Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The "Master" has spoken! Amen!  (Read 6741 times)

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
Re: The "Master" has spoken! Amen!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 03:00:42 PM »

I'm not sure if you are trying to make a joke or what, but If not, how is this relevant to fisheries issues and the double standard exhibited by Mr. Crey's statement? It seems you are getting sidetracked again Prettyfly, can we discuss how Mr. Crey's comments and actions might affect our fisheries? That was the initial intent of this post, was it not?

*I* think Mr. Crey's comments are a direct reflection of the double standards that are,seemingly the way the federal government works.

The facts are simple. The federal government tries to pass off responsibility to individual provinces and the provinces try to create laws they cannot uphold. The DFO gets caught between Federal and provincial jurisdiction that reflect badly to the general population. Provincially sanctioned organizations form in an effort to protect their interests and try to rally the DFO and Provincial Government to back them. They try to demand that the First Nation communities oblige them in discussion. The reality is, that First Nation people are not under provincial jurisdiction, they are a federal body. First Nation communities have to answer only to the Federal Government. First Nation communities are not obligated to deal with anyone other than the Federal Government. The Federal Government tries to skirt the issues and once again pass the buck off to the Provincial Government. Until that cycle is broken, bands will continue to voice their concerns, some like Cheam will continue to petition the federal government in any means necessary until it is resolved.
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

Ribwart

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 04:27:38 PM »

Seems like a real cluster$$% to me, it's unfortunate the Cheam band won't talk to the province, and equally unfortunate the feds won't talk to the Cheam band....but what about Mr. Crey's Statement about "First Nations making every effort to work with local anglers to resolve differences"? Just because the Cheam band doesn't want to talk to the province, and the Feds are being goofs, it seems like it only contributes to the problem if The Cheam band Starts talks with local anglers, and then leaves the table before anything is accomplished.....This is a very complicated problem, involving groups of people with very complicated dynamics and obviously it is going to take some serious changes to the system to resolve the issue....

Now Prettyfly, you see how much more productive it is when you actually talk about the topic of the thread than going off on tangents like that? Now we can discuss what can be done, rather than what was done....isn't this better than name calling and insults?

So, can anyone shed some light on why the Federal Government won't talk to the Cheam band, and likewise why the cheam band won't engage in discussion with the provincial gov't????
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 06:31:02 PM by Ribwart »

ko

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 09:31:44 PM »

hey pretty , just wondering how much fish you eat say in a month, im not to clear on actually natives that fish for food and ceremonial purposes,actually eat in a month

Ribwart

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 09:55:51 AM »

I believe it was stated in an earlier thread that prettyfly doesn't eat fish, ko.  8)

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 06:34:55 PM »

I believe it was stated in an earlier thread that prettyfly doesn't eat fish, ko.  8)

Where? I'm beginning to wonder about your intentions.

I'd eat salmon every second day if I could. I'm lactose intolerant (like most first nation people) and don't get enough calcium in my diet. Salmon is high in calcium, especially canned salmon. My kids absolutely love salmon as well. Dried salmon, smoked salmon, canned salmon, bbqed salmon. Fish and rice was a staple in college I think I did eat at least twice a week as my boyfriend was a river person. My brother in law fishes for us and it's not in the amounts that you'd think. I think between my parents and I we only have like 4 salmon in the freezer so I have to spread it around.

What I said is I don't fish for salmon. I've only ever fished for trout. I'm hoping to change that this year.
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

Ribwart

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 06:56:21 PM »

Sorry, my bad...got two different forums mixed up! LoL  ;D (No offence)
rib

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 07:02:32 PM »

Sorry, my bad...got two different forums mixed up!

You mean... There is another forum? :o :'(

;)

Ribwart

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 07:15:07 PM »

Only if you recognize this forum as the genuine original, and all others as purely imitations  ;)