Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vacuum packing cured roe?  (Read 2957 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Vacuum packing cured roe?
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:58:41 PM »

Am the proud owner of a Food Saver vacuum packer and wondering if anyone has attempted to vacuum pack their cured roe?

After I procure my roe, normally I pack it in borax in magarine and yogurt containers in the freezer. As can be expected, it does dry out.

I'm thinking now that I would procure, dust with borax, put into bags and freeze so the juices aren't sucked into the packer, and then vacuum pack.

(Of course, I'd have to re-assure my beloved that the pink stains are from thsi year's cherries and not procured roe!)

Anyone else tried this?

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Vacuum packing cured roe?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:10:41 PM »

Thanks Birdman, however I wasn't looking for borax packing advice. There are other reasons that I'm exploring vacuum packing other than just drying out.

fullahead

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:13 PM »

I put a birthday candle in a canning jar, then tighten the lid.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:25:45 PM »

I know Trophyhunter vaccuum packed his roe last year for the first time and it seemed to be just fine.  I thought that the sealing would crush the roe but that didn't seem to be the case. 
President Club S. C. & P.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:32:39 PM »

Use the manual setting so you don't crush the roe.  or, you can get the jar attachment.  Personally, I don't store more than I can use in a year.  Therefore, jarring them with the wax paper and match method works just as well. 

mess

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 07:48:02 PM »

Fold up a paper towel about 2 inches from the opening in the bag.   This way any juices have to travel thru the paper towel when the vacum is on.   

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 09:42:48 PM »

I think freezing first is an excellent idea.
If in fact you are going to freeze it anyway.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 11:20:43 AM »

jaring is the best way and it will last 4-5 years in the freezer if you burn the air up using wax paper.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 09:29:43 PM »

Just to report how this turned out..

Procured pink roe, coated in borax (shake and bake style), put into bag, freeze for a couple of days and vacuum pack. Worked like a charm. And not a drop of procure spilled on the packer.

End product was very much appreciated (or not) yesterday by a wild coho, and 2 other fish that took roe, acted very un-pink-like, but couldn't get an ID before we parted ways.

Many offered their unsolicited opinions about the merits of canning however, IMHO, these little bags offer a great deal more flexibility. Just pop an extra one in the back of your vest, and if unused at days end, just pop it back into the freezer. Unused roe is still freezer packed which is not the case with the canning menthod...   

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:39:31 PM by clarki »

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 11:32:54 PM »

multiple freeze/thaws might weaken the structure of the egg membrane and lead to soft eggs in the future.  moral of the story is, try to estimate just the amount you will use and bring that much out. 

hotrod

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 03:56:28 PM »

A couple of years back I vac-packed two skeins of roe in one bag. They stayed firm and good until I cured them the following spring. Untreated and uncured. Works fine. Left the packer on normal setting of 2. But the #3 setting fot moist works good too. Vac-packing cured roe kind of defeats the purpose of curing roe.

Hotrod