Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Weekend at Harrison  (Read 5410 times)

RossP

My Weekend at Harrison
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:07:05 PM »

For Easter I took my wife to Harrison Hot Springs Resort for a romantic weekend. What a mistake. We have been there once before for our anniversary in January when the place was empty. This past weekend I thought I was at a Disney Family Park. For a place to advertise as a Romantic Getaway, they are misleading the public. Until 11:30 at night there is no place in the hotel/resort to go without screaming/loud kids. Now do not get me wrong I love kids I work with them everyday and i love my job, but this weekend was to be all about me and my wife. Even in the lounge there are kids, oh sure they are not allowed in the lower part but the lower part is only three stairs down and there are kids looking over/through the railing.
At breakfast and dinner (they were included in our package) there were kids running around the restaurant, bumping into tables and yelling. On Sunday night we went to dinner at 8:45 15 minutes before they closed to try and have a quiet dinner, once again we were foiled by the young ones, one who had brought a three foot stick from the woods with him and was swinging it around.
The hours for the pools is a joke, the adult only pool closes at 11:00pm as do all the outdoor pools. All the outdoor pools are adult only from 10-11 so the kids go to the indoor pools at 10pm, but once again the resort does not seem to want adults because the kids can stay in the indoor pools until 11:30, half an hour after the adult get kicked out of the outdoor pools.
This will be our last time going to the Harrison Hot Springs Resort, after spending over $600.00 for a romantic weekend and not getting what was advertised, and then being told by the manager that they were full and had a lot of kids (no kidding sherlock) he said he did not realize there was no place for adults to go without kids around, and this was a manager. We did not even get an apology. I will be taking my bushiness elsewhere.
A great place to take kids, but not so good if you want a quiet romantic weekend. It does not exist at Harrison Hot Springs Resort.   
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: My Weekend at Harrison
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:25:50 PM »

the very reason we stopped going there.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

jeff

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »

O the good old Harrison Hot Springs hotel, don't even get me started on them we had our wedding there and lets just say they didn't make it the most enjoyable experience.
Enjoying the water..........

daijoubu

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »

Easter break has got to be a tough time for them, but you'd think he would have at least offered you a free weekend to come back when the kids were in school...

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »

How was the fishing?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:38:57 PM »

Plus for the money the rooms are very average. I have stayed in nicer rooms for less money. Wife and I have been there twice. Once where we paid and once for free. I would go there again if it was free but thats about it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

noobfisher

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:48:05 AM »

Considered going there once with the wife, after reading trip advisor we avoided that place.  Sounds like a similar experience to what you described.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:39:28 AM »

Those kids your complaining about were the product of a "romantic weekend". :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

one more cast

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »

Those kids your complaining about were the product of a "romantic weekend". :)

Good one :) :) :) :)

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »

If you want quiet and romantic, go to Rowena's in Harrison Mills. Very nice cabins, set in the woods, with fireplaces. The food is pretty good too. Golfing next door and the fishing might be worth checking out. I've stayed there, it's almost too quiet, but lots of interesting places to drive to near-by. You have to like your wife to really enjoy this place. ::)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 08:31:58 PM »

You have to like your wife to really enjoy this place. ::)

Good one.
Not all those who wander are lost

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Ross. My wife have been there several times for getaways and enjoyed ourselves each time and keep going back. The only times we have had a bad experience is when the Canadian Labour Congress has their Winter School and the restaraunt and pool are plugged full off union activists. Different aged kids... :)

Robert_G

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 10:51:23 PM »

If you want quiet and romantic, go to Rowena's in Harrison Mills. Very nice cabins, set in the woods, with fireplaces. The food is pretty good too. Golfing next door and the fishing might be worth checking out. I've stayed there, it's almost too quiet, but lots of interesting places to drive to near-by. You have to like your wife to really enjoy this place. ::)

only heard good things about Rowena's....been meaning to take the wife there.

FreshyPT

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »

That was a bummer to read. It appears returning back to work was more of a relaxation than the vacation!
Next time rent yourself a comfy RV and head up to the many lakes in that area  :D
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.
~ Just Keep Fishing ~

RossP

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »

Next time I think I will take the wife to Ainsworth. A bit of a drive but at least in Ainsworth but at least there you can get away from kids. The wife loves hot springs so I like taking her to them. Also if I take her to Ainsworth I can hit a few spots to fish either on the way there or on the way back.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.