of time. Instead of posting on an online forum, he could have dug up the information himself. I think Rod even has fish ID on this webpage somewhere. In fact, I know he does. Heck, a quick google could have worked too.

We can't really do much about the people that choose "poor fishing techniques". We have highly paid officials to do that for us  ::)

Hopefully other newbies have read this thread and gained some knowledge  :)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:02:06 PM by Nucks »

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »

I think Rod even has fish ID on this webpage somewhere. In fact, I know he does. Heck, a quick google could have worked too.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fish_profile/index.html