Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stoney Creek, Burnaby Salmon  (Read 11648 times)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Stoney Creek, Burnaby Salmon
« on: December 06, 2004, 05:14:52 PM »

Just saw on BCTV news a story about Stoney Creek in Burnaby. First time in 1/2 a century fish are returning there. Sad news, it's believed that local high school students are angling in it and throwing rocks at the spawning fish. DFO has them on video. Hopefully the punks get what they deserve!!!!! >:(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 07:37:00 PM by Trout Slayer »

blueback

Re: Stoney Creek, Burnaby Salmon
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 07:56:08 PM »

I guess it must be alot easier for DFO to show up and police a little creek under the Loughheed than it is to be out on the Fraser or Cheddar policing poachers who'er snagging steelies or driftnetting hundreds of fish at a time? ::)Not that all these fish aren't important.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 08:05:02 PM »

i heard that on the way to work this morning........pissed me right off that a bunch of kids would do this sort of thing. on  a positive side it just goes to show if you give nature a chance to it will succeed.....salmon after so many years is good news.

d_w

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 08:31:20 PM »

Also saw it on the news, To see what kids will do just because there friends are doing it, it makes me even more sick to see that they where throwing "firecrackers" at the fish. they where saying max: $100.000 fine or 6 months in jail. that probably wont happen, itll probably pass buy them.

Education on fish biology in that school would help if they do not already have it, and if they do its not helping
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 08:59:09 PM »

These guys need to learn to be more productive in life...blowing stuff up, and throwing rocks doesn't really accomplish much.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 09:06:39 PM »

Hope it was on the 6 news as well as I taped it and have not had a opportunity to watch it yet.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 09:56:44 PM »

Too disappointing and shocking, goes to show that there are still too many uneducated bad mannered individuals (young or old) on this planet.

Stoney Creek is one of the few really successful stories in urban stream enhancement programs. Stoney Creek Environmental Committee has worked hard to revive the stream with the help of Shappeton Fish and Games Club and FOC.

These groups have not only done good for the stream, but also the community around it. They've created this stewardship between the local residents and the stream. Each year, the organization puts on the Great Salmon Send-off. During the event, kids are given coho fries to release into the stream. You can also obtain lots of information regarding urban stream and ways to keep our waterways clean.

The last two years we have been offering information and fly tying activities during the event, which is really enjoyable. I think we'll probably do it again next year. :)

Bantam_50

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 10:04:28 PM »

Just saw on BCTV news a story about Stoney Creek in Burnaby. First time in 1/2 a century fish are returning there. Sad news, it's believed that local high school students are angling in it and throwing rocks at the spawning fish. DFO has them on video. Hopefully the punks get what they deserve!!!!! >:(

Sorry to correct you Slayer, but it hasn't been 1/2 a century. The Sapperton Club had coho coming back in Stoney in the 80's. These were returns from the inaugural Stoney creek Coho smolt release that has been on-going since. After the first year of returns, the club, working with DFO, installed a holding box for brood stock on the west bank just below the new foot path bridge to the school. Guess what became of it. You guessed it. After 2 weekends the local punks found it, smashed open the locks on the lids and filled it with everything that wasn't anchored down. So everyone understands, this holding box was buried in the ground so that only the lid was visible. Tough lesson learned and one of many obsticals the club has had to endure in trying to rebuild this watershed.

My advise, all those caught should be made to do X amount of hrs. community work, including helping out with the 2005 fish release. And fine the parents. It's a shame when you have so many enthusiastic kids from Stoney Creek school putting in the effort for a few to spoil.

EDUCATION while they're young is the best remedy.

How many here know that there's a mini hatchery for broodstock holding, egg takes, incubation and rearing  of fish taken from the Brunette system? And it's right close to the Brunette itself.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 10:14:50 PM »

Sorry to correct you Slayer, but it hasn't been 1/2 a century.
No problem, I was just listening to what the reporters say. :)

Bantam_50

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 10:16:30 PM »

Yes Rod the Great Salmon Send Off was the birth of the Stoney Creek Environmental Committee. I haven't attended the last few years due to other committments, but I sat on the initial board as the clubs rep in helping them in the transition phase of taking over the release. It was great to see  a communtiy come together a be the Stewdards of the Stoney Creek Watershed.

Bantam_50

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 10:19:32 PM »

Sorry to correct you Slayer, but it hasn't been 1/2 a century.
No problem, I was just listening to what the reporters say. :)

LOL...n/p ...You know what a reporter would be like coming back from angling and posting a report. It was Thhhhiiiissss Biiiigggg!.  :P

With Chris being an exception mind you.  ;)

Joe Fish

• Here fishy, fishy!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 11:26:58 PM »

Just to give you guys an update - correct some information.  I teach at Burnaby Mountain Secondary, and we are currently at about 1300 students.  It seems the total number of offenders is about 15 or 16, but we still have not determined if this means 16 separate, different individuals, or some repeat offenders caught on tape by DFO more than once.  Also, BCTV is slow to the party.  We had DFO and a rep from the city of Burnaby in last week to give a talk to our student body in two separate assemblies (about half the school at one time) on Wednesday, Dec. 1st.  CTV News Channel 9 reported on this on their evening news that same day.  None of the students are charged yet, as DFO is still investigating, and I'm sure that due process has to be followed.  I'm shocked and disappointed by the actions of these students, who appear to be senior students (Grade 12's) and wonder what they were thinking, but since last week I don't think any more incidents have occurred.  Also, DFO was not staking out the creek instead of being on the Fraser or Vedder - instead some local residents observed the kids, took photos and called in DFO, who then got involved.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 11:31:29 PM »

If I heard right this morning on radio, two kids were sentenced to community work (not sure how many hours). Not sure what they will make them do. The radio said that two more kids are under investigation. I hope I understood right, as I do not want to inform you wrongly, so if anybody heard news this morning, please comment.

There will always be kids/people who do such things. It is very difficult to educate everybody and it is a non stop process that starts from homes, goes through school, society, ... I do not understand what makes people hurt animals or other people, but I do know that I have learned a lot from my home, school, and usually been "taught" wrongly on the street by "friends".

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 11:40:03 PM »

holy cupcakes i just saw it on TV today. Did I hear the fine was $100,000 or 6 months in prison? I sure as hell did man those kids are fucked....now im scared to bonk my next fish.
The Bigger The Better!

fisherkingnigel

• Fishing is a passion...without it what would i do?
    • Tsurishop Japan-Authentic Japanese Fishing Tackle
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 07:37:04 AM »

what day was it on BCTV? I wanna watch it on the net!

Nigelman