Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coquitlam River Question  (Read 20240 times)

Bavarian Raven

Coquitlam River Question
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:54:49 AM »

was walking by the coquitlam river today, i noticed that there were NO salmon that I could see in the river (though to be fair i didnt walk more then a half a kilometer along the east side of the river). usually the chums are swarming up there at this time of year. or is it still early? or has something happened? has anyone else noticed this? i am just asking for curiosity sake. :) thanks for your replies.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Coquitlam River Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:02:21 AM »

The Coquitlam has suffered from poor chum runs the past few years, and they are now getting a return of Springs. Who knows how the Coho will fair. My larger concern is the massive amounts of people fishing the river in comparison to previous years. Since when did the Coquitlam because a "destination river"? Four cars parked at every run and pool. Seems like every guy and his dog within a 10 km radius is fishing the river now. It used to be a great river to waste a couple hours casting, alone. No chance of that now.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »

Dion, well said... i agree, it is a lot more heavily fished now  :-\, though to be fair i fish it 2 or 3 times a year with light tackle and line, for those large cutties. they sure do put up a good fight 8)

i thought those looked like springs (that i saw last year), but everyone was like, oh no, springs dont go up the coquitlam. ::) good to know.
ps, does anyone know if there are any pinks that go up the coquitlam? (just for curiosity sake)

mykisscrazy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 12:53:13 PM »

Since when did the Coquitlam because a "destination river"? Four cars parked at every run and pool. Seems like every guy and his dog within a 10 km radius is fishing the river now. It used to be a great river to waste a couple hours casting, alone. No chance of that now.

Must say I'm a little surprised with your comments. I expected that sort of thing from the general public but not a moderator.

When did it become a "destination river" - Just as you said , when one has a couple of hours to spare. These days in time who can spend more than a couple of hours on a stream?
There is still lots of room for people on the river... As long as they all are respectful.
I'll lay odds the same can be said about a whole bunch of other smaller streams in the Lower Mainland.

The more people on these rivers is a good thing as they are the eyes and hopefully report things when they see them....illegal fishing, soap suds, oil slicks, unleashed dogs chassing and pulling fish out...the list goes on

mykisscrazy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:54:51 PM »

Yes a small number of pinks use the river. For a few years now the chehalis hatchery along with other dfo groups have been planting pinks into quite a few streams on the north side of the fraser

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 01:08:16 PM »

People wil disappear if no retention of any fish from this poor urban river wasted by urban development.  ;)

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »

i grew up fishing the coquitlam and from what i have seen the last couple of years the chum count is way down particularly this year,as for the fishing pressure there has allways been pressure at some of the easier access holes and most fisherman frequent the areas above kingsway up to the doctors pooland hatchery area,there has allways been some pressure in these areas but from what i have seen it really isn't much more than usuall for this time of year,i fished the river three days this week and i didn't see a single fisherman any of the days,which pretty much is the norm in the area of river i usually fish.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

ChromeBar

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »

The snagging of the whiteys this year has reached an epic level.. it just disgusts me to see whats going on in there. I have no idea where all these people came from.. i live right on the river and 90% of the people out there this year I have never seen before... Mabey the internet??? I dont know. Very sad

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »

if you want to see snagging just go look under the kingsway bridge when the chums are in,this has been going on for years and there is no retention of chums but I'm sure that more than a few of them found their way into peoples freezers.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »

if you want to see snagging just go look under the kingsway bridge when the chums are in,this has been going on for years and there is no retention of chums but I'm sure that more than a few of them found their way into peoples freezers.

Happens on others rivers over by me too. I am glad that I have the CO's cell number on speed dial on my cell.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 09:04:19 AM »

The snagging of the whiteys this year has reached an epic level.. it just disgusts me to see whats going on in there. I have no idea where all these people came from.. i live right on the river and 90% of the people out there this year I have never seen before... Mabey the internet??? I dont know. Very sad

Check out how many views this topic has had in the last 24 hours close to 500 (at this time)
So I'm sure there will be a few extra fishers out there this weekend.

I used to live on the river in the 70's and there was snagging then too (not as prevalent as today however) they were easier to spot though, big barbed treble hooks,
but being teenagers with wrist rockets........

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »

Fishing pressure is at least double last year. Snagging, flossing whatever you want to call
 it... multiple calls and have yet to see a DFO officer  :-\ :'( This river does not need any
excess pressure. I don't think it needs more people on it for the attention, There are
enough wrongly identified fish killed as well as pounds upon pounds of garbage thrown
around carelessly.

So if it does not need more pressure does it mean you stopped fishing it? Every person fishing it adds pressure. Just bringing this topic up means more people on the river.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »

i headed to a local flow and it was a zoo, 14 cars/trucks parked along the roadside... was amazed i have fished it for years and have saw one other fisherman and i believe he is on this forum... the sport of fishing is growing rapidly and times of having a quite spot on a local flow is becoming the thing of that past...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »

Must say I'm a little surprised with your comments. I expected that sort of thing from the general public but not a moderator.

When did it become a "destination river" - Just as you said , when one has a couple of hours to spare. These days in time who can spend more than a couple of hours on a stream?
There is still lots of room for people on the river... As long as they all are respectful.
I'll lay odds the same can be said about a whole bunch of other smaller streams in the Lower Mainland.

The more people on these rivers is a good thing as they are the eyes and hopefully report things when they see them....illegal fishing, soap suds, oil slicks, unleashed dogs chassing and pulling fish out...the list goes on

Why are you surprised? Is a moderator not allowed to have an opinion? Keeping my mouth shut or my fingers in check wasn't part of the deal was it Rodney?

If you've fished the river regularly most your life like I have you might have a little different opinion. This system is ravaged by the two gravel mines that let their settling ponds discharge to the river when it rains. This excess silt suffocates the salmon and steelhead eggs in the river. Add on top of that the massive urban sprawl that has occurred over the past decade (that I've been conscious of it), which now includes a one thousand percent increase in population on Burke mountain (where I grew up). All this added population increases the water run-off that enters the river which carries with it all the containments that humans let run into storm drains. These 'extra' people are now those contributing to the added fishing pressure on the Coquitlam (so I suspect).

The Coquitlam has never had an especially strong run of any species of fish (for as long as I've fished it). All these added 'obstacles' we have caused the fish are not helping. The hatchery on the river has a minuscule budget, and is run by volunteers. More people fishing this river is NOT a good thing in this case. The fact is most of these new anglers I've seen fishing, are new to fishing in general. They have little idea of how to fish properly, how to handle fish gently, or how to clean up after themselves. Then there are those intentionally snagging. The main problem, in my opinion, is the retention of hatchery coho, and springs. This open retention has directly caused the mass increase of anglers on the river.

I realize that this thread will likely attract people to fish the Coquitlam, but I feel it is worth the 'risk' if I am able to educate a few people about the problems that this river faces. I personal have reduced the amount I fish the Coquitlam over the past few years because of both the amount of people that now fish it, and my realization of the affect an individual angler can have on the river.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 12:47:27 AM »

I realize that this thread will likely attract people to fish the Coquitlam, but I feel it is worth the 'risk' if I am able to educate a few people about the problems that this river faces.

IMO this is a very poor choice.Considering that this thread has been read more than 700 times. The fact is, more people than not will go fish this river now, plain and simple :-X. Like you said, everybody has an opinion........this is mine  >:(

p.s. As a moderator as well as an angler,did you think about the 700+ views, or just the hand full of maybe do gooders you MIGHT educate ::) ::)