Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Cleanup On The Vedder And The Fishings Hot  (Read 5364 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
River Cleanup On The Vedder And The Fishings Hot
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »

First Cleanup on the Chilliwack Vedder for 2009. Come out and try out your new fishing license before and after the cleanup. Reports of some good catchs the last few days so I have been told. We can store your fishing equipment while you are doing the cleanup.

Message below from Terry.

It's that time of year again. The Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition is holding its first cleanup for the 2009 year on SATURDAY, APRIL 4, 2009. Registration will take place at the GREAT BLUE HERON NATURE RESERVE from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. We anticipate the activity will be completed by noon.

As usual, coffee and donuts will be available at registration complements of Tim Horton's.
  We are making a positive difference in this important recreational area and our aim is to ensure that this area is well looked after.

Thanks again. We look forward to your continued support. This support is much appreciated.

milo

• Old Timer
Re: River Cleanup On The Vedder And The Fishings Hot
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »

I'll be there as usual.
I'll be wearing my waders, ready for some "advanced garbage extraction" operation.  ;D

speycaster

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:43:10 PM »

Maybe next year Chris, final cleanup on our house in White Rock. Then take every thing left over to Grand Forks. Took seven months to sell but it did sell. Will see you at the fall one for sure, maybe even the summer date.

Mel

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:02:51 PM »

Wish I woulda seen this a few days ago....  :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:00:17 PM »

Wish I woulda seen this a few days ago....  :-[

Send some of your friends too.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »

Same day as the M&Y Speyclave, so I'll have to pass.  Hope you guys have a successful day out there!
:D
Tex

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:26:27 AM »

Same day as the M&Y Speyclave, so I'll have to pass.  Hope you guys have a successful day out there!
:D
Tex

Me thinks you got your priorities mixed up, young buddy!
Spey claves abound (There's one every month on average). They are just marketing gimmicks, after all. ;)

Cleanups are a way to give back to the resource that gives us so much.
You better get in your waders and show up at the cleanup tomorrow, young man! >:(
Just kidding...you do whatever turns your crank, buddy!  ;D

skunked

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »

going to try to make it out tommorow anyone going to be fishing afterwords?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »

Chilliwack Progress
Spring cleaning for local rivers

Text   By Jennifer Feinberg - Chilliwack Progress

Published: April 03, 2009 11:00 AM

It also marks the time of year local stewardship groups organize riverside cleanups, and there are at least two coming up.

The Chilliwack-Vedder River Cleanup Coalition is holding its first cleanup on Saturday, April 4, says director Terry Bodman.

“We are making a positive difference in this important recreational area and our aim is to ensure that this area is well looked after,” he said.

The group consistently removes truckfuls of garbage and debris from about a 60-km stretch of the Chilliwack-Vedder River system, and has held about 24 events since 2002.

Last year they removed seven tonnes of potentially deleterious waste out of the bush.

“We look forward to everyone’s continued support,” said Bodman.

Registration is at the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve this Saturday, April 4 between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. and the cleanup runs until noon. More at www.cleanrivers.ca.

If you can’t make that one, here’s another.

It’s the second kick at the can for Woodtone and Fraser Riverkeeper, with their second Fraser River Cleanup at Peg Leg Bar in Chilliwack, on Sunday, April 19, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

The event will be focused on beautifying and restoring the riverbed at Pegleg Bar, while increasing participation in environmental stewardship and awareness of the significance of these gravel bars to local flora and fauna, as well to local residents and community groups who appreciate their value. Last year they removed about four tonnes of waste.

Water, snacks, and all equipment, including gloves and sanitizer, will be provided at the staging areas located at Peg Leg Bar. Volunteers should come prepared for the weather and terrain.

Fraser Riverkeeper is a spokesperson for the Fraser River and its tributaries, building a voice for river restoration, monitoring the river and holding polluters accountable when necessary. “People are frustrated by the inactivity, by the negligence, by the indifference,” said Doug Chapman, who patrols the Fraser River as one of the 9 Waterkeepers now active in Canada. “These waters belong to all of us. It’s about quality of life. About doing something positive.”

To join the Peg Leg cleanup, contact Mary Woodbury at Fraser Riverkeeper via email at mary@fraserriverkeeper.ca or phone 778-737-4422.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 01:39:51 PM »

I wont be able to make it. But i knew this yesterday so I made sure to pack out as much garbage as i could fit in my vest while fishing. I ended up with a hub cap, a lot of tim hortons cups, an oil jug, and some other trash.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »

I wont be able to make it. But i knew this yesterday so I made sure to pack out as much garbage as i could fit in my vest while fishing. I ended up with a hub cap, a lot of tim hortons cups, an oil jug, and some other trash.
Good work, thats why you caught a steelhead. ;D

obie1fish

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 03:26:54 PM »

Sir

Wish I could be there. I'll make a concerted effort to clean up stuff on the banks as I fish. Got too many pockets anyways- why not dedicate one for the environment? Or two? It's been easy for me in the past, so anyone who can't be there Saturday might try it. If you already do, then aim for one more. Lord knows there're a lot of us, and many hands and all that... ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »

Sir

Wish I could be there. I'll make a concerted effort to clean up stuff on the banks as I fish. Got too many pockets anyways- why not dedicate one for the environment? Or two? It's been easy for me in the past, so anyone who can't be there Saturday might try it. If you already do, then aim for one more. Lord knows there're a lot of us, and many hands and all that... ;D
Good stuff. If everyone did as you did we could cut down on the number of cleanups we put on each year. Of course it is always a fair amount of work by the directors to organize them and for others that give up part of their weekend to take part.

Thanks again for doing your part.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »

I have about a dozen Tim Horton refill cups that Chilliwack Tim Hortons gave us to give away at the cleanup.

I will give them away until they are gone to members from this forum that check in at the Tim Horton table or see below. They include a coupon for a free first fill. ;D ;D

If you are coming and would like one you could post here by tonight and I will put your name on one and hold it for you.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »

I have about a dozen Tim Horton refill cups that Chilliwack Tim Hortons gave us to give away at the cleanup.

I will give them away until they are gone to members from this forum that check in at the Tim Horton table or see below. They include a coupon for a free first fill. ;D ;D

If you are coming and would like one you could post here by tonight and I will put your name on one and hold it for you.

Thanks, Chris.
Please put me and my buddy Se-Young down for one each.