Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hicks Lake  (Read 8121 times)

Speyfitter

Re: Hicks Lake
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 06:24:28 AM »

You were probably trolling to fast. What I have found works best in that lake is to motor just of the Island and then do a wind drift with a moderate sink line. Lots of Kokanee in that lake. Flies that have worked for me are: black Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, standard black Chironomid, and tan Chromed.

Is there really Kokanee in Hicks? I had no idea...

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »

i was trolling a fordfender and a wedding band. this was april 11th.  10 inch leader with the wedding band and i caught and released countless fish. trolled between the islands and to the opposite side of the lake from the boat launch. shaded areas near cliff paid off big time. doc spratley also worked #8 size
Tight lines to all

Davidp

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »

that sounds likes its picked up since iv been there last which was a week ago water was at 39 degress in some spots fish wernt active, but with the recent sunshine should be good to try it out this weekend...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »

Is there really Kokanee in Hicks? I had no idea...

It was stocked with kokanee years back but I don't think they are native. I haven't caught one out of there but I have only fished it a few times in the last 5 years.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »

Did not fish hicks but hit deer this weekend and fishing was awesome! constant action all day.... majority if the fish were really small with some in the 12 - 14 inch range... stiill fun none the less

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »

try slowly trolling leaches 10-20 feet off the rock cliffs near the other side of the lake. Last year doing this me and my dad caught about 50 rainbows in a weekend most of them coming from that spot. Most the fish are small being under 12" but there was a few big ones hitting the 18" mark. Trolling shiny yellow shrimp flies was killer also, chromids off the shore along the rocks produced to but not as much.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Davidp

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »

fished hicks saturday morning it was way to windy ended up leaving an hour in without a nibble hit up lake errock and did realy well mind you the water was 48 at hicks and 55 at errock so that may be the reason