Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UV lures  (Read 2735 times)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
UV lures
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:22:08 AM »

Anybody in town sell them, just read an article in STS magazine and was wondering, or the UV spray
Take the T out of Morton.

Dr. Backlash

Re: UV lures
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »

I read the same article and many other simillar/related articles.  I've been searching all over the UV lures/baits  for some time now and I've come to realize that they're somewhat difficult to come by.  I called Berry's and specifically asked them if they carried UV baits/lures and the guy had no idea what I talking about - he ended up saying "yes we do have "glow" lures".  I tried to explain to him that "glow" lures and "ultra violet" lures are different in the sense that UV reflects light and Glow lures absorb light - they are not the same thing.  He had no idea what I was talking about.  I found some UV hoochies at Nikka's in Steveston (but they only have a few to choose from).  Never seen any in Army & Navy or Canadian Tire or Walmart.  Even on Ebay they are tough to find.  But I did find some on Ebay and I ordered some from States.  My suggestion would be to go online because it'll be much easier to find UV lures.  It might even be easier to order UV paint and paint your lures; most, if not all tackle stores in the US are not allowed to ship paints/liquids across the border (I don't know why), so you may have to order paints from with Canada.  From what I've read, UV lures work best in clear water (salt water) and Glow lures work better in murky water (fresh water).  Good luck!

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:16:12 PM »

Well Ill check into the UV paint then...the company I work for has a paintshop so Ill query my buds in that department...sure would be nice to try here for the pinks in a week or 2

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »

UV lures seem to the "in" things these days. There is a product called "Fool-a-Fish"; it's a spray that you apply to lures and bait. Suppose to make your lures brighter thus attracting fish. Pro-Cure has UV Flash gel which you can apply to your lures. Both products are available at most tackle shops.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 06:41:45 PM »

Thnx for the info

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »

An easy way to 'UV' your lure is to buy some 'UV' crystal flash and tie it down to the hook using tying thread.
Actions speak louder than words.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:21:19 PM »

UV stuff has been in Washington for a good year now.  Hasn't made a huge splash.  IMO, I use it once in a while, but I think it's more presentation (speed, action, depth, scent, color) than reflecting UV.  If you are very concerned with it, I'd recommend real silver blades, they've always done the same thing.    One more thing, you can also get uv bait cure for roe made by pro cure. 

Jona

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »

You can buy UV spray at Army and Navy.