Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spin and Glow for steelhead...  (Read 13881 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Spin and Glow for steelhead...
« on: January 19, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »

I remembered when I first started steelheading ( 20 years ago ), all I ever used were different colours ( small ) of spin and glow.

I used purple, black, red, orange and blue.

For the first 2-3 years, those steelies will just hammer them. I am not sure what happened after that, they do not seem to like them anymore.

Anyone using spin and glows lately????

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Spin and Glow for steelhead...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »

Theyve always worked, Buddy got one last year on December 23rd bar fishing the canal. Saw one taken this year on spin and glow.
The Bigger The Better!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »

They most certainly work particularly #6

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »

I guess I should try them again!!!!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »

I remembered when I first started steelheading ( 20 years ago ), all I ever used were different colours ( small ) of spin and glow.
For the first 2-3 years, those steelies will just hammer them. I am not sure what happened after that, they do not seem to like them anymore.

What happened is you started with spin-glos because they worked for salmon and you had them in your tackle box. Of course they worked because steelhead is a salmonid after all. Time went by and you evolved as an angler and found other terminal tackle that worked better at some point, so you inadvertently relegated the spin glos to the back burner.
The same happened to me with my confidence fly. I HAD to have it in my box and on EVERY time I was out because I believed it was the cat's rear. Somehow, somewhere, a different fly produced better and my confidence fly became a 'second class citizen' in my fly box although it still works and always will.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 05:54:46 PM »

Have caught many Steelhead on small spin n glows.  If the bottom permits and I have already fished through with float and I confident there are fish in there, I will bottom bounce a spin n glow.   "Change" is the name of the game when it comes to Steelhead, especially on crowded waters such as the Vedder.  I usually cut back on my lead just enough to keep it down and free spool a bit as well.  Hold back slightly while still free spooling ever so slightly . 

glx

WEEFISH

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »

They still work for me  ;D
<"((((><

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »

When I was a pup spin'glos were all we used (when we didn't have bait or bugs) Started out orange was the best but quickly changed to pink.  #6 in high coloured water, down to #12 in lower flows.  Ah, the good old days ... 
A few years ago I hooked 7 fish on the same #8 pink 'glo.  Bastard snag took it before I could find #8 ;D

buck

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »

Ah, the good old days when you use to fish. You really need to get out of the house.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 03:10:49 PM »

Ah, the good old days when you use to fish. You really need to get out of the house.
I can finally get out of the driveway :D  See you at the long table

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 07:28:15 AM »

I think a lot of people get caught up in what they are casting or what they think works better. It does matter what your casting but less then people might think, I have taken steelhead on little stone flies, leach patterns, wool, roe, pink works all kind of stuff sometimes I swear you could throw on a buddwiser cap and you would take fish. Its about finding the fish and presenting your stuff to the fish in the right way and trigering that aggressive strike. I will admit I do favour certain flies etc but I think thats just because you hook a few more fish on one thing then another and all of a sudden its your favourite. It is the confidence factor, you have to be confident in what your throwing out there and the fact that your presentation is going to get you into fish. Its just like dry fly fishing for steelhead. I havent hooked a steelhead on a dry fly yet but I have seen them rise. That doesnt mean that the dry fly wouldnt work or doesnt it just means that most of the time I end up going back to a sunk leech pattern. So of course I catch more fish with it because I use it more. Anyways, spin and glows work, so do corkies just a few weeks ago I watched a guy catch a 20lb buck on a small pink spin and glow.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »

before my granpa died the only things he ever used for steelheading were goey bobs and small pink spin n glows. he caught tons of steelhead all over BC on those small spin n glows. I got all his old gear and i still use those small spin n glows in cleaner water and yes they do work, trout love em to.. and coho. i fish them with a very small fly weighted bead below it to sink it. And i have to agree with you awurban@msn.com, i have caught them on many things, alot of people over think steelhead, and believe roe is the best thing and will catch more fish. But those steelhead have seen so much roe floatin past them they get tired of it, this is where something different works great, like a small spin n glow.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:13:45 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »

Absolutely agree, just start fishing spin in glows, different sizes and colours for all different conditions and I bet pretty soon you will start thinking its better then roe or that pink worm lol

norton

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »

ah the good old days, lol. spin n glows use to work good for me . dirtier water # 6 red and green . or later in feb. and march #8 pearl pink was deadly

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »

ah the good old days, lol. spin n glows use to work good for me . dirtier water # 6 red and green .
Welcome and bang on norton ;)  orange and green were great in coloured water!