Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Base layer question  (Read 5928 times)

mko72

Base layer question
« on: September 28, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »

Hi all, going to try out breathable waders for the first time tomorrow and they are NOT insulated. 

What are you thoughts on base layers?  Jeans? Long Underwear? sweat pants?  I don't own micro-fleece "wading" pants either.

Thanks!

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Base layer question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »

Fleece or wool is best. They will keep you warm, and help wick moisture away from your skin.

I wear fleece pajama pants, or wool stanfield bottoms or both depending on the temperature expected.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »

Marks Work Warehouse has a really nice base layer set of Merino Wool bottoms and long sleeve top, but they are 50 or 60 bucks a piece. I have a set of Stanfields that are 30% Merino, but they are cold in Winter. I need to get that set, or find some fleece.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

mvelasco

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:51 PM »

my layering for this time of year is: columbia omni heat light baselayer and my simms rogue hoody. bottoms are long johns and fleece bottoms.
winter is the same but add a fleece top and instead of my hoody its a wading jacket.
 that omni heat baselayer is so versatile that if it goes from really brisk to hot(like last week) it will adjust accordingly.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 10:59:18 PM »

Patagonia merino wool from mountain equipment co-op. Good stuff, keeps me warm even on those cold days steelheading.

Suther

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 11:02:31 PM »

Wool is warm even when wet. That can't be said about a lot of fabrics.

Animal Chin

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 11:47:44 PM »

Wool and fleece will keep you warm when wet. Merino wool is the gold standard but you're going to pay for it. Mountain Equipment Co-op or maybe Marks is your best bet. I bought some mid-weight fleece pants at MEC for $25 (Watchtower line.. I think) and they are excellent.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 12:01:55 AM »

Never ever cotton, once wet, its worse than nothing at all.  Fleece is ok, but stinks (wash every day if against skin).  Wool is best, merino itches the least.

Suther

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 12:46:58 AM »

Fleece is made out of 100% PET - The same plastic that pop bottles are made out of...

So Fleece is either recycled, recyclable, or both. Interesting....
Also, Fleece was specifically designed to mimic the properties of wool while avoiding the itchyness, and this it does a very good job of. Fleece also absorbs very little water which allows it to still be warm while wet, and is also highly breathable and quick to dry.

If lightweight is ideal, fleece is a damn good choice.

If heat is the number-one factor you want, you can't beat some quality wool though.

fishtruck

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »

I bought some Merino top and bottoms from Costco for around $20-25. Stayed warm steelheading last year at -6 degrees.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 10:50:54 AM »

Filson's Merino Wool - based out of Seattle.  Very high quality material and super soft - I love them!  Be careful with some other types of Merino Wool because I've found not as good quality as Filsons (Mec for instance)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »

I've done LOTS of experimenting, and I'm pretty confident about this plan for wearing under breathable waders:

Moderate temperatures: merino wool long johns
Cool temperatures: fleece pants
Cold temperatures: merino wool long johns with fleece pants over top

Merino wool is my favourite base layer - nothing else compares IMO.  Icebreaker is the best quality I've found, but you pay for that quality.  A pair of long johns or a long sleeved shirt will set you back upwards of $80.

Note that fit is important when it comes to base layers.  You want them to fit close/snug to your skin, but not so tight that you're cutting off circulation.

Fleece pants can be bought almost anywhere, and though not all are created equal, IMO you don't need to spend a ton of dough to get similar benefits. 

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 01:07:30 PM »

I bought some Merino top and bottoms from Costco for around $20-25. Stayed warm steelheading last year at -6 degrees.

X2 - for the price they are very good!  They are not the high end, but like I said; dollar to warmth, a good bet.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:09:45 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »

I bought some Merino top and bottoms from Costco for around $20-25

X3, i have two pairs of their bottoms and three of the tops, black, blue and the new grey w/red stitching they have in stock now.

I wear these against my skin, then a fleece sweater and some lined track pants, then my shell jacket and waders.

MoeJKU

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »

Sitka Gear.

Traverse bottom- for pants
Traverse hoody - for upper later.

These double for me with hunting.

Then wool socks.
and you will be fine and have lots of mobility.