Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do you like Steelheading?  (Read 5045 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Why do you like Steelheading?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 09:53:54 PM »

There isnt many and its more of a hunt.
If i caught 10 Steelhead everytime out i would have probably quit fishing them by now.
Or had a lot of people following me from my driveway. ;D

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »

I was fortunate enough to grow up the son of a obsessed stealhead fisherman who grew up being the son of an obsessed steelheader.  When I started walking  he felt I was old enough to start fishing. From the time I was nine years old my dad would take me out of school every year for a week around Rem. Day to fish the Thompson and every summer we fished the Skeena, mostly the Copper and other tribs so catching 10 fish a day was not uncommon even though there was no such thing as "hatcheries". I have been fishing every year since for them and I'm not lying when I tell you are barely sleep a wink the night before I go.  My wife just shakes her head but for me fishing is just like Christmas morning to a kid.  Sleep is over rated anyways. Seeing that float go down, striking without thinking about it, and feeling those two or three monster head shakes is right up there with good sex.  And the nice thing about it is it is often more than once.  The other thing that totally amazes me, and I am not exagerating because I have seen it on numerous occaisions, is some of those Thompson and Skeena steelies are so strong that they are capable of running out 50 yards, will jump into the air, and your entire line comes out of the water!  I've never seen a salmon do that.

druid

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 12:37:15 PM »

Well, my preference is floating around a small lake in my dinghy, catching 'bows on a fly in the sunshine. But for the winter, we have two options (three if you count ice-fishing, but that's Just Silly ;) ): Cutthroat and Steelhead.

Now, the advantage of cutthroat hunting is I already have the license and the gear, and the spots are usually deserted (which may be a clue as to why I never catch one!). But muddy sloughbanks just don't do it for me, and chances are, there are no trout in the water anyway.

For Steel, I have to buy the stamp, which means I feel obligated to go out at least a few times, which puts pressure on me. BUT:
1. the river is beautiful, and there's always some places where there are no crowds (again, probably indicating I'm in the Wrong Spot to catch one, but still...)
2. Chances are pretty good there are at least SOME fish in the vicinity - so any cast COULD bag me a 10-lber!

So - another year where I buy the stamp and lose gear to the rock gods...

druid
"Apathy meeting this Friday. If you want to come, you're not invited"