Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does a rod make you a better angler???  (Read 9407 times)

mooha

• I'm a llama!
Re: Does a rod make you a better angler???
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 10:25:15 AM »

Gotta go with the better gear theory. No, I don't own a tackle store. Who wants to stand/sit around in the cold and wet without proper jacket? Gloves? Waders? I can barely stand it as it is.

Fishing rods? Half is being familar but, casting further can't hurt too, esp flyfishing. (Ya I love my Sage!)

On the other hand, I have seen old timers out fish everyone with a piece of bamboo and string ( literally)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 10:57:53 AM »

A better quality rod is much easier to fish with.
The less effort one expends casting/retrieving the more energy one has to devote to reading the water and all the rest.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 12:03:58 PM »

No matter which company it is;Sage, loomis, fenwick,dragonfly, Protect, Shimano.... rod is a rod, reel is a reel, they all do one thing in common- help a fisherman to catch fish.  It is your gear, the gear that you fish with  for hours and days. If fishing is the sport that you enjoy, and if you have the money, why not go for the best.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 02:32:52 PM »

Keithr, just curious about the Mexican outfit.  Never stop learning! So they do not fish with a rod, right?  Just using the 75 ft line as a hand line fishing from a boat?  Or, do they do it like some of the catfish fishermen in the states - hang the line down from a long can which acts as a float, and which lies down on the top of the water, and when the can stands up due to the weight of a fish, fishermen know they have a catch. I am going to Hawaii soon, so may as well learn a handy tropical fishing trick.  ;D ;D ;D

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2004, 04:37:16 PM »

funfish (#21):  you use the bottle with the line wrapped around it like an open faced spinning reel.  To cast, you swing the bait and weight around a little and fling it out in the river, and the line goes off the bottle just like it would from an open faced spinning reel with the bail open.  To bring it back in you just wind it back around the bottle.

This is pretty low class, or no class, fishing; but it is effective, and you can feel even the lightest nibble because you are holding the line in your hand.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2004, 05:44:47 PM »

Thanks.  I will get my Coke bottle ready there.  The tackle stores should now put their spining outfits on clearance or liquidation.  Great recycle tips. ;D ;D

Joe Fish

• Here fishy, fishy!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2004, 11:32:04 PM »

I think it matters only to a certain extent.  After all, the reel's more important IMHO. Like the saying goes, it's not the equipment that's to blame, it's always how the operator uses it. :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 02:13:55 AM »

The rods certainly have an effect on one's fishing day... but, one also needs to know how to use it properly to make the best ouf of the tool.

When we do our kids fishing camp, we have been using rods and reels that are slightly better than entry level. Reasons:

1) Better reels, less birdnests, less work for us.

2) Better rods, more durable, less replacement.

3) Better floats, detect those small bites more quickly, more fish. :D