Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: South side of vedder (mid river)  (Read 6910 times)

thewilliamswall

South side of vedder (mid river)
« on: February 11, 2013, 09:47:19 PM »

How are you able to access the south side of the vedder by car? My fishing trip on Saturday turned into a day of exploring that didn't get me where I wanted to go! We tried accessing it by turning left just after the vedder bridge but no luck. We saw a reserve, a military base and some huge houses close to cultus but that's it. On google earth it shows the road I was on continuing along the river but it was blocked off. Then we tried going at it from Tamahi. First up the mountain on the FSR but we came to a blocked off bridge and had to turn around. Then we tried hugging the river but that road ended at someone's property(?). There were 5+ cars parked there but you couldn't go any further.

Any info would be great. A few weeks ago I parked at Wilson road and went on a 40min hike to the west. Found a run to myself and was having fun. Then a car pulls up directly across from me. An hour later I walk to the next run and a jeep pulls up directly across from me again! It is possible but I can't figure it out.

Unless the blocked road near the reserve was blocked recently???

Thanks for any help.

No fish to report, my steelhead virginity is still fully intact.

milo

• Old Timer
Re: South side of vedder (mid river)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »

Unless the blocked road near the reserve was blocked recently???

You answered your own question.
Unless you are FN or very good friends with a band member, you can't access the river with your vehicle there anymore.

A few weeks ago I parked at Wilson road and went on a 40min hike to the west. Found a run to myself and was having fun.

And that's what it is all about. If you want to get to the river by car, stick to Peach, Lickman, Train Bridge, KWB and fish with the masses.

islanddude

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »

Sounds like the road on the south side of the river would be a great place to go fishing. Limited access,most fisherman don't like to walk to far these days,solitude if you can find that on the Vedder, increased chance of catching a fish. Time to do what I call ''hike fishing''.You want to catch a steelhead then go where other people are too lazy to go.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »

You should go explore over on that side of the river, leave your civic where you saw the jeep parked, and see what happens...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:40:28 PM »

You can still get back there but im not about to tell you how. You can only do it if you have 4wheel drive  :P

I had a buddy from the interior down and to get away from the crowding we drove in from that side, he saw the blockage and was excited for a big walk until he realized we were gonna drive the entire way in LoL

You wont catch me ever leaving my vehicle out of sight in that area. heard to many stories from others to even try it
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »

There are very few fisherman fishing the native side now.
Natives haven't been as friendly as of late.
I used to fish there for many years. My spots are no longer good since the river changed.
Best spots are from the north side of the river.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »

i actualy just parked in the gravle parking lot to acses the dyke ran across the road walked in to that dirt parking lot by the reserve walked across that little creek and then up the other side the other day and i saw a couple natives and nobody said anything a couple of them were even polite enough to say hello and ask if i caught anything

steelheaderpin

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »

I recently had my car broken in on the native side all 4 windows smashed. last time I park over there.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:41 AM »

I recently had my car broken in on the native side all 4 windows smashed. last time I park over there.
Lots of cars get broken into or vandalized on that side. Risky business

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »

exactly why i wont leave my truck out of sight on that side. when someone breaks all 4 windows they are trying to make a point not rob you  >:(
if i find i cant get back there then i head somewhere else
Check out our new blog

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:43:58 PM »

I also heard there is a sasquach living in that area in a wooden shack.
Beware fishers.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »

ya dont mess with Earl the squatch unless you have brought payment for him otherwise he will push you into the river when you least expect it LoL  :P
Check out our new blog

norton

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »

I know a way down the other side of the river as I have been down  there , but you have to know the trails, and you need a quad. And I'm not telling anyone.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »

I know a way down the other side of the river as I have been down  there , but you have to know the trails, and you need a quad. And I'm not telling anyone.

Oh come on don't be a wuss.
Tell everyone!

norton

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »

You need a quad to make it down the trail , you can make it  as far as liumchien creek.  It's hard to explain which trails to take. At one time as you probably know , you could drive all the way down the south side of the river. In 1989 the river flooded ,and washed out the road. It was great fishing the river , it opened a lot more area to fish, and spread the fishermen out, so as not to overcrowd certain areas.