Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specific Bait Curing Question?  (Read 3511 times)

Justin

Specific Bait Curing Question?
« on: September 27, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »

I have the Pro Cure Last Supper bait cure and was wondering if someone could tell me how to freeze the eggs (in borax or in the juices left from the eggs)?

Any other related information pertaining to this type of cure would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

DanTfisherman

Re: Specific Bait Curing Question?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:27:26 PM »

It has been a long time since I cured eggs.

I would use liquids and powders such as pro-cure.
I would usually place them in a glass jar and rotate them while I watched a bit of T.V.
When I thought they looked right, I would then space them out on paper towel with newspaper underneath.
After an initial shaking and patting to get the excess off, I would then place them on another paper towel, then cover them with a second paper towel.
After about an hour, I would check them and ensure they were nearly dry, but still somewhat tacky.
I would then drop them in a container and add borax in layers, slowly shaking the container as I went.
At the end, I would seal things up and place them in the freezer.

A few tips which I found used to get the eggs to last longer.

1.  Run the borax through the blender to break up the chunks and make it very fine.
2.  Place boraxed eggs in zip-lock bags and fold them in a way to get all the air out.  I found plastic pails with snap lids (bulk containers, sour cream, etc) made better containers to store the eggs, but the eggs seemed to dry out faster and get freezer burn.
3.  I have heard using a vacume sealer and the proper bags works best, but I could not justify the costs of the bags, time needed, and where to put the eggs once the bag was cut open.  in addition, I would think the sealing process would crush some eggs.

Good luck.  It has been a long time since I have done it.  Found there are other items which work just as well, and in many instances, have found items which work better.

dano

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »

This is my what I do,

1 = I cut the roe into bait size chunks
 2 = Lay them out on a paper towel
 3 = Shake pro-cure over them, not too much though, just a decent sprinkle, turn over and repeat
 4 = Place in a tub/jar in fridge, wait an hour,then turn tub/jar upside down,before going to bed, turn again,leave in fridge overnight
 5 = In morning, spread roe out on something that will let the juices strain out of the roe, give it a couple hours
 6 = Get a shallow rubbermaid storage tote, fill 1/3 of tote with borax
 7 = GENTLY toss the roe in the borax tote, a bit at a time, if using lots of roe, change this borax when it feels damp/clumpy
 8 = Place 16 0z hard plastic tubs/tupperware containers on table, fill  bottom layer of these with new borax 1/4" or so
 9 = take tossed roe and fill tub/ tupperware 1/2 full, another small layer of new borax, then fill with roe and top off with borax,no air pockets should be in the container, when finished. This is a crucial step in the process to prevent freezer burn.
10 = Make sure lids are on good and tight and place in freezer for storage or fridge for immediate use

I've been doing it this way for a long time, and am pleased to say it works fantastic, nice and rubbery texture to the eggs. The roe stays on my hook very well, and lasts for a good amount of casts. I cure it when i get it, and add the date to the container. I try not to have any roe in my freezer that is more than 8 months old, give or take a month  ;)

p.s I forgot to mention, it catches tons of fish too  ;D ;D ;D

Good Luck ......Bently
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:30:25 AM by Bently »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:38:39 AM »

I haven't used last super, but I do use other procure dyes.  I think the trick to procure is less cure and more time.  When I first started curing eggs, I sometimes burned the eggs...they would get crunchy sitting in the procure and would be pretty much ruined.  This is a sign you used too much powder.  I think that mistake was made as I kept adding powder until I got the desired color in the jar (ie the solution) when the eggs looks pale.  If you are patient, they color up as time goes on.

Now I use less cure and let it soak in...48 hrs plus.  I find there are a couple of stages in curing.  The first is what I call a juicing stage.  The powder cure I think pulls liquid out of the eggs...you get a nice wet solution going, I make sure to really mix the eggs at this stage.  After that, it seems to me that the liquid is reabsorbed back into the eggs and with it goes the stain and all the other goodies in the cure.  I have had batches of eggs that looked really runny and wet in the early stages  but 48hrs later (while in a sealed jar) they must have sucked all the liquids right back up.  After this point the can be strained (usually dont need it) and air dried until tacky and then rolled in borax and stored.  

I find if you buterfly the skiens and air dry until tacky, then the process works best...any liquid in the juicing stage is coming from within the eggs and will reabsorb at some point...less liquid left out side the egg, the more stain gets drawn in.

On an interesting note, I procured some sockeye roe 3-4 weeks back.  It sat in a sealed jar with procure double hot red stuff that whole time...never strained, dried, or rolled...nothing more than skiens dropped in the jar with the cure and rolled around.  A month later I wondered what my laziness produced.  The eggs smelled good, they hadnt gone off and over 2 days of fishing (maybe 5-6 total hours) they hooked 9 fish!  I am not a fan of the wet cure as it is messy but man those eggs milked in the water and must have had a huge sent trail and they certainly hooked fish!  

mr.p

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »

I've been using the Last Supper cure for a while now.  Just follow the instructions on the bottle for best results.  I strongly believe that the 3-4 day curing process they advise is the best method to use.  You will be amazed how much juice the eggs suck back in.  At the end of the process there will be very little juice remaining and you will have very succulent and juicy eggs full of scent.  Not sure about the freezing they advise to "activate" the cure.  But what the heck, Procure knows best right....

Everybody has their own little tricks and techniques to cure roe.  I believe ProCure knows best.  Not only do they do research and testing on their own curing methods but they also receive feedback from anglers and guides.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Justin

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replies as I can see everyone has a personal preference.

Mr. P do you freeze them in Borax similar to what others do?  or do you fish so much they don't even get a chance to hit the freezer. LOL  :)?

Thanks again everyone,

Justin

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »

Does anyone know if any shops in the Lowermainland or Chilliwack that carry the last supper cure?

Justin

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 05:43:54 PM »

Eagleye, Berrys carrys the last supper.  I bought the last one though. 

I have cured the eggs I just want to know the best way to preserve them while freezing?

Justin

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »

I was taught to cure my roe with 1 cup salt 1 cup sugar 1 cup borax 1 cup water and just let it mellow out in there for an hour then take out, let dry in a safe area (usually the enclosed bbq cooking surface) for 24-36 hours depending on size of the roe.

I was fishing pink roe from last year that i didn't end up getting any chance to use this past weekend, it had become a bit dry from the freezer but I got a few hits on it, lasted about only 3 casts. However I was given some sockeye roe when I bought some fish, and it turned out really well seemed to be lasting around 6-10 casts depending on the water you're fishing it in.

Anyways, I wrap each skein in plastic wrap then place in the freezer. You could also lay them on a cookie sheet in a freezer for 30 mins or so then vaccum seal so it wont crush the eggs.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »

I use procure double red.....open up skiens (butter-fly)
sprinkle a good amount of procure on
throw all in bucket
stirr couple times a day
let sit in there for 1-2 weeks
take out and roll in borax
let sit in borax over night
re bath in new borax
borax and roe-borax and roe-borax and roe in bag till full.
freeze in zip lock
or vacuum pack