Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vest, Fanny Pack or Back Pack...  (Read 7378 times)

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
Vest, Fanny Pack or Back Pack...
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »

My back pack that I use to carry my fishing gear in just kicked the bucket so i'm in the market for another one. But what to get... should I go for a Vest to pack my gear (that's how my dad does it), a new back pack (that's what i'm leaning towards) or a fanny pack? What does everyone else do or suggest?
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

mzmann

Re: Vest, Fanny Pack or Back Pack...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »

Personal preference really.....but myself I like either the vest or the pack depending on how long i'm out for/if I want to bring snacks, camera, etc, etc.......I highly recommend checking out these and especially their "Tech Pack" line up for both vests and packs!!........ http://www.fishpondusa.com/packs.cfm
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

deepcovehooker

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »

I have three vests one for fly, one for float fishing and one for salt water fishing.  However in the winter I use a pioneer jacket with a significant number of zippered and velcro pockets.  Tried a fanny pack and it would not hold enough gear for a day on the water. and 

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »

personally i hate fanny packs, they get in the way when fishing and everything gets soaked when crossing. back packs are okay but a bit of a pain as you always have to take it off to change up and rerig, also  a backpack has lots of room so youll find yourself carrying more crap then youll ever need. i use a vest when im fly fishing for trout in summer but in winter it gets wet fast and can be unpleasent and tight oveer all your clothes. i personally wear a wading jacket which holds all my gear and still has extra pockets plus hand warmers  :) i also have another thinner wading jacket with less pockets for flyfishing or warmer weather fishing. my wading jacket is the amundson top touch.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:22:11 PM »

Love the Fishpond Vests. Personally, if I was gonna blow money on one, Id go for this one simply for the options. Just because you can load it up, doesnt mean you have to. Also, its comfy as hell! Tried it one a while back.

Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

mistermongz

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:25:15 PM »

i use a fanny pack but i do have a wading jacket that fits pretty much everything i need so...
Fish on!!!

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:18:19 AM »

Shoulder strap bag is the way I roll, I now use the simms, waterproof model, LOVE it.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/dry_creek_chest_hip_pack.html

thats the one but mine has a shoulder strap and thats all I use, but the waist strap is good for those who like to keep it tight to the body.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

brysonk

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 02:54:24 AM »

Between my wader pockets and wading jacket I find I have more than enough room for all my gear. If I'm switching between the pin and my fly rod I just swap out a couple boxes and I'm good to go. A good wading jacket is the way to go but can be expensive. If you're on a budget the amundson jacket noted earlier is on sale at wholesale sports for 119.99 which is a pretty good deal. Not sure of the quality as I own a simms but for the money it seems like a good jacket.

river walker

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 05:43:17 AM »

I fished with a vest for 20+ years and I just switched to a pack made by Simms that can go around your waist or be used as a sling pack .
I quite like it so far, an I find my back is not sore. Should have switched years ago
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »

Personal preference. For me it depends on weather, how long I am fishing for, and what I am targetting. In the fall, when I am gone for long periods of time and I want to carry food, water and gear (and fish!) I go with a vest. 

When I am fishing the beaches in the summer for a couple of hours, it is warm out and I am carrying minimal gear, I go with this pack.
http://www.williamjoseph.net/products/product_1.aspx  Works well slung over my side and worn on the hip. Love the magnetic closure.

Animal Chin

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 11:53:03 AM »

I was in the same boat. Backpacks fit a lot but were just a real pain. I've yet to put it into practice though, but after much deliberation,  I "figure" a shoulder bag/sling pack is the way to go. It's more comfortable, easy to access and tie stuff whilst standing etc. Also, would still work if I was to use some sort of floatation device somewhere down the line.

This is what I was thinking of and seems to be very popular, Orvis Safe Passage Sling $69USD :

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3H6P

This is what I ended up buying and will see how it goes, MEC travel bag $19 :

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/TopSellers/PRD~4004-126/mec-small-carry-all-shoulder-bag.jsp

or their smaller size

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/TopSellers/PRD~4009-377/mec-travel-all-shoulder-bag.jsp

I only float fish and being my first season trying out steelheading, I figure the more efficient and organize I am out there, the better. I also plan to get some sort of ATSKO waterproof spray (I have some for waterproof breathable fabric and it works super well), and maybe seam sealer and make the bag completely waterproof, or at least so most of the water will bead off.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I went and bought a cheap back pack just to tie me over til I can save up some money to get a nice wading jacket. The backpackwas only $25 so its not a big deal, plus its waterproof so it'll be good for any season.

Thanks again y'all. :)
Peace. One. Jewelz.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »

I fished with a vest for 20+ years and I just switched to a pack made by Simms that can go around your waist or be used as a sling pack .
I quite like it so far, an I find my back is not sore. Should have switched years ago

Where did you find this pack made by Simms and was it expensive? I am looking at switching from a vest to something else because of my back injury.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »

Peace. One. Jewelz.

buckjr

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 08:07:17 PM »

Simms waist packs are great.